Nikon d60 to d90

Status
Not open for further replies.

vios15

Sep 9, 2008
me just have my D60 for just over a year plus and still learning.
just wondering shd i dump my D60 for a D90 and continue learning?
me find that the pic quality of the D60 dnt seem to b so gd is D90 pic quality will it be better and shaper?

Hi vios! I haven't got the chance to hold a D90 but I tried the D60 which in my memory is a good camera except I can't change the ISO easily :cry: . It's all up to you, If you feel the the camera limits you, then it justifies the additional moolah to pay for an upgrade. All I can say is hold on to your camera until you get the hang of the basics. :)

me find that the pic quality of the D60 dnt seem to b so gd is D90 pic quality will it be better and shaper?

Don't blame the camera. As you said, you are still learning. So in all likelihood, the issues you have with pic quality are your fault, not the camera, since everyone here knows the D60 can output good pictures. If you upgrade to a D90, you will *still* just be learning, still get the same "not so good" picture quality because you don't know what you are doing.

Hi vios! I haven't got the chance to hold a D90 but I tried the D60 which in my memory is a good camera except I can't change the ISO easily :)

Hey bananaOne, ISO can be changed easily by holding down the function button and turning the knob. BUT you have to programme it first...

To TS, I've been using the nikon D60 since the day it was launched, i must say the images it produce is quite good for its standard. However the downside is the 3 AF point which might be abit limited.

Lens will give u a different quality, try changing the lens :D

well D60 is juz a few 2mp lesser than D90.. in terms of the picture output, it can also produces quality pictures...

since you said u're still learning.. i suggest you stick on to your D60 and continue to use it to practice your shots.. even with the kit lens, i have seen quality pictures produced by it.. if you are not certain why your shots are not up to your standard.. have them posted here in CS, n let the pros help u out in positioning, setting etc..

Actually, i had the D60 - the image quality is good enough and produce very good images. Have you finished reading the owner's manual?

You might have messed up the settings by accident, set it right again and it's good to go. Who knows maybe you have been shooting at high ISO when a lower setting will produce clearer image quality. A high ISO will have more noise. It will blow the highlights if the shutterspeed is maxed. Go read a book on photographic principles - on composition, exposure, aperture and shutterspeed to improve further.

But... if you want to have the D90 because it's new and has video functions... can always buy it. Seriously, check the settings first unless money no problem. :bsmilie:

I'm a D60 user too, and while not having the in-built AF motor severely limits on to buying only new AF-S lenses, I still boldly ventured into the world of Manual Focusing :D

Though at times the lack of AF can be a huge pain whilst taking moving subjects, for everything else, it does just fine :)

Just take your time to learn, D60's a fairly useful dSLR either ways :D

Regards,
gibss

vios15 said:

Many people seem to blame the camera for poor quality photos, but in 99% of the cases, it is usually the one staring into the viewfinder and pressing the shutter release that is to blame.

Perhaps you can post an example of a photo that you took with the D60, where you found the quality to be "not so good". Otherwise we're all just guessing here.

Its your choice totally. Just think over what is limiting you at the moment with the D60, and how that would improve if you got a D90. I don't really think a new body would give sharper pictures, especially at normal viewing sizes. A lot of it boils down to technique and lens used and settings (eg. f-stop used).

If you have no actual reason to change for now, I would say, just use the D60 until its time is up and by then you can get yourself a spanking new D99 (ok I made that up :) )

Post up some sample photos and the EXIF data.

why do people keep on falling into the trap of buying dslr bodies instead of quality lenses? for a new body you can buy nikon excellent lenses that you can still use 20 years from now. why? just rent the bodies at camera rental stores, let them swallow the cost of digital rot. Can people really tell if you shoot with d60 instead of d90 or canon s90? do you want to show off your camera or your photos?:dunno:

Are u sure its the camera D60 that is giving u a poorer picture ?

Then instead of buying, borrow a D90 from a frd or rent one for 3 days..
Take hundred of pictures w/ the D90 w/ ur same set of lens.. had ur pics improve tremendously?
Then u will have ur answer ! :cool:

unless you are refering to noise at higher iso , picture quality is pretty much the same to me.
but i would clearly choose d90 over d60 anytime for top lcd and 2 dials which is a must for me when i shoot events. Moreover i use afd lens that dont AF on d60.
as for video. its a bonus feature.

if you are thinking of switching d60 for iso quality and not 2dials/lcd, you might better off consider d5000 or for non-nikon - pentax k-x

My reasons on me upgrading from D60 to D90 and I use them all the time;
-In-body AF motor, hence can use wider selection of lenses other than AF-S type,
-Auto bracketing for those HDR shots,
-4.5fps for that moment shots like, blowing out the candles,
-better IQ & usable ISO performance even at 1600,
-top LCD & 3" high resolution back LCD screen
-sub-command dial & many many button didicated buttons fro ISO, WB, Metering, etc, etc,
-Liveview for that difficult angle & focusing in dim light situation and a dedicated button!!!
-AF selector with lock mechanism!!!
-Self timer with choice of 1 to 9 shots for that 'blink eye' eliminator
-HD movie (least of the reason)

So if you want to improve your skill I strongly recommend you to upgrade to D90 and also get a few good lenses as well. Good luck:devil:

Don't blame the camera. As you said, you are still learning. So in all likelihood, the issues you have with pic quality are your fault, not the camera, since everyone here knows the D60 can output good pictures. If you upgrade to a D90, you will *still* just be learning, still get the same "not so good" picture quality because you don't know what you are doing.

Then good reason to upgrade to D300s, then to D700 and D3s and ...... yeah? ;p

Like everyone said, upgrading camera will not cause you to take better photos in terms of composition, skill and the artistic eye. but it will definitely make making a photo a lot easier.

if budget not an issue, yea by all means go for D90.

....is D90 pic quality will it be better and shaper?

nope.. at least not for me.. I sometimes missed those vibrant and fussfree JPEG outputs of CCD sensor..
D90 pics(if don't tweaked) are rather soft..
but I now have obviously less CA(nearly none) in my JPEGs of D90.. it's in-camera CA correction works really good ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.