Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
first some High ISO noise shots

DSC_0427.jpg

8004.jpg

16003.jpg

32004.jpg

64002.jpg

Not bad not bad. Haha. I wanna pleh with it too!!

Crap... No separate AF-On button. Sigh.

But at least the door for the GPS is now separate from the others, unlike D7000.

Last edited:
the buttons and dials are the same position as the D7000
the viewfinder is also the same as the D7000

it also has the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter to connect wirelessly to smartphones and tablets

initial reviews make this a really good camera..i think this will take off well if they manage to keep the SG price lower than the US MSRP
I hope Canon comes out with something to match..and cheaper haha..i doubt it..

the official press release

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NIKON UNVEILS GROUNDBREAKING FULL-FRAME DSLR CAMERA - THE D600
The New Nikon D600 introduces serious photography enthusiasts to the professional
world of shooting with full-frame cameras, offering high-end performance and features in a
user-friendly package.
TOKYO, 13 SEPTEMBER 2012 - Nikon Corporation today announced the all new D600, a
Digital-SLR camera equipped with a 24.3-megapixel Nikon FX-format (full-frame) sensor
engineered to deliver professional-grade images that are incredible in detail, tonality and
dynamic range. Equipped with the same EXPEED 3 image-processing engine built into
high-end Nikon DSLR cameras (D4, D800 and D800E) but packed into a smaller and
lighter body, the D600 represents an extremely attractive and revolutionary proposition to
professionals, photography enthusiasts and entry-level DSLR camera users upgrading to
shooting full-frame images and HD video in a more portable and user-friendly experience.

“The Nikon D600 bridges the gap for professionals and aspiring photographers who
demand incredible image quality but were previously hesitant about investing into a fullframe
camera,” said Masanobu Tsunoda, managing director of Nikon Singapore. “It
creates a new market category as an approachable and affordable FX-format digital SLR
camera that will empower and excite a broad range of users to shoot even better pictures
and video.”
The D600 joins Nikon’s authoritative line of FX-format DSLR cameras as its lightest and
most compact full-frame digital camera offered, weighing at approximately 760g and
measuring 141mm by 113mm by 82mm (width, height and depth respectively). It also boasts
an impressive feature set that consists of an optical viewfinder with 100%1 frame
coverage, a magnesium-alloy weather-sealed body offering the same dust and water resistance
as the D800 and D800E, 3D-axis tracking with 39 focus points, high-speed
continuous shooting at 5.5fps2, built-in automatic HDR capturing and processing, a time lapse
video function, dual SD memory card slots, and full HD video recording up to
1080/30p utilising the camera’s entire 24.3-megapixel full-frame sensor.
“The ability to resolve extremely fine details and yet achieve smooth tones in images, is
testament to the Nikon D600 as a technical masterpiece,” said Luke Tan, Senior
Executive, Business Support Department of Nikon Singapore. “And yet, it is a camera that
feels as easy and simple to use as your first DSLR. The time has finally come for everyone
to experience shooting in the full-frame format.”
Exceptional Image and Video Quality
The Nikon D600‘s new 24.3-megapixel FX-format CMOS image sensor is capable of
capturing exceptional detail across a wide dynamic range. For shooting with minimal noise
in a variety of lighting conditions, the D800 features a wide native ISO range of 100-6400,
expandable to 50 (Lo-1) and 25,600 (Hi-2). Photographers can also use NIKKOR lenses
equipped with Nikon’s advanced optical technologies to maximise the performance of the
D600’s FX-format CMOS sensor, offering clear and sharp images with the finest details.
Full-frame digital SLR cameras excel over other digital cameras equipped with smaller
sensors, especially in challenging low-light conditions and where the wider angle of view is
critical for shooting scenarios such as landscape and architectural photography. The D600
takes these advantages further with Nikon’s EXPEED 3 image processing engine which is
capable of processing massive amounts of data, exacting optimal colour, rich tonality and
minimising noise for both images and HD video.
The Multi-CAM 4800FX AF-sensor module of the Nikon D600 utilises 39 focus points, and
the system also places an emphasis on the human face, working in conjunction with the
Advanced Scene Recognition System to provide accurate face detection even through the
optical viewfinder. The camera also offers seven cross-type sensors that are fully
functional when using super-telephoto NIKKOR lenses and teleconverters (2.0x) with an
aperture value up to f/8, which is a great advantage to those who need extreme telephoto
focal lengths.
The Nikon D600 also features a precise Scene Recognition System that analyses detailed
scene brightness and colour information acquired from the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor, and
applies that information to autofocus, automatic exposure, i-TTL balanced fill-flash, and
white balance control, all to achieve detailed and balanced images. For storage, the Nikon
D600 has dual card slots for SD cards, and offers users the ability to record backup,
overflow, RAW/JPEG separation, and the additional option of shooting stills to one and
video to the other.
Cinematic HD Video
When it comes to recording HD video, users have the choice of various resolutions and
frame rates, including full HD 1080 at 30/24p utilising the Nikon D600‘s entire full-frame
sensor, and HD 720 at 60/30p. By utilising the B-Frame data compression method, users can
record H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format video with optimal size and quality for up to 29:59
minutes per clip (normal quality)3.
The Nikon D600 also enables users to use both compatible FX and DX lenses to shoot HD
movies. The FX-based movie format makes full use of the large image sensor and offers a
shallow depth-of-field with an emphasis on background-blur characteristics while the DX based
movie format is optimal for recording movies and bringing subjects closer (1.5X)
when lenses with short focal lengths are used.
For professional and broadcast applications that call for outboard digital recorders or
external monitors, users can stream an uncompressed full HD signal directly out of the
camera via the HDMI port. The Nikon D600 is also equipped with an audio monitor port for
headphones to be used.
Users are also able to easily compose and check critical HD focus through the wide-angle
viewing 921,000-dot, 3.2-inch LCD monitor equipped with a sensor that, automatically
detects the amount of ambient lighting and adjusts the monitor brightness accordingly.
Dual SD memory card slots (SDXC, UHS-I4 compliant) enable smoother still-image and
movie recording.

