Nikon D70s or D50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM.Lee

Jun 4, 2006
Hi, I own a 6-yr-old Olympus Camedia C3030, 3.1 megapixel digital camera. It has served me well. Now, I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR.

Can any seasoned photography buff advise me the pros & cons of Nikon D50 & D70s? Matter of factly, pls help me make a rational decision between these two.

My objectives of getting a DSLR:
  1. To capture Candid shots of my months-old boy (e.g. spontaneous Smiles & Gestures)
  2. To capture close-up Portrait shots of my months-old boy
  3. WYSIWYG, unlike my 4:3 format C3030 where top/bottom get cropped during photo development
  4. Speedier photo-shooting capability, unlike my C3030 which takes 5s to write to SmartMedia, a 2048x1536 resolution shot
  5. Clarity & more vibrant colours
  6. To capture multi-frame shots of my dogs running in the field, with utmost clarity

I like D70s handling. It's heavier & feel sturdier. I also prefer D70s lens to D50. But as I'm a novice user who probably won't ever toy with manual adjustment of aperture, shutter speed, etc. & will solely rely on automatic... And given my objectives above, does it make a difference, & is it wise paying $500 extra for a D70s to D50?

Thanks very much.
SM

Refer to the Nikon subforum.

Any currently good P&S camera are better than your DSLR. :dunno:

Don't think it is good to do photo shoot at your month old child if you are using flash. :dunno:

get the D70s.

Following the lead from Westwest1, I came to read this page: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm, where there was a detailed comparison between D50 & D70s.

The 1 thing I like about D50 is the readily available Child vari-program mode dial & the Self-Timer button. And the 1 thing I might regret would be D50 in-built Flash's inability to control the firing of external flash. Or is it inability to remote control the firing of external flash? Do you usually need an external flash, taking night portrait or landscape shots, say in the city?

The Ken Rockwell article above seems to be all for D50 to D70s. Why then do so many of you recommend D70s? Will D70s be more difficult to use, for a novice who probably doesn't have time to explore P, S, A, M but rather conveniently uses Auto most of the time?

For those of you who are pro D70s, do you actually make use of those extra D70s functions missing on D50? Thks.

By the way, sorry that I don't really know much about camera lens. Is there a big difference between D50's 18-55mm & D70s 18-70mm lens? Does the difference of 15mm make a big difference in zooming?

SM.Lee said:
For those of you who are pro D70s, do you actually make use of those extra D70s functions missing on D50? Thks.

Yes, I do and I will.

The point to consider is this: "It's not what we prefer but what you prefer and will use in time to come".

Right now I can tell you that both cameras are not in my consideration list but the D200, would that make you justifiable to buy a D200?

Consider your own preference and your needs and justify accordingly to if you need the features on the D70S.

Everybody here wants the most value for money camera body, but often, that's based on our needs (or unrealistic wants :bsmilie: ) before we decide. What goes for me will not go for you.

Given that, both cameras are good and capable in their own areas, the extra features on the D70S is worth that $500 (to me), but some who don't need those (like nightwolf75) will find the D50 a better buy.

Evaluate and justify your needs, not listen to others. At this rate, one will introduce Canon, the other Minolta and finally Fuji, and at the end of the day you will not get what you wanted to in the first place.

Hope this helps.

SM.Lee said:
Hi, I own a 6-yr-old Olympus Camedia C3030, 3.1 megapixel digital camera. It has served me well. Now, I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR.

Can any seasoned photography buff advise me the pros & cons of Nikon D50 & D70s? Matter of factly, pls help me make a rational decision between these two.

1. To capture Candid shots of my months-old boy (e.g. spontaneous Smiles & Gestures)
  3. WYSIWYG, unlike my 4:3 format C3030 where top/bottom get cropped during photo development
  4. Speedier photo-shooting capability, unlike my C3030 which takes 5s to write to SmartMedia, a 2048x1536 resolution shot
  6. To capture multi-frame shots of my dogs running in the field, with utmost clarity
I like D70s handling. It's heavier & feel sturdier. I also prefer D70s lens to D50. But as I'm a novice user who probably won't ever toy with manual adjustment of aperture, shutter speed, etc. & will solely rely on automatic... And given my objectives above, does it make a difference, & is it wise paying $500 extra for a D70s to D50?

