Nikon D7000 or D700

calister

Feb 21, 2011
Cannot make up my mind which model is more worth to buy. Please enlighten me :angel:

the former is a crop while the latter is a full-frame.

what's your budget? should try them out and have a feel.

and consider the weight as well.

better read up on the crop (DX) and full frame (FX) format. they are both different breed, and the FX lens use on the full frame is alot more expensive and heavier.

Do ur research and first understand the differences... then go and get a handle of each camera and see which you prefer...

Different people have different needs, preferences, budget, etc... so one may go for D700, another D7000... they best is that you decide after you've done the homework :)

Owning both, i will say both are indispensable to what i shoot but tats just me.

Know the strengths and limitations of both, and the budget you are working at and what genre of photography are you mostly interested in.

You will rid of these selection woes much sooner than u think :)

Last edited:
Cannot make up my mind which model is more worth to buy. Please enlighten me :angel:

Both cameras are different, and each is very good in their individual category (DX and FX). Follow your heart (and your wallet).

Digital stuffs upgraded fast, the one you buy today become obsolete tomorrow. So, as long as it is able to capture a reasonably good images, then I think it worthly of owing it. After all, it's just a tool. A tool that helps you to retain the memory. :)

if you portraits and landscape, D700 is a good choice... if you into wild life and birds photography, D7000 is a better choice.

if you portraits and landscape, D700 is a good choice... if you into wild life and birds photography, D7000 is a better choice.

I think the genre of Photography is not about the camera body itself but the different types of lenses that cater to specific needs. For example the wide angle lens, mainly for landscapes and probably portraits. But doesn't fit into the "wild-life" photography. Any camera body can produce all kinds of pictures, it depends on what your creative eye has to see.

In a way, I'd agree with what Reno is trying to say... he is not wrong (he's just cutting it straight to the chase). D700 being FF will give one a wider perspective (this will depend on which lens used) and greater dynamic range (for landscape), and thinner DOF for Portaiture. Whereas, D7000, being DX will give you the benefit of 1.5 crop factor (brings you closer to the subject) even if you add a FF zoom/prime (e.g. 600mm...) You're going to get 900mm on the D7000... A lesser chance of scaring the creature silly when you try to get closer... Of course, you'll lose out on the dynamic range that FF has plus the higher ISO performances that comes with it...

Last edited:
In a way, I'd agree with what Reno is trying to say... he is not wrong (he's just cutting it straight to the chase). D700 being FF will give one a wider perspective (this will depend on which lens used) and greater dynamic range (for landscape), and thinner DOF for Portaiture. Whereas, D7000, being DX will give you the benefit of 1.5 crop factor (brings you closer to the subject) even if you add a FF zoom/prime (e.g. 600mm...) You're going to get 900mm on the D7000... A lesser chance of scaring the creature silly when you try to get closer... Of course, you'll lose out on the dynamic range that FF has plus the higher ISO performances that comes with it...

well, that i agree with you. But those mentioned were only slight differences. If one has to choose between D7k and D700, the D700 is a sure win. These 2 are completely on a different level, you can't expect every camera body to be in one specific genre. That is why they invent more lenses than bodies.

TS said which camera is more worth it, that depends on your budget. If you have no problem with money, D700 is a sure win. (or D3s if REALLY no problem). If not, I would suggest the D300s straight away.

In a way, I'd agree with what Reno is trying to say... he is not wrong (he's just cutting it straight to the chase). D700 being FF will give one a wider perspective (this will depend on which lens used) and greater dynamic range (for landscape),

Actually a some measurement sites say D7000 has higher dynamic range. I have tested both before and I think the dynamic range is very similar. maybe D7000 is a bit better.

well, that i agree with you. But those mentioned were only slight differences. If one has to choose between D7k and D700, the D700 is a sure win. These 2 are completely on a different level, you can't expect every camera body to be in one specific genre. That is why they invent more lenses than bodies.

TS said which camera is more worth it, that depends on your budget. If you have no problem with money, D700 is a sure win. (or D3s if REALLY no problem). If not, I would suggest the D300s straight away.

Nothing is a sure win. In the end the camera with the best fit to the user's needs is the sure win. It is not necessarily a heavier and more expensive camera.

That said, for macro and birding, a DX cam like D7000 will be more useful than a FX one, because you really do get more resolution in a crop frame, giving you more ability to crop further for a close up view. And if go for FX and even longer lenses... costs required is exponential...

Anyway Nikon are due to release their new cameras soon. If you could wait a while, after the newer models are released, the prices of these two will be cheaper.

I believe there is no direct comparison as both of them are not in the same class, D7k- DX and D700-FX. Again it depends on your budget and user experienced. If you are new to DSLR then D7k would be good option otherwise FX format would be good for portrait photography. Just my opinion. :)

Clear answer is D700.

one of the wise blogs i ever read. good to come across this. will share with my friend who's toying the same idea. darn! :bsmilie:

:) I already shared it in my facebook

i am having the same problems in choosing between this two bodies...
the d700 has a very good high iso capability being a FF. Since it was release back in 2008..don't get me wrong is a good camera but its screaming for more features,updates and new sensor technology which is on the d7000.
read on nikonrumors that most country are "discontinuing" their stock on the d700 as the new "replacement" the d800 is coming out soon by this year. even the D4 the d3x/s replacement. this might not be true thus the name rumors.

so what i decided was to sell off all of my canon gear. yes i was a canon fanboy until i had my hands on both the d700 and d7000. the reason for the jump is also that nikon has a very good range of optics. so i'm getting the d7000 and investing on a sigma70-200 f2.8 and some nikkor primes. so when the new replacement of d700 comes in i sell off my d7000 and i won't have any issues on the lens side or prolly keep it as a back up body depending on my income.