Nikon D7000 exposure problem

appleshem

May 25, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, just wondering if its my camera having this problem or is it normal.
My Nikon D7000, when shooting in Manual mode, The exposure button seems to be abit haywire.

Its like, when i attempt to lower the exposure using the exposure button by -1 stop, the meter inside doesn't seems to be lowering the exposure by -1 stop, instead it goes +1 stop.

And when i attempt to compare a that is shot normally without using the Exposure button, and one that has -2 stops, the picture came out without any much differences.
Please clarify it for me,

Thanks alot!!
Cheers!

i would say, this is a d7000's user problem, camera problem. in manual mode, u adjust the shutter/iso/aperture, not the camera. the exposure or to be more precise, exposure-compensation will only work in modes other than manual

i would say, this is a d7000's user problem, camera problem. in manual mode, u adjust the shutter/iso/aperture, not the camera. the exposure or to be more precise, exposure-compensation will only work in modes other than manual

incorrect, exposure compensation is altering how the way camera meter works, so it will affect the metering of all exposure modes including manual exposure mode.
Hey guys, just wondering if its my camera having this problem or is it normal.
My Nikon D7000, when shooting in Manual mode, The exposure button seems to be abit haywire.

Its like, when i attempt to lower the exposure using the exposure button by -1 stop, the meter inside doesn't seems to be lowering the exposure by -1 stop, instead it goes +1 stop.

And when i attempt to compare a that is shot normally without using the Exposure button, and one that has -2 stops, the picture came out without any much differences.
Please clarify it for me,

Thanks alot!!
Cheers!

the camera meter is responding correctly, when you set the exposure compensation minus one stop, the camera meter system will be increase by one stop because of the overriding, so when the camera exposure following the metering suggestion, it will be make the exposure one stop less. likewise, when in manual mode, you set exposure compensation minus one stop, the camera metering system will show plus one stop, if you follow the meter suggestion, you will make the make the exposure one stop less too. so if you set exposure compensation from -3 to +3 in manual mode, it will show on the metering, and but if you didn't change any exposure parameter eg, ISO, aperture and shutter, the exposure of your images will remind the same. hope this make sense to you guys.

Last edited:
incorrect, exposure compensation is altering how the way camera meter works, so it will apply on metering at all exposure mode including manual exposure mode.

but ultimately if he only did adjustment to the compensation but did not alter his shutter/aperture/iso to the metered valued given by camera, there will still be no difference.

but ultimately if he only did adjustment to the compensation but did not alter his shutter/aperture/iso to the metered valued given by camera, there will still be no difference.

so if i just adjust the compensation, without touching the shutter/ aperture/ iso, there won't be any difference in picture right?
So my camera has no problem in this case.
I think i understand how it works now :)
Thanks alot for your help guys :)

exposure compensation is altering how the way camera meter works.

how the camera making exposure is follow what the camera meter suggestion (A, S or P mode) or follow the photographer instruction (manual mode)

exposure compensation is altering how the way camera meter works.

how the camera making exposure is follow what the camera meter suggestion (A, S or P mode) or follow the photographer instruction (manual mode)

so what you trying to say is the compansation will not affect the picture itself right?

so what you trying to say is the compansation will not affect the picture itself right?

Yes that is correct ONLY in manual mode.
As catchlights mentioned, exposure compensation only affects the camera's metering value.

The 3 components of the exposure triangle, namely aperture, shutter speed and ISO speed, affect the actual exposure of the final image.
In manual exposure mode (and with Auto-ISO turned off), the camera is unable to change any of the components of the exposure triangle.