Nikon D70 workshop at PSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth-photographer

Mar 12, 2005
I attended the Nikon D70 workshop at PSS today conducted by Steven Yee.

What I can say is, HE IS FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: One of its kind. He is also very consistent with his teaching style. I actually enrolled in his Digital Basic Photography course and have no regrets.

Right from the beginning of the workshop, you can feel that passion and energy in his teaching. Like some magnetic force, you will just listen to his teachings without being bored, and yet realise that there is so much to explore in photography, and yet it is within your reach.

And like some miracle, within 2 hours, as what he predicted, you walk into the classroom and walk out as a different photographer. The "Steven Yee" workflow in photography with P mode is fantastic. Though a little unconventional, but it still follows the fundamentals of photography and really works! I love that workflow as it made photography so fun and easy. He is willing to share his tips, beyond what is expected in the workshop. This is very rare in many instructors.

And well, he sure can be a good camera spokesman. He concluded the lesson with the essential lenses to have, and his persuasion is so overwhelming that I am very tempted to buy the recommended 10.5mm and 12-24mm lenses.

And one thing I salute him is, he is a very very busy person. When we entered the classroom, he was busy touching up some aerial shots which he did this morning in a helicopter which he said he has to complete by tonight. While waiting for the rest to come, we learn quite a bit on Photoshop, especially the use of levels. Afternoon, he has 2 batches of D70 workshops! Good thing is each class limit to 20 people, and at $5 per head only! Found out from the counter staff that his day will end with the Art of Seeing workshop outing at night! Want to treat him to dinner to get more tips and it is certainly not possible.

If you read his CV, he is also doing his degree at NTU, and Secretariat of "To Singapore With Love" photo book project, and Honorary Secretary at PSS. One more thing I found out is that he is busy setting up Tampines Photo Imaging Club at Tampines East. He said it is a collaboration between PSS and Tampines East CC. The club is due to launch on 2nd April at the CC with a Nikon-Epson roadshow in the afternoon. If you atttend his basic class, you will realise that he can still find time to go to Tampines East to help Mr Mah Bow Tan as a writer in the Meet the people session every Monday!

Probably because he is an Engineer to be, he is trained to break down a complex topic and make it sound so simple, interesting and fun.

He is like a machine, a cheerful one! I am surprised no one nominate him for Singapore Youth Award!

In conclusion, I am glad to have found a mentor and teacher in Steven Yee.

Thank you very much, but please take care of your health. Ultimately, you are not a machine. I really wonder how you can look so cheerful despite all the stress. I like your smile and attitude! ;) You are my idol!

Wa, so fast.

Yes, I attended the workshop today too. My session started at 3pm, but pai seh, was late by 5 mins 'cause had problem finding the building. I agree, Steven is a wonderful instructor :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . I was so motivated by his workshop that I spend the afternoon looking at lenses at Funan. I must say the 10.5mm is very nice, though 12-24mm will probably come in more handy for my usual shots.

Hope to sign up for the digital photography class too. Happy shooting !!!

D70 workshop ? :think:

something I miss out ?
ani more of it ?

yeah...any more..i wanna attend..

Just send an email to PSS and check with them the date. That's what I did for my friends and myself.

Good to learn more about the D70 and have a clear picture how to set my D70 to work best for me. Also learn some PS tricks too which make us go :bigeyes: .

Of course, finally got the chance to touch the D2x which makes us drooling.

Cheers
John

there should be more time for Q&A and experience sharing for the camera during the workshop... Its like I have so many questions to ask, but dare not ask too much seeing that Steven needs to rush for the next appointment...

I find that the workshop is good for people who want to find out how to take a decent photos using the new DSLR Camera they bought... for chim chim questions, I feel that u should enroll a personal session with steven, for indepth discussion...

Photography is sometimes a very personal thing to do.... There is no right or wrong way to take a photo... If you follow all the correct way to take a photo, then photography to you is just a science.

But if u try to break the rules when taking a photo, then photography to u is an Art.... Sad to say, to know how to break the rules, u must still know how the rules were made???

I learn alot from those who are more experience than me, including the nice workshop instrutor, Steven. Those are just theory and knowledge I have pick up. I tried those theory, and once I know how it works, I try to explore my own rules.... Until today, I am still trying lah.... not yet successful.... keke...lolz....

He didnt earned his FRPS for nothing ... ;)

In fact he is the youngest FRPS in SINGAPORE ... :thumbsup:

KNIGHT ONG said:
He didnt earned his FRPS for nothing ... ;)

In fact he is the youngest FRPS in SINGAPORE ... :thumbsup:
I looking forward to you getting your FRPS ;)

espn said:
I looking forward to you getting your FRPS ;)

espn :kok: :kok:

*** OT on
FRPS ... fellowship of rubbish photography skills ... and tat's me .. :sweatsm:
*** OT off

FRPS is the prestigious Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain. Fellowship is one of the highest honour that the club will confer on the photographer.

As per the last exchange with RPS, Steven might very likely be the youngest in the world to get the FRPS. He is still learning and trying new things, nonetheless.

The next D70 workshop is on the 3rd April, 1pm to 3pm at PSS. Pls email me at pss1950@singnet.com.sg for confirmation.

tkp77 said:
there should be more time for Q&A and experience sharing for the camera during the workshop... Its like I have so many questions to ask, but dare not ask too much seeing that Steven needs to rush for the next appointment...

I find that the workshop is good for people who want to find out how to take a decent photos using the new DSLR Camera they bought... for chim chim questions, I feel that u should enroll a personal session with steven, for indepth discussion...

Photography is sometimes a very personal thing to do.... There is no right or wrong way to take a photo... If you follow all the correct way to take a photo, then photography to you is just a science.

But if u try to break the rules when taking a photo, then photography to u is an Art.... Sad to say, to know how to break the rules, u must still know how the rules were made???

I learn alot from those who are more experience than me, including the nice workshop instrutor, Steven. Those are just theory and knowledge I have pick up. I tried those theory, and once I know how it works, I try to explore my own rules.... Until today, I am still trying lah.... not yet successful.... keke...lolz....

From time to time, Steven will ask if the participants have any questions. Anyway, he left his email and you are welcome to email him.

tkp77 said:

Great that you are so keen and eager.

My hint is get a good grasp on the fundamentals of photography. With that, you can do what you want to get the shots done. At the end of the day, it is your pictures that count. Your portfolio is very important.

I was at the D70 Workshop yesterday (27/3) as well, the 1 pm class.

Steven is a great teacher. And I walked away with a much better understanding on D70 and some good tips in setting up the D70. The 2-hour workshop is really a little bit too short! A half-day would be better (just up the fee)!

Just a friendly reminder: if you think you can walk in blank and walk out loaded, you will be disappointed. In fact, my own hard work in trying hard to read (never mind about digest) the D70 manual before the workshop turned out to be very useful, as I was able to comprehend very quickly some of the things Steven talked about. And the next thing I will do is not just to go out and shoot, but to run thru the manual one more time (actually, I have not even completed the whole manual) to reinforce my learning from Steven!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well done, Steven, and I look forward to having the opportunities to learn more from you in the future!

Yahlor... Steven 2 hours is abit too short lah. That day u never touch on flash section also. just tech us how to open up the build in flash only. there is so many flash mode.

jdv1725 said:
Yahlor... Steven 2 hours is abit too short lah. That day u never touch on flash section also. just tech us how to open up the build in flash only. there is so many flash mode.

I have moved the thread back to http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1178198#post1178198

Actually, like what I mention, what you learn about my workflow in flash is sufficient in most situation. It is not just about opening the built in flash, but also on what and how to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.