nikon D60 vs D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitose

May 2, 2008
if just to compare just between this two model which will u guys prefer? cos after checking tis two.. i find most of the spect are abt the same... of cos we dun compare the $700 diff

I would pick the D80 as it can AF with the older lenses as well. The D60, aside from the far cheaper build quality, can only AF with AF-S and AF-I lenses.

I'm guessing you didn't even try to "feel" both cameras? A DSLR is more than just specs on a sheet you know.

They are about the same because D80 came out much earlier. :)

I would pick D80, like Rashkae had mentioned that it can af with most of the Nikon lenses. A friend of mine had regretted getting the D40 as she have to get the more expensive lenses including 3rd party to have the af function.

yeah... plus D80 feels so much better (esp wif bigger hands). the more number of buttons for other settings make life easier as well.. no fiddling through the menu...

I would pick D80, like Rashkae had mentioned that it can af with most of the Nikon lenses. A friend of mine had regretted getting the D40 as she have to get the more expensive lenses including 3rd party to have the af function.

actually your friend can sell the d40 and purchase a 2nd hand d80 instead.
my guess is she want to AF with cheaper 50mm primes.

please look through in the nikon sub-section cos quite a no of discussions there already between these 2 choices.
most would pick d80.

d80 is 1st gen 10mp sensor so noise reduction program wise wouldn't be cleaner than d60.
advantage is able to AF with cheap 50mm primes.
more AF points than the mere 3 AF points on d60.

d60 is 2nd gen 10mp sensor so can expect better noise reduction program built in.
advantage is if you like to travel light like me, the weight is a plus point.
but when mount with lens heavier than the body itself, feels a bit unbalanced towards the front portion.
solution is to use the left hand and support more of the front portion.
downside is can only MF with 50mm f1.8 but got range finder function to help to check with the focusing.

Hello everyone =), was interested in getting D80. I actually called Audiohouse just now and was shocked :confused: to know that they are selling it at S$1788 with 2G+2G SDcard, tripod, camera bag, cleaning kit.

I saw some thread, people have bought it for around S$1500 with the similar freebies.

Can anyone recommend me to any reliable shops that sell at around this price with the similar freebies? :)nono: interested in grey set)

Bro, the Body cost $1250 in Orient in Sim Lim that's were I bought my D80.

Hello everyone =), was interested in getting D80. I actually called Audiohouse just now and was shocked :confused: to know that they are selling it at S$1788 with 2G+2G SDcard, tripod, camera bag, cleaning kit.

I saw some thread, people have bought it for around S$1500 with the similar freebies.

Can anyone recommend me to any reliable shops that sell at around this price with the similar freebies? :)nono: interested in grey set)

from john 3:16 or Ap-F, shld be 1495-1520(kit price) with bag + 4GB :)

for me, i would say consider Canon 40D though im nt a canon fan, owned D80 before :) but the age of D80 is almost mature, a replacement may come soon, diving in would mean picking up an old system but at a high price.. My believe is, don pick up any camera and start snapping away as photography is a long term investment, good to pick up something tt can last, and not jus satisfy that moment of need

my advise, try not to get D60, may be small handy and quite advance, but the lack of motor drive is really a huge discouragement on picking up tt model

I'm going for D80 as the function wise is almost the same as D200.
(Thinking of getting D40X before but I think I will outgrow it fast, so investing in D80 make more sense.) Furthermore, although to some it may be quite an old model without liveview, cleaning sensor etc. But the functionwise is actually quite good for most beginners (like me I think) who wanted to pick up photography and also the price of D80 have plunge quite alot if I'm not wrong.

If D90 will to be out this June or some months later, it will be ard S$2000? Or any expert can recommend for those who are wanting to get D80 to wait for its replacement or not to?:think:

I would recommend the D80.

It's like D60 being an entry-level vs D80 the top of semi-pro cams.
Build of a D80 is way better than a D60. Unless you like D60's small size.
D60 uses multi-cam 350 with only 3 focus points, while D80 uses multi-cam 1000 with 11 focus points.
I'm sure the 11 points will come in handy & metering will confirm be more accurate in D80 :)

Also, lens compatibility is good with D80 and the status LCD at the top will definitely be helpful.

Quote by Simon_84
d60 is 2nd gen 10mp sensor so can expect better noise reduction program built in.
Actually right, when i tested D60 i'm not impressed by its noise reduction leh, you know given the expeed concept blah blah etc. I think D80 can do the same or even better.

D80 lor ;)
You might will not appreciate the need for AF with older non AFS lenses now.
But there is a chance u just might after u use the D60 for a while.

Ryan

I will wait for the new replacement for D80 before deciding... ;)

If you die die must get now, get the one you feel most comfortable with......be one with your camera.....The camera choose you, not you choose the camera hehehe ;)

i did try out both of them... i myself do like D80 better too.... i was kinda of like holding back cos i also heard from ppl tat new cam will b out to replace the D80. well i do have big hands lol so will to get will like D80 better. anyway i price i saw was $1788 - $1888. wif freebie...

There's an existing thread for the prices of Nikon equipment below. Includes a list of reputable shops as well :thumbsup:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045

Do check it out for more info~

There is an advantage of getting lenses made for the digital age. ;)

i did try out both of them... i myself do like D80 better too.... i was kinda of like holding back cos i also heard from ppl tat new cam will b out to replace the D80. well i do have big hands lol so will to get will like D80 better. anyway i price i saw was $1788 - $1888. wif freebie...

If you need it now, get it now, or wait until the new model comes out. The problem is, its all rumours, so you never know when. It would depend when you need to use the cam then. Get it so that you will not miss the photo ops. A missed photograph is gone forever.

Even if you get it now, the D80 can certainly still last for a long time. My D50 is >3yrs old, and its still very much in use.

Like Sanguine says, check out the nikon prices thread. then call or email the shop to get a quote.

There is an advantage of getting lenses made for the digital age. ;)

Certainly. Improvements are made over time with R&D. I certainly prefer my 18-200mm VR. Nobody said that photography is cheap. You need to be prepared to spend, though within your means. Just don't kenna the BBB virus too much. :bsmilie:

D80's advantages:
- Better to hold, for those with larger hands. With MB-D80, macam like D3 :)
- LCD display on top is useful. Not so glaring as LCD with night shots.
- Can exploit Nikon's range of AF lenses (AF 50-1.8 is cheap and good)
- 11 point AF
- Can be commander for Creative Lighting System (trigger slave SB600)

D60's advantages
- ExSpeed processor (latest gen)
- Cheaper
- Newer
- Lighter, smaller, more portable
- MF is quite fast and accurate with rangefinder style display

I'm sure i've missed out many points! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.