Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light

Does your D70 failed and CF light keeps on blinking, MENU wont display, etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy_SAP

May 6, 2004
:: Kelvin ::
www.photonski.com
Summary: :thumbsup:

As the creator of this "useful" thread (ehem), let me take the privilege of summarizing the important points to help the D70 owners on how to go about the most talked about "Nikon D70 failed and continuous blinking of CF light” (also known as FCB light metering failure).

Symptoms:
1) D70 CF light indicator continuously blinks and drains your battery flat overnight.
2) Press the MENU button and the screen will just display in half a second and then disappear.
3) Camera is totally “out-of-order” and can no longer function (time to bring out your spare body)
4) Metering is totally off and produced unpredictable result which is sometimes an early symptom just before you encounter items 1 to 3.

What To Do:
1) Don’t panic! If your D70 suddenly goes offline, bro check the battery first. If you replaced the battery and the same thing happen, check the above symptoms esp. items 1-3.
2) If you are in a photo shoot/session, time to bring out your spare body and resume shooting (don’t despair, worry about it later)
3) If the above symptoms appear, there are NO other option but to bring it to Nikon Service Center for repair. Don't waste your time troubleshooting.
4) Don’t feel bad, it can be repaired

Outlook:
1) This is a known problem (meaning, the problem was identified and a solution was also formulated/implemented) and the replaced component is free of charge (during warranty period).
2) The time to repair should take as little as 2-3 days to 3-4 weeks, based on the availability of the replacement spare part(s) and queue.
3) So far, there was no re-occurrence of the same problem after the repair (not that I know of, and also speaking for my own D70) <<== This is no longer true since some fellow CS reported of re-occurence of the same problem even after the repair!!!
4) And lastly, a few cases with expired warranty (e.g. between 1-2 months) was able get their D70 repaired “Free of charge” – kudos to Nikon Service Center (for how long, nobody knows. just try lah).
5) For those who are engaging in “profit-related-photo-activities”, always remember to bring a back-up camera body (better prepared than sorry).

Conclusion:
1) For those who felt bad about the experience (that includes me initially), just remember that the problem can be fixed and you're back in action. An "unconfirmed" post also pointed that batches after Sept 2004 “might” be safe from this problem. No specific batches or serial number can be identified and there are no confirmed statistics for this problem. Not sure about D70s though.
2) C’mon guys, as if there is a close competitor for D70 (except for D70s, obviously) in terms of value for money and performance. So for better or worst… we will be using this camera together with your lens and flashgun (hoaah, i-TTL wireless – CLS wow!) for at least a few more months/years and who knows!
3) Anybody updated their firmware to 2.0, if not… what are you waiting for! The new firmware literally changes the look and feel of the MENU (for better I may say) and few other improvements here and there.
4) How many units got this problem and how many more... remains a big question mark.

Ps: If this does not warrant a sticky vote, well pls make it. Thanks. ;)

nope so far.

i bought in early 2004.

I am helping quite a number of Christian friends taking their church wedding this year... praying that it will be functioning well :angel:

Paul_Yeo said:
nope so far.
I am helping quite a number of Christian friends taking their church wedding this year... praying that it will be functioning well :angel:

:) im sure your D70 will go a long way :thumbsup:

Had my Memory Compressor PCB and CE PCB changed after CF card failure with error message: "This card cannot be used", took over 2 weeks for Nikon to test and replaced parts as problem was intermittent.....luckily has 2 yrs extended warranty still...otherwise its serves me very well.

Danntbt said:
Had my Memory Compressor PCB and CE PCB changed after CF card failure with error message: "This card cannot be used", took over 2 weeks for Nikon to test and replaced parts as problem was intermittent.....luckily has 2 yrs extended warranty still...otherwise its serves me very well.

This seems to be a different problem I've never seen before.

The one Pinoy_SAP is mentioning is where the "Light Measuring FCP" fails and you get junky metering and for most people with this problem, D70 won't turn on (nothing gets displayed in control panel), stick a CF card in and the CF card light blinks continuosly, hit the menu button and it appears on screen for less than a second before turning off.

mine still can shoot but metering is inconsitent. got my "Light Measuring FCP" changed within a week just b4 cny

...look like I better be watching out for the light metering problem, hope it won't fail me this coming March on my trip to Beijing...

Oct 2004... No problems...

care to share a little more abt this metering problem? Would like to understand a little more in detail.
eg. Does your metering go haywire & give crazy shutter & aperture settigns? Or the camera severely underexposes yr pics with correct shutter & aperture settings?

Rev said:
care to share a little more abt this metering problem? Would like to understand a little more in detail.
eg. Does your metering go haywire & give crazy shutter & aperture settigns? Or the camera severely underexposes yr pics with correct shutter & aperture settings?

Me too, for those gurus out there can you guys give us in details on how to watch out for metering problem. As I am still new in Digital camera.

I brought mine on Dec 2004. So far so good.

:)

Rev said:
for me is the 1st one. so far everyone else that i've seen got the problem of suddenly cannot switch on, unlike me

seems like it's a time bomb waiting to happen. wonder why there's no recall to fix the cameras for good.

mpenza said:
seems like it's a time bomb waiting to happen. wonder why there's no recall to fix the cameras for good.
If it's necessary it will be done :)

the rate of failure as seen from current poll now are very alarming for the early batches... 6 failures vs 2 ok.. considering that its only less than a yr.. :sweat:

mpenza said:

i agree, its like a time bomb. so i guess those who have purchased later than the first few batches might not be excempted from this problem. mine was 11 months old when this "alarming" problem occurs. imagine if you are in a very important photo assignment... its a disaster. "A recall is definitely a goodwill". I hate to say it, but im really this disappointed with D70 after personnally having this problem. totally OUT-OF-ORDER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.