Nikon D700 or D300, Fx or Dx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Koh

Jul 5, 2009
Singapore
Hi friends,
I am thinking to upgrade my current camera D90 to D700 (full frame being the latest trend).
On the other hand, I was told that D300 is most popular on Dx format at their current price range. Whereas D700 is the new Fx trend. My present Nikon lenses can be used on D700 as they are not Dx specified.

Can anyone advise on the D700 as compare to D300 in terms of technical and the practical advantage. Also, any idea of new Nikon Fx model after D700.

The other current Fx model is D3 but price is too high compare to D700.
Is D3 worth buying since D700 is available?

Alan Koh.

well, it's a matter of if you need it or not.

i would not get the D3 even if i had the money,

as i don't need the speed nor the ISO performance,

as the D700 suffices well enough for me.

if you are a professional photog and this is your workhorse,

your choice would be the D3.

of course new cameras will be coming,

it's only a matter of when.

there are rumours of a D700x upcoming.

Why do you want to upgrade yr cam if the current is doing fine for you?

Help yourself and list down the pts which makes you want to upgrade your cam.

From D90 to D300, there is really nothing much to expect other than more buttons and more complex menu....on the other hand from DX crop to FF such as D700, every single shot is a new experience with the new FX sensor.....so why not if you have the $ to spare....after all photography is suppose to be an enjoyable hobby :lovegrin:

He already said..... its the trend.....
:bsmilie: Full frame the latest???
Medium Format is better...
Come on let's be realistic in this kinda "recession recovering" economy, upgrade when you have the $$$ and limited by the current camera. Else save for the "raining days".

Another trend also on video recording on dslr too? D700 doesn't have. :think: again is it the trend to upgrade full frame or DSLR with video recording capabilities?

strange.. DPreview says currently no merchant carries any of these products.. Is it hinting that a D700 replacement's on its way?;)

No, it means their merchant linking code is buggy.

If you do not know the advantage of upgrading from a D90 to D700 then i suggest you keep the money for lenses instead.

If you do not know the advantage of upgrading from a D90 to D700 then i suggest you keep the money for lenses instead.

agree. camera value drops by great margin while len value remains rather consistently.

u might consider playing with your cam a bit longer upgrade the lenses and enjoy the shoots b4 upgrading it.

You are probably better off renting the D700 for a couple of days. After that couple of days, you can decide for yourself if the D700 is worth the money.

:bsmilie: Full frame the latest???
Medium Format is better...
Come on let's be realistic in this kinda "recession recovering" economy, upgrade when you have the $$$ and limited by the current camera. Else save for the "raining days".

Another trend also on video recording on dslr too? D700 doesn't have. :think: again is it the trend to upgrade full frame or DSLR with video recording capabilities?

Medium format has been existing since the early days of photography... esp the hot days around 1900-1950... so i think those would not be "IN" for TS... ;p

I am for one who did upgrade from a D90 to a D700. I am enjoying every shoot and still learning from every shots. BUt if you need to ask about the different pro and cons between D300 and D700, I suggest the D90 is truly suffice at this time. Couple it with a lens which suits the kind of shoots you do and the D90 is likely to be very capable.

If you haven't exceeded the capabilities of the d90, do you need to switch? It's your money, but do you need to spend on a new body now?

Full Frame the main advantage is when taking ultra wide angle shots.

Unless you need the extra speed, the D90 actually is more versatile.

Totally depends on your preference. D700 would be my choice for the ability to use UWAs and the low-light capabilities.

BTW, you should ask yourself first why you are upgrading and why you NEED the feature in these camera first :)

Totally depends on your preference. D700 would be my choice for the ability to use UWAs and the low-light capabilities.

BTW, you should ask yourself first why you are upgrading and why you NEED the feature in these camera first :)

second this, as i mentioned in my post,

do you need the camera?

i think in this case it's more of a want then a need.

if you however think you don't need any of the features of the D700 such as the speed and 51-pt AF, and high ISO ability, use the money and get more glass:)

Status
Not open for further replies.