Nikon D7000 vs D700

Status
Not open for further replies.

thltetek

Jul 31, 2012
Singapore
Hi all, I need some advice here. I'm deciding between getting a D7000 or D700. Both are great cameras but with significant price difference too. If i were to get the D7000, I can go for better lens, which I'm thinking of 24-70, which is able to act as a general lens with very good quality. If i go for the D700, I would have to go for cheaper lens, which I have in mind is the 50mm 1.4d or 50mm 1.8d/g. Hope you guys can give some advice here. Cos if i decides to go for either one, I'll be using for quite some time before able to afford new lens. Thanks so much.

if you dont need video, go d700 plus prime.

What nikon lenses do u have at the moment?

1) D7000 + 24-70mm
2) D700 + 50mm

very weird combo to compare, on D7000 the 24-70mm will look like 36-105mm, ok general purpose and maybe portrait but not for landscape.
D700 and 50mm on the other hand is an excellent combo but you cant do what the 24-70mm can. different application.

so the question is back to what will you be using them for?

thltetek said:
Hi all, I need some advice here. I'm deciding between getting a D7000 or D700. Both are great cameras but with significant price difference too. If i were to get the D7000, I can go for better lens, which I'm thinking of 24-70, which is able to act as a general lens with very good quality. If i go for the D700, I would have to go for cheaper lens, which I have in mind is the 50mm 1.4d or 50mm 1.8d/g. Hope you guys can give some advice here. Cos if i decides to go for either one, I'll be using for quite some time before able to afford new lens. Thanks so much.

DX body to attach the FX pro zoom lens is just look nice only.
For excepted the 70-200 VR That is no comment.

In my opinion for D7000 is quite useful already, maybe you just worry after tomorrow may jump to FX body.

At this time if you can afford on FX pro zoom lens an just go ahead, even mine also have one for 24-70mm f2.8G.

For all FX prime standard lens, if you wanna play with HD output may consider as G version.
If you still like the AFD on screw drive for f1.4D also worth buy. Nobody can avoid you.

But when you are using the DX body at lease you have to get another DX lens for cover wide end in 24~28 equal to 35mm FX length.

That is what I can advice you :D

rain5533 said:
DX body to attach the FX pro zoom lens is just look nice only.
For excepted the 70-200 VR That is no comment.

Eh? What do you mean?

Blur Shadow said:
Eh? What do you mean?

Cause DX body and using on FX 24-70 and only get the pro feel.
If the 17-55 DX to be the right choice on DX sensor.

(The feels is just like buying small size of shoe or cloth and died died must try be fit your body or foot.)

For the 70-200 VR has most of ppl using on Tele portraits shots.
For me is no comment.

Last edited:
There are plenty of uses of the 24-70mm on the DX format.

When considering angle of view, the 17-55mm on DX is much closer to the 24-70mm on FX.

However, that doesn't mean the 24-70mm is useless on DX, or just to get "the pro feel" as you put it.

I personally use it on DX with excellent results, and I know many others who do too.

In addition, I note that the TS has not stated any requirements for a wide angle lens.

I think he mean 17-55 on DX can cover most of the angle and distant compared to 24-70.
i used D300 + 17-55, the IQ are great, i personallyl feel 24-70 on DX also great, just 24mm on DX
no wide enough for landscape.

How does the maths work out?

Let's assume 2nd hand prices since the d700 isn't really available new. Prices below my estimate:

d7000 + 24-70 ($1300 + $2200) = $3500
d700 + 50 1.8 G ($2200 + $250) = $2450

You still have at least $1000 more to spare. (Of course it will be very different if you are getting it all first hand.)

With that $1000 you can still get a 2nd hand tamron 28-75 2.8 with some left over... top up a bit more and you can get a new sb910 even.

Personally I wouldn't get the d7000 + 24-70 because of the balance issues... heavy lens with a camera body your small finger may not be able to grip.

*Alternatively, you can get the d7000 and some primes which are full frame compatible??

---

Myself I'm aiming for a 2nd hand set up with the following:

d700 + mbd10
20mm 2.8 D
50mm 1.8 G
85mm 1.8 D
180mm 2.8 D
SB 910

.... and a tamron 28-75 2.8 for when I need to cover company events.

but i guess the important questions we need to find out

a) what do you normally shoot? (your requirements in terms of focal lengths... wide angle... medium zoom... tele)
b) your budget
c) do you have plans to go full frame if you choose the d7000

Last edited:
Eddie77 said:
i personallyl feel 24-70 on DX also great, just 24mm on DX
no wide enough for landscape.

You can try stitching. Results are often very good when done well on a standard lens.

You can try stitching. Results are often very good when done well on a standard lens.

Thats alot of work ..... people lazy like me, perfer straight out from camera.
Anywhere, the main point still stick to

a) what do you normally shoot? (your requirements in terms of focal lengths... wide angle... medium zoom... tele)
b) your budget
c) do you have plans to go full frame if you choose the d7000

as mention by kwanhan

look at the combination of him d7000 + 24-70, i think he plan to move to FF in future, if yes then go ahead with d7000 + 24-70

still seeking for the ultimate camera?
when will you can just settle for one?

Bro, I take so long to decide cos I'll be sticking to it for years before changing. So have to consider carefully. Sorry if you find me being materialistic or something. But I'm still a student so would want to keep changing and woknt have the budget to do so too. Hope you understand, thanks

1) D7000 + 24-70mm
2) D700 + 50mm

very weird combo to compare, on D7000 the 24-70mm will look like 36-105mm, ok general purpose and maybe portrait but not for landscape.
D700 and 50mm on the other hand is an excellent combo but you cant do what the 24-70mm can. different application.

so the question is back to what will you be using them for?

Yea I know its a weird combo. I went for the 24-70 on D7000 cos it would be my lens for some time before able to afford new porikme lens. And I'm planning to upgrade to FX cam next, which is like 3-5 years from now, if i get the D7000. So would prefer a general lens with good quality so can use for different purpose. I genereally shoot portraits and nature, like flowers.

I don't really mind the 50mm on D700 too cos I think it would be great for pprtraits and some nature shots too. Furthermore, if i go for the D700, I don't need to change the body for many years since it has a wonderful specs for a fx body already

Yea I know its a weird combo. I went for the 24-70 on D7000 cos it would be my lens for some time before able to afford new porikme lens. And I'm planning to upgrade to FX cam next, which is like 3-5 years from now, if i get the D7000. So would prefer a general lens with good quality so can use for different purpose. I genereally shoot portraits and nature, like flowers.

I don't really mind the 50mm on D700 too cos I think it would be great for pprtraits and some nature shots too. Furthermore, if i go for the D700, I don't need to change the body for many years since it has a wonderful specs for a fx body already

Since you are not depending on photography for a living and you have a limited budget, I would suggest you just get a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Tamron 28-75/2.8. They are good enough for your purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.