Nikon d610 v Used Nikon 17-55mm

Eden Den Den

Dec 3, 2013
Hello everyone, i have a Nikon d5100 camera and i bought Tokina 11-16mm few months ago, planning to purchase a used 17-55mm 2.8 lens soon. But i wonder if it is better to get Nikon d610 instead? If i go into fx system then i might get tamron 28-75mm lens or a used 24-120mm f4 lens first, then i need to spend much more. Which combo is better in short/long term? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i have a Nikon d5100 camera and i bought Tokina 11-16mm few months ago, planning to purchase a used 17-55mm 2.8 lens soon. But i wonder if it is better to get Nikon d610 instead? If i go into fx system then i might get tamron 28-75mm lens or a used 24-120mm f4 lens first, then i need to spend much more. Which combo is better in short/long term? Thanks.

IMHO, in short term stay with D5100 and Tokina 11-16mm, in long term your needs in photography is likely to outgrow what D5100 can provide, save and go FX. However, DX has advantage over FX in some situations and FX has advantage over DX in others, most importantly know what you like to shoot, the subject, the environment, etc, etc.

Thanks,i will stay with D5100 and actually i just started in photography for merely 1 year+ . In that case, i might get d7000 or d300s in future,not sure whether the d5100 is at least on par with them.

Last edited:
Thanks,i will stay with D5100 and actually i just started in photography for merely 1 year+ . In that case, i might get d7000 or d300s in future,not sure whether the d5100 is at least on par with them.

I dont see a need to go D7000 or D300s, IQ wise they are about similar, however, if you want higher performance in terms of controls, continuous shooting, support for Nikon's Wireless Lighting System, etc, both D7000 or D300s will outperform D5100. But for travel, D5100 has the advantage of being lighter and smaller, it also has higher reso than D300s. So, it is still going to depend on how you will use the camera in future.

Yes it will outperform the D5100 in various aspect but not in Image Quality. They are using the same sensor!

Maybe u can wait until d400 then decide. By then a second hand d7000 could be 600 only.

Also ask yourself why u need a full frame considering the the setup is expensive and overall weight will be heavier. The lenses shoot shorter range as well.

Since u are considering full frame, I believe u are looking into lowlight photography? If that's the case, you wouldn't have considered d300s because the noise level is higher than d5100, unless probably you did not do enough research. Considering you may not have researched enough and is a beginner, you should shoot more to find out your needs first before spending that money.

Anyway you can drop by nikon showroom and test out the cameras & lens, use your own memory card and bring back the images to review if the quality suits you.

I sense the TS is just starting off and coming to grips with the various options to go in cameras...

Several arenas to venture to:
- different genre of photography
- capabilities of camera bodies - continuous shooting, time lapse, HDR, etc
- different lenses and perspective

If TS is not careful, this is going to be a big sink hole.

Some general wisdom
1. lenses hold value much longer, cameras depreciate madly once it gets out; so don't think about new camera unless it is limiting you in some ways (or your heart strings are tugged), e.g. you really need the higher mp for more resolution, or the camera controls are so much more superior and you need that, or you need low noise high ISO ability, etc. That said, DX lenses may be limiting if you go FX sometime in the future
2. it is the man or woman behind the camera that matters; upgrade your skills, read up, travel, go shooting with sifu and peers,
3. explore photography, not gear-acquisition.

That said, I recommend that you do 2. and 3. before thinking about getting new camera or lenses. Learning to cope with limitations of camera, learning to control camera, learning to see with the lenses you have, etc will yield long term dividends while getting new gears yield short term gratifications (unless you are limited by your gear already).

If you must go the way of gear for some reason, then
4. explore the lens set first, then camera later. You now have UWA, and I assume you have an 18-55 or 18-105, maybe an AFS 50mm f/1.8G (or AFS 35mmf /1.8G) might be a lens you could think about to explore large aperture work? Maybe a telephoto lens? Venture into world of macro? AFS 85mm f/1.8G and get beautiful portraits?
5. buy use where possible and confident. Especially cameras (but you must know how to spot lemons). If you want to explore fps then the higher spec bodies like D300s. That being the case, doing higher in the NIkon range will allow you to use AF and AFD with AF, and Ai and AiS and retain metering.

Don't always assume you will go FX and so buy FX now. FX gears are heavy and expensive. Buy used and good value DX will serve you well now.

In short, from where you are, the forward path is a several steps move, but upgrading skills should be the first step.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advices, i have nikon 35mm 1.8 too. By the way, after looking the pictures of D40/D80 i prefer them over the d5100.

Thanks for all your advices, i have nikon 35mm 1.8 too. By the way, after looking the pictures of D40/D80 i prefer them over the d5100.

Maybe u can try to rent D610 and see whether after looking the pictures of D610 then you prefer them over D40/D80 ?

Maybe u can try to rent D610 and see whether after looking the pictures of D610 then you prefer them over D40/D80 ?

err like that just get the D610 lar...... ;):lovegrin:

Poison deep deep...

err like that just get the D610 lar...... ;):lovegrin:

Then after Eden Den Den bought D610, I would say this to him:
"Maybe u can try to rent Df and see whether after looking the pictures of Df then you prefer them over D610 ?" :lovegrin:

Last edited:
Then after Eden Den Den bought D610, I would say this to him: "Maybe u can try to rent Df and see whether after looking the pictures of Df then you prefer them over D610 ?" :lovegrin:

What's after Df? ... D4 lo... Go n try all la. I mean rent all.
:lovegrin:

Then after Eden Den Den bought D610, I would say this to him:
"Maybe u can try to rent Df and see whether after looking the pictures of Df then you prefer them over D610 ?" :lovegrin:

Evil...... ;):bsmilie:

Thanks for all your advices. Bought a used nikon d80, i like the color very much, very different from d5100.
Straight out of camera, vivid setting

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advices. Bought a used nikon d80, i like the color very much, very different from d5100.

Actually... the D5100 is a much newer camera and has a "better" sensor than the now aged D80, so... technically the D5100 should be better. However, as long as you're happy, all's good :)

If your preference based on the color, actually not only the camera body, the lens that you use also affecting the color production. You may try to compare the image taken between AF-D lens and AF-S lens with nano coating version. With the same exposure and setting, the color will not be exactly the same.

Maybe after using AF-S lens with nano coating on your current D5100, you will like D5100 even more.

The sensor from D80/D200/D40x is a CCD sensor unlike the newer CMOS sensors. CCD sensors are famous for their color reproduction but notorious for their high energy consumption.

In the end, digital imaging nowadays is more than out of camera jpegs. The entire digital workflow is more important.

yes, D5100 is better than d80 in low light situation so i will only use it during the daytime or in indoor if i have speedlight. Pair it with 17-55mm lens should be great.