Thanks very much.
SM

I think, for your needs as described, the D50 is probably the better choice for you. :think:

But you need to bear in mind, that to take good pictures with a SLR (whether Digital or not), depends alot on technique, skill and the lens used. You might actually find that the pictures you get straight out from a slr may not be as clear or vibrant as your Olympus.

Perhaps the best way to decide is to actually borrow/rent the cameras and try them out for a day.

just me 2 cents.

Myself have been like u, considering the D50 and the D70s, and finally bought the D70s. partly of cos is i chanced upon a good deal in BnS.

I would say i prefer the D70s cos of its overall feeling, the sturdy and good grip when in oppose to the smaller D50 that i feel doesnt feel nice.

but cameras are great, my fren do have the D50 as well, tried it out.

i like the amount of control that is more easily change on the D70 and not on the D50. But D50 can also control them as well, jus maybe u need to press more button.

as for the lens, i prefer the 18-70mm cos it feels more sturdy as well, as its metal. the 18-55mm is plastic.

finally, as espn said, u got to choose by reviewing urself. when i bought this cam, my fren also tell me not to regret, must really want it myself. best is try it out than buy. my fren do rent out his D70 sometimes and also some of his lens. if u want can PM me and i refer u to him.

hope u get ur desired cam soon!

SM.Lee said:

Thanks very much.
SM

If you are not into playing with the manual settings, i guess you are also not into buying too much assessories, why don;t you consider the Pentax range, can save at least 200 bucks comparing to the D50......and comparing with the D70s, you can buy another pns

SM.Lee said:

Thanks very much.
SM

since you already said you prefer d70s so just get it... y still compare...
anyway for the above requirement, what d70s can do, d50 can do as well. i recommand getting 50mm f1.8 for the speed

SM.Lee said:

Thanks very much.
SM

Have u seen the review here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

Comparison table: Nikon D70 vs. Nikon D70s vs. Nikon D50

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp

Might help you to decide whether you will need the extra feature in D70s or not.

if one is not going to learn manual controls, why bother with DSLR? just buy a p&s, does the same thing and saves u 1k. expensive camera does not neccessary give out good pictures.

with that said, if u really want to get a DSLR, get the D50. the extra functions wont mean much to u anyways if u are not even going to learn the basics of photography.

Zaknafein said:
if one is not going to learn manual controls, why bother with DSLR? just buy a p&s, does the same thing and saves u 1k. expensive camera does not neccessary give out good pictures.

with that said, if u really want to get a DSLR, get the D50. the extra functions wont mean much to u anyways if u are not even going to learn the basics of photography.
Siao liao!! I don't know manual controls and I don't know the basics of photography :cry:

thunderdell said:
Have u seen the review here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

Comparison table: Nikon D70 vs. Nikon D70s vs. Nikon D50

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp

Might help you to decide whether you will need the extra feature in D70s or not.

Thanks thunderdell for this lead. I'll read it carefully.
And thanks very much to all for your candid feedback.

SM.Lee said:
Thanks thunderdell for this lead. I'll read it carefully.
And thanks very much to all for your candid feedback.

You are welcome.
I was once in your position, before I finally decided to buy D50.
With the extra $500, I could buy SB600 and 50mm f1.8 :thumbsup: lens.

