Nikon D5200 or Canon EOS 650D?

Zevify

Dec 20, 2012
Singapore
I'm looking to get my first DSLR camera in a few months time and I'm down to these two choices. Need some advice on which one is better! :)

I'm looking to get my first DSLR camera in a few months time and I'm down to these two choices. Need some advice on which one is better! :)

You can read the many similar threads. SEARCH before you post, it's in the terms of use.

Hint: It will be YOUR camera, YOU decide which is better for YOUR needs, with what feels better for YOU ergonomically. What WE think is the better camera should have ZERO impact on you. You don't expect other people to tell you who to marry, what clothes to buy, what food to eat, etc etc right? Make your own decisions.

You can read the many similar threads. SEARCH before you post, it's in the terms of use.

Hint: It will be YOUR camera, YOU decide which is better for YOUR needs, with what feels better for YOU ergonomically. What WE think is the better camera should have ZERO impact on you. You don't expect other people to tell you who to marry, what clothes to buy, what food to eat, etc etc right? Make your own decisions.

Lol I'm just trying to ask what are some of the differences between the two cameras. Obviously I've went around the forum looking for similar threads but found none except for a thread for 650D users.

you won't go wrong with any one of them,
go to showroom to touch them, feel them, and
just follow your heart......

or just buy the most popular one, save your headache,
all you need to do is see how many Canon cameras you see, how many Nikon cameras you see for the next three days......

or just buy the most popular one, save your headache,
all you need to do is see how many Canon cameras you see, how many Nikon cameras you see for the next three days......

I'm leaning more towards the Nikon because it has a lot more auto focus points but the price is very steep now...

Lol I'm just trying to ask what are some of the differences between the two cameras. Obviously I've went around the forum looking for similar threads but found none except for a thread for 650D users.

For differences, you should be reading the detailed specs/reviews. Sites like DPReview are good for this.

For existing threads:
1. Click on the "search" box in the top-right.
2. Type in "D5200 650D"
3. Start reading.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/1199487-buy-canon-650d-now-wait-nikon-d5200.html

It's not rocket science.

I'm leaning more towards the Nikon because it has a lot more auto focus points but the price is very steep now...

You get what you pay for.

For "features for money" you should look at Pentax and Sony anyway.

You get what you pay for.

For "features for money" you should look at Pentax and Sony anyway.

Will the price drop after a few months? Since this is a new camera and I heard that prices often fall after awhile. Thanks for the dpr website though :)

Last edited:
Will the price drop after a few months? Since this is a new camera and I heard that prices often fall after awhile. Thanks for the dpr website though :)

All prices of cameras drop after a while. usually by then, it means that a newer model is coming out. Especially for entry level bodies like the mentioned. C and N keeps coming out with newer models every year.

Zevify said:

Price will drop. But can you wait? Especially since its just released you'll have to wait 2-3 months or maybe even more. Even if so, it won't be by a lot. And it's likely by then, a new camera will be released with better specs than the one you're looking at now, then are you going to buy that instead? :dunno:

Rashkae said:

How is it that rashkae is always the first to comment in this kind of threads? Haha

Number of AF points doesn't matter as much as AF point sensitivity actually. No use having 100 AF points if none of them work when you need them to. Having said that, both cameras will work. Just go and feel/touch/use them then decide for yourself which one you prefer.

Last edited:
It's consumer electronics, nothing more. A such, the (resale) value drops the moment you leave the shop. It will never go up again and once the next model is announced it will drop further.
But why is this relevant? You want a camera to take pictures and learn, right? Go and get one, knowledge is worth more than a camera. The basics of taking pictures are the same, regardless which camera you use.

Either camera is ok.
My only comment is Nikon entry level bodies don't have a built in focus motor so it may limit your lens options in the future.
Their D7K and higher bodies don't have this restriction.
If you are sure you will only use lenses with built in motor, then its a non-issue.

Look at other options too.
A Pentax K30, is more than just entry level feature at near entry level prices (on camera shake reduction; dual scroll wheels; weather sealing)
There are also Sony options as well as m4/3 and Samsung.

Like what many had already advise, go to the shop, pick up the cam, see which one you like in term of ergonomic, menu making most sense, great placement of buttons and scroll (to you) and budget that you are comfortable with. Go for that one and thats it. Both brands of cameras offers great features, great IQ, good number of lenses and good number of accessories.

Like what many had already advise, go to the shop, pick up the cam, see which one you like in term of ergonomic, menu making most sense, great placement of buttons and scroll (to you) and budget that you are comfortable with. Go for that one and thats it. Both brands of cameras offers great features, great IQ, good number of lenses and good number of accessories.

What's IQ? Image quality?

Either camera is ok.
My only comment is Nikon entry level bodies don't have a built in focus motor so it may limit your lens options in the future.
Their D7K and higher bodies don't have this restriction.
If you are sure you will only use lenses with built in motor, then its a non-issue.

Look at other options too.
A Pentax K30, is more than just entry level feature at near entry level prices (on camera shake reduction; dual scroll wheels; weather sealing)
There are also Sony options as well as m4/3 and Samsung.

This means that if I am using a lens with no built in motor I will have to focus manually?

This means that if I am using a lens with no built in motor I will have to focus manually?

Yup. But the camera bodies from sony and Pentax have it built into the body too. All modern Canon lenses have the focus motor in-lens

The Nikon, Pentax and Sony cameras all use Sony-made sensors with excellent dynamic range, etc.

Thats correct.
But as I've said, if you are sure you will only use/buy lenses with built in motor, then its a non-issue.
Do your research first on the lenses which have built in AF-motor and see if their price/focal length/aperture is what you will need now and in the near future.
If you only plan to stick to a kit lens for the foreseeable future, then again, its not a matter of concern then.