Nikon D70s or D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispie

Apr 23, 2007
Hi all,

I was active with photography a few years back with a pentax SLR films. Am seriously thinking of getting back at shooting, but with a Nikon DSLR this time.

I do not really know much about DSLR now, but am considering only Nikon.

My budget is around 2k plus minus $500 and thus is considering Nikon D70S or D80. I think they are pretty close but what is the recommendations from you guys who are the pros?

I know if is pretty clear that D80 has more functions etc, but if there is no need to spend that extra few hundred, i may as well save it if i have gotten the D70S. Will appreciate greatly if i can get some advice here.

Thanks all!

Chris

Used D70s bodies can be bought for probably $700 or less (I sold mine for $700 2 weeks ago), which is almost half the price of a brand new D80. It's a really good buy, IMHO.

Hi all,

I was active with photography a few years back with a pentax SLR films. Am seriously thinking of getting back at shooting, but with a Nikon DSLR this time.

I do not really know much about DSLR now, but am considering only Nikon.

My budget is around 2k plus minus $500 and thus is considering Nikon D70S or D80. I think they are pretty close but what is the recommendations from you guys who are the pros?

I know if is pretty clear that D80 has more functions etc, but if there is no need to spend that extra few hundred, i may as well save it if i have gotten the D70S. Will appreciate greatly if i can get some advice here.

Thanks all!

Chris

I have used both and can advice u on the following:

Get the D80 IF:
- u need 11 pt + slightly faster AF (most of the time u may find yourself using centre pt only)

-u need "exposure delay" (some kinda pseudo mirror lockup, mirror will flip up first then exposure made ~0.4s later)

-u want to manual focus (the d70s is HORRIBLE for MF because of the small Viewfinder)

-u intend to get a battery grip

In most other aspects, they are somewhat equal (well maybe except for the megapixel count...)

Noise handling wise, I do not notice too much difference.

One pt: he D70s has MUCH longer battery life (possibly due to the smaller LCD)

I'm using D80 :thumbsup:

As for Battery life, a fully charged EN-EL3e could last me like 2 outings of about 6 hrs walk-about (cam permnantly ON) and occassionally a few shots here and there. And according to the Cam''s pic meter (shown at the battery info page), I can usually clock 500+ shots per fully charged batt.

do you want better colour of camera?

do you want better CLS control?

do you want a bigger VF?

do you want a better and clearer LCD?

do you want a 10x or 20x digital zoom? (This one i not too sure how many times excatly)

do you want to use AA batt to power your cam?

do you want D lighting to help improve your pics?

if you want most of those up there, you would want a D80.

Status
Not open for further replies.