nikon d70s low light problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

retwonet

Feb 18, 2007
Hello fellow snappers,

any users of nikon D70s or nikon system in general? any problems with low light photography? ive realised that it is virtually impossible to shoot a d70s without flash without pushing ISO to 1000 & above. Either that or gotta expose for long. 1/8 or more otherwise image is very underexposed. The problem is long exposures will cause unwanted motion.

i thought nothing of it until i recently put the d70s to the test against a sony minolta alpha & found out that at the same settings (iso 400, 1/35, f3.5) indoors, both results on the nikon d70s & sony minolta yield vastly different results with d70s very underexposed. sony on the other hand was very spot on.

Any users of nikon care to shed light? is this a common problem? low light photography wise.

auto WB for nikon d70s also very temperamental. results vary for same setting & lighting conditions.

im so frustrated i am considering switching to canon for good.

Hello fellow snappers,

any users of nikon D70s or nikon system in general? any problems with low light photography? ive realised that it is virtually impossible to shoot a d70s without flash without pushing ISO to 1000 & above. Either that or gotta expose for long. 1/8 or more otherwise image is very underexposed. The problem is long exposures will cause unwanted motion.

i thought nothing of it until i recently put the d70s to the test against a sony minolta alpha & found out that at the same settings (iso 400, 1/35, f3.5) indoors, both results on the nikon d70s & sony minolta yield vastly different results with d70s very underexposed. sony on the other hand was very spot on.

Any users of nikon care to shed light? is this a common problem? low light photography wise.

auto WB for nikon d70s also very temperamental. results vary for same setting & lighting conditions.

i don't have this problem. maybe it is a problem with your camera. check it out. :dunno:

i don't have this problem. maybe it is a problem with your camera. check it out. :dunno:

hmmm... its just underexposed in indoor environment. Have to use flash(which is something i want to avoid cos its not very discreet. Less than a year old but may get it serviced.

Any problems with auto WB? Its not very spot on.

About canon. Most def switching to a 1D nark ii N soon. I just want to get to the bottom of this d70s thing.

Arrggh!

set to M mode. 1/50 shutter f/5.6 with SB800 should work fine. if not, something is wrong with your metering.

as for WB, canon's WB is traditionally atrocious in tungsten lighting

Hello fellow snappers,

i use the D70s, can safely tell you Nikon tends to 'underexpose' as the system is much better at preserving shadow details. Canon on the other hand is better at preserving highlight details. D70s is an entry level DSLR, if you expect this camera to work like magic then you ought to change system. the out of camera file only contain the necessary file information required for post processing. if you want good out of camera pictures, you'll need to install custom curve to change the original curve inside the camera. there are good points and bad points in every camera system, you just need to know them and work around them. for example i tried my friend's 1Dmk2 with a prime portraiture lens on tripod shooting in a studio before, the outcome is surprisingly soft. that's one major reason why i'll never go into Canon system, Nikon systems still produce sharper pictures, at least from what i see. at the end of the day, as a rule of thumb, if you're not happy with the system, yes you ought to change it.

Hello fellow snappers,

Hi retwonet

First of all, wish you a Happy New Year. :)

Base on your explaination above, there is no problem on your D70s.

In low light, there is nothing wrong in using high ISO or flash.
There is a lot to learn on including low light photography which I will not explain more here.

Take sometimes to learn, read of information in CS, or seek advise from some of the grandmaster here (like wazzup or eikin), or join CSers in photo outing.

If you dun manage to learn the tactics, whatever system you use would be the same results.

Not true. Pictures with canon is not soft. Only miscalibrated systems or poor focusing techniques produces soft pics.

.......for example i tried my friend's 1Dmk2 with a prime portraiture lens on tripod shooting in a studio before, the outcome is surprisingly soft. that's one major reason why i'll never go into Canon system, Nikon systems still produce sharper pictures, at least from what i see......

Not true. Pictures with canon is not soft. Only miscalibrated systems or poor focusing techniques produces soft pics.

then either i'm 'sway' to have seen a miscalibrated one or my friend is a lousy shooter lor, my friend set up everything, i only press the cable release :bsmilie:

anyway like i said, every camera has good and bad points, one needs to learn to work with or around them. no use giving the system all the praises and produce crappy pictures right? :)

Hello fellow snappers,

actually...there dun seem to be any problem from what i read...

Cannot really compare with other brands of camera also...you have to work already your camera and knowing your basic...dun compare like this cause other brands are using diff lens also...

I saw your reply that you might be getting a 1D mk2 N...even u get that camera...u might have the same problem...

I shoot at the durian there...sometime i have to go 1/6 with flash at iso400 at f4...only then is bright and sharp enough...

just my 2 cents...

I have to agree with Eikin, Canon usually produces softer images out of the camera....if you want sharp images, you have to push the "sharp" settings in the menu up. I usually prefer the images to be softer and after I edit the pics then I just do a "smart sharpen" or "USM" in PS.

As for switching system, it is a personal choice. By switching system, it may not automatically let you get the pics that you want. I am just wondering have you spend enough time to get to know your current camera. I have seen people taking solid night shots with D70s.....

i use the D70s, can safely tell you Nikon tends to 'underexpose' as the system is much better at preserving shadow details. Canon on the other hand is better at preserving highlight details. D70s is an entry level DSLR, if you expect this camera to work like magic then you ought to change system. the out of camera file only contain the necessary file information required for post processing. if you want good out of camera pictures, you'll need to install custom curve to change the original curve inside the camera. there are good points and bad points in every camera system, you just need to know them and work around them. for example i tried my friend's 1Dmk2 with a prime portraiture lens on tripod shooting in a studio before, the outcome is surprisingly soft. that's one major reason why i'll never go into Canon system, Nikon systems still produce sharper pictures, at least from what i see. at the end of the day, as a rule of thumb, if you're not happy with the system, yes you ought to change it.

Hi yall,

i guess wat im trying to describe is at the same ISO, f/stop & shutter settings, the nikon d70s is greatly under-exposed as compared to a sony A-100. im sure different models has their strength & weakness. But the difference is too great. Even the auto WB on d70s is super off.

Compare the both.

Sony A-100:
sony.jpg

Nikon D70s:
nikon.jpg

Both were taken at auto WB, ISO 400, f5, 1/20 but show great difference.

Is something wrong with my d70s???

Any takers?

Another comparison.... shot at ISO 800, 1/15, f5, auto WB

Nikon D70s result:
nikon2.jpg

sony a-100 result:
sony2.jpg

I may be wrong, but i can conclude 1 thing that it the type of lens you use.
Every lens has different elements, some more some less. Depending on the light pass through the elements, which is then reach the sensor at "different" speed or diffuse off.

As for auto WB, *almost everyone know D70/s WB got to take control by using cloudy -1, to get generally warm effect.

The differences could also be due to the settings in the cameras. These settings can also affect the final output of your pics. :think:

Hi yall,

i guess wat im trying to describe is at the same ISO, f/stop & shutter settings, the nikon d70s is greatly under-exposed as compared to a sony A-100. im sure different models has their strength & weakness. But the difference is too great. Even the auto WB on d70s is super off.

Compare the both.

Both were taken at auto WB, ISO 400, f5, 1/20 but show great difference.

Is something wrong with my d70s???

Any takers?

have u ever check ur metering options? fm the looks of ur test pics, u have a number of white objects dat might be the cause of ur 'underexposure'.

Status
Not open for further replies.