Nikon D700 or Canon 5Dmk2

varekai8

Dec 2, 2009
Hi there,

I am thinking of going to full frame, and looking at either the Nikon D700 or the Canon 5Dmk2.
I am more to street and portraits, looking for low light ability and picture sharpness.

Am told that the AF for the D700 is better than the 5D.
Which has a better sensor and processor?
Would like to ask for the advise from Bros and Sisters here.

Many thanks.

Hi there,

I am thinking of going to full frame, and looking at either the Nikon D700 or the Canon 5Dmk2.
I am more to street and portraits, looking for low light ability and picture sharpness.

Am told that the AF for the D700 is better than the 5D.
Which has a better sensor and processor?
Would like to ask for the advise from Bros and Sisters here.

Many thanks.

Please read the many many reviews out there, where you can see and compare image samples, AF modules are discussed, etc. Also, you can refer to the many existing threads that have asked the same question. Search before you post please.

FYI, asking these sort of questions on CS is generally discouraged as it can lead to a brand war ensuing. As such, you are encouraged to use the huge amount of available online resources and controlled tests (and of course, going and trying the cameras for yourself) in order to make the decision.

After all, it is YOUR money, and YOU will be shooting with the camera. What WE think is right may only be right for US and not for you.

are you aware that these 2 models are more or less obsolete?

the 5D3 is a much more capable camera than the 5D2 was.

and the D600 trounces the D700.

Both are excellent camera. And yes, the AF of D700 is better than the AF of 5DmkII. But 5DmkII had one of the best video capability of its time though.

For fullframe camera, you might want to check out later ones like Nikon D600 and Canon's 6D... Also do take the trouble to look at other options like Sony's A99 and the newly launched A7/ A7r.

If I was you and have the money... I will certainly take a close close look at the A7 (24MP) and A7r (36MP)... fast AF, beautiful IQ... coupled with small small body and Zeiss lens with AF capability... there really is nothing to dislike about this baby.

If I was you and have the money... I will certainly take a close close look at the A7 (24MP) and A7r (36MP)... fast AF, beautiful IQ... coupled with small small body and Zeiss lens with AF capability... there really is nothing to dislike about this baby.

I think the "If I had the money" qualifier is key... LOL!

D700 is better for low light sensor o/p as well as AF.
Better camera response than the 5DII and still a match in that even against newer models.

5DII is 24mp and no slouch of a camera, esp if you can find it at a good price.

I'd pick the Nikon D700 as I have no use for the video function and do not need the higher pixel count.

For video 5dii, anything else d700

Dear all,

I am very sorry for asking questions that has already raised before. My sincere apologies to all whom I have offended.
Also, thank you, to all seniors for your very valuable feedback.

I do have a budget constrain, so I am looking for older full frame models.
Newer models sure appeals but then...

Please forgive me, I did not know I could start a brand war here...
That was the reason I chose the general discussion thread to post this question actually, thought it was neutral territory.

Nevertheless, thank you all again, your input has help me in deciding.

Happy Shooting!

My vote goes to the d700. If you are doing video, vote goes to 5dm2

Last edited:
Dear all,

I am very sorry for asking questions that has already raised before. My sincere apologies to all whom I have offended.

That was the reason I chose the general discussion thread to post this question actually, thought it was neutral territory.

Happy Shooting!

Worry not about brand war just ignored them. I use the D700 for a living, indeed a good camera but nikon lacks far behind in the video department and will never catch up. That's the reason I sold the D800.

Someone mentioned the Sony A7, this beast looks promising. If you are not looking for FF you can consider Sony RX10, a beautiful instrument that can deliver and definitely not a paper weight.

Last edited:

i still find the d700 af faster than d600
maybe is just me

Hi Daredevil, Jopel,

I would not be doing any videos... I kind of know where I am heading now..

Thanks for the encouragement, Jopel.

Appreciate all the feedback...
Thank you very much to everyone.

Regards.

Hi Daredevil, Jopel,

I would not be doing any videos... I kind of know where I am heading now..

Thanks for the encouragement, Jopel.

Appreciate all the feedback...
Thank you very much to everyone.

Regards.

I make my living with a pair of D700s and the even more obsolete Fuji S5 Pro. I say whichever better deal you can find, even the original 5D is not bad.

If you compare with the street photographers shooting tri-x ISO400 and manual focus, any digital SLR already makes life easier.

i still find the d700 af faster than d600
maybe is just me

ya except for the speed and af accuracy, d600 is better in colour, dr and noise

Thank you sjackal... :)

And the 2nd hand 5D3 ($3000) and D600 ($1900) cost way more than a 2nd hand 5D2 ($1400) and D700 ($1500)...

Dear all,

Happy Shooting!

you can find your answer on you tube....just type d700 vs 5dmk2

Happy shopping :)