Last edited:
Familiar and User-friendly
Users who frequently utilise scene and program modes will find the D600 familiar ground.
Essential settings and functions have dedicated buttons on the camera’s body for easy
access, such as video recording, Live View Mode switching between still image and video,
White Balance, Metering and ISO. A locking mechanism on the mode dial prevents
accidental adjustment of the shooting mode and camera operation has also been
improved by positioning the mode dial on top of the shutter-release mode dial.
By using the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter (sold separately), you can easily transfer
your high-quality photos from your digital SLR to a smartphone device5. The smart device
can also be used to control camera shooting as a remote with a live view display and
touch auto-focus. Images captured with the D600 can be transferred to a smartphone over
a wireless network connection6. The WU-1b immediately transfers photos and also allows
you to upload them to blogs and social networks to share with friends and family.

Pricing and Availability
The Nikon D600 will be available from 18 September 2012 through Nikon’s Authorised
Dealers for the suggested retail price of (SRP) S$3,249.00 (body only). For more information
please visit http://www.nikon.com.sg.

How do u find the handling/feel vs d800? D600 seems to handle like a d7000 being swift and nimble.

Hmm...not used a d7000. Changing the metering from a dial to a button may affect handling for me a little. A minor issue, just like moving to AF mode button on d800.

The body is so diminutive once you compare side-by-side with d800. And iso6400 crop looks good.

How do u find the handling/feel vs d800? D600 seems to handle like a d7000 being swift and nimble.

swiftness and nimbleness will greatly depend on your button layout that you are used to,
which means if you are used to the D7000 button layout then yes
if you are used to other button layout, it would take some time to get used to before you find it 2nd nature.

but smaller and lighter yes

Hmm...not used a d7000. Changing the metering from a dial to a button may affect handling for me a little. A minor issue, just like moving to AF mode button on d800.

The body is so diminutive once you compare side-by-side with d800. And iso6400 crop looks good.

yes when i changed my D80 to a D800 it took me some time to get used to the new layout as well, but before that i could change settings while looking into the viewfinder of my D80.
so it is a matter of getting to know your camera and getting used to it.

at first there it will always be an errors but after a while all will be well again.

it is important to read the press release as it will tell you which target market this camera is aimed at.

if i were a professional and my working gear is a D4 or D800
i would not get the D600 as a spare body

main reason is the difference in button layout and workflow.
i would choose to have the same lens mount, same battery, same usage
this is so that my workflow would not be changed.

yes when i changed my D80 to a D800 it took me some time to get used to the new layout as well, but before that i could change settings while looking into the viewfinder of my D80.
so it is a matter of getting to know your camera and getting used to it.

at first there it will always be an errors but after a while all will be well again.

Yups, you're right about changing settings while still looking into viewfinder. may just stick with d800 as i'm more used to the setup.

Oh yar, even though it's a 'quick and dirty' test - how's autoWB? very much like d800? or somewhat inferior?

Last edited:
quite interesting that they squeezed a full frame 100% coverage viewfinder into the D7000 one. What is the feel like looking through the VF compared to the D800?