SM.Lee said:
Now, I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR.

the reason being
1. the autofocus of your existing camera is too slow
2. the writing speed of your existing camera is too slow
3. the continuous burst frequency of your existing camera is too slow
4. the shots you shoot with your existing camera is not sharp enough
5. the colors you shoot with your existing camera is not vibrant enough
6. the picture ratio you have is 1.33, but you want it to be wider

but the bottom line is
1. you like something heavier and sturdier.
2. you are not going to learn more about handling of light and camera settings
3. you will be only using automatic mode and scene modes such as children mode
4. you won't be thinking of investing more in the accessory...... at least for now ;)
5. you want to shoot your baby

i'm a first time DSLR user from compact digital, and have upgraded from also a 3.2MP camera, now using D50, still a newbie, but let me share my thoughts

1. the autofocus of your existing camera is too slow

in general, AF in DSLR should be faster than compacts, but you may want to check out on that. between D50 and D70s, people have been saying AF is faster on D50. however, i'm thinking the AF process is not just on the camera body but also on the lens also.

D50 +1
D70s 0

2. the writing speed of your existing camera is too slow

writing speed again depends on the camera body and the memory cards used. do consider that D50 is using SD card while D70s is using compact flash. you can share your SD cards between your compact and your DSLR, but note that some compact are already using other cards such as xD. on the other hand D70s share the compact flash with the other higher end cameras. again, do consider if other compacts or prosumer can do a better job too.

D50 +1
D70s +1

3. the continuous burst frequency of your existing camera is too slow

i think if i didn;t rem wrongly. D50 is 2.5fps while D70s is 3fps. again, do consider if other compacts or prosumer can do a better job too.

D50 +1
D70s +2

4. the shots you shoot with your existing camera is not "sharp" enough

for that you have to understand the basics of light and metering and achieve the best shot with the correct setting (suitable shutter duration, correct focus point, DOF, ISO level) and the best steadiness such as handheld techniques and tripod techniques. what the equipments can do is on the resolution of the sensor, the quality of the sensor at the relevant ISO level, the quality of the lens at that focal length, the existence of vibration reduction technologies on the lens and the existence of support accessories such as tripods, monopods, bean bags, fist grips. but bear in mind that many many many factors will affect that "sharpness".

both D50 and D70s is 6.1MP and both comes with ISO 200-1600. D50 have less noise at the same ISO, so D50 +1. D70s kit lens is better as ppl said so D70 also +1.

D50 +2
D70s +3

5. the colors you shoot with your existing camera is not vibrant enough

whether vibrant or not depends on the color contrast and the detail contrast. if you dun do post-processing and you save in raw files, DSLR have blander pictures with more details but can be tweaked further to suit your taste. if you do save in jpegs, think that you will be at the mercy of the camera's internal settings and your tweaking in the camera's menu which i doubt you will do. as color perception differs from ppl to ppl, it is hard to compare, except that raw files differ from jpeg files. and if you save in jpeg files, you may not need to consider a DSLR but just get a gd compact with gd color representation that suits your taste. i heard D50 have better color representation than D70s but i;m not sure and as i said it depends on individuals - what you think is well-saturated and well-contrasted may be over-saturated and over-contrasted to me. as i'm not sure and it is subjective to perception, no score for both

6. the picture ratio you have is 1.33, but you want it to be wider

you can get a ratio of 1.50, is that ok for you? no diff between the two.

1. you like something heavier and sturdier.

think twice, if you shoot at home, it is al'rite, but the size and weight will affect you carrying around on travels. but since you want something heavier, D70s +1

D50 +2
D70s +4

2. you are not going to learn more about handling of light and camera settings

it is a pity. but for that might be better to get D50 with less features and cheaper. and if you use the simpler camera and get interested in serious photography, you can always upgrade in the next few years on newer models. and if you dun get more interested in the advance settings, at least you haven't waste that money.

D50 +3
D70s +4

3. you will be only using automatic mode and scene modes such as children mode

both have it.

4. you won't be thinking of investing more in the accessory...... at least for now ;)

like i mentioned above. +1 already given to D50.

5. you want to shoot your baby

consider low light and VR settings. you won't be able to capture well unless you use flash. i'm a non-flash user. but dun think the two differs in terms of capability to capture in low light setting which is of cos like what i mentioned about camera stability depends on many factors.

so think again. :dunno: see if you are getting more confused and perplexed :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.