Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 550D.

For the price of a D5100 or 550D, I still think the D90 is the better buy.
Though it's quite old now, it has a lot of features which the D5100 lacks. Chief amongst which is the AF motor.
I prefer the size (can comfortably wrap the last 3 fingers around the grip area) and weight. I also really like having the top LCD for a quick glance of all the settings, and having 2 command dials.
Changing settings is much easier.
550D has better video implementation than the D90, from what I heard/read.

On ther other hand, D5100 is like a D90 without in-built motor, commander flash and several semi-pro features that TS would not be worried about now.
D90 has a built in motor....
If you like to use old lens then get a Nikon because the mount is compatible to lens made for the past models... The best thing is that you go take a look to compare between the 2. For me, I love Nikon colours (the images not the camera) but not that of Canon. Others may differ because it is a personal thing. These are the reasons I got a Nikon (owned first one in 1976, today still using 1 surviving lens of that camera on my D90). On the models...it really depends on your budget and your requirement. This only you can decide.

KYFoong said:
If you like to use old lens then get a Nikon because the mount is compatible to lens made for the past models... The best thing is that you go take a look to compare between the 2. For me, I love Nikon colours (the images not the camera) but not that of Canon. Others may differ because it is a personal thing. These are the reasons I got a Nikon (owned first one in 1976, today still using 1 surviving lens of that camera on my D90). On the models...it really depends on your budget and your requirement. This only you can decide.

I dun mean it doesn't have. I mean it's like D90 without the listed features that I list....

I dun mean it doesn't have. I mean it's like D90 without the listed features that I list....

Cowseye,
Sorry I missed read.... Thanks for clarification.

if you intend to get 3rd party lenses(like Sigma) for nikon mount, you must note that there are some lenses that are not compatable with some nikon bodies.
Will the Sigma 18~200mm lens with AF compatible with D5100 or D7000?

TS if u wanna buy D5100(i am using), PM me.. maybe u can get a cheap deal from my friend shop
Thanks but maybe i would buy it in around one month time. Will the D7000 have any discount? If i'm buying i will PM you again. Thanks!

Thanks. Now i understand more about HDR. And i guess tilt screen is just a plus for me and not a must. Hmm now i've to consider between D5100, D7000 and 60D. Anyone know the cheapest D7000 body only and D7000 with 18~105mm price?

Wow, guess its gonna be hard for me to decide which to buy. So many choices in the DSLR market. x.x
Looked around on the internet, compared D5100, D7000, 60D and D90.
snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Nikon_D7000
snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D7000-vs-Nikon_D90
Looks like D7000 is still better among them all? So does that means i should go for de D7000?

Last edited:
Wow, guess its gonna be hard for me to decide which to buy. So many choices in the DSLR market. x.x
Looked around on the internet, compared D5100, D7000, 60D and D90.
snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Nikon_D7000
snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D7000-vs-Nikon_D90
Looks like D7000 is still better among them all? So does that means i should go for de D7000?

Don't trust that website fully, it compares cameras in terms of technical specifications only. D7000 definitely is better specced than the other cameras (not so much 60D), but that doesn't mean it will be the best camera for you. They don't take into account things like ease of use, comfort of camera grip, camera interface etc., which are very subjective and depends a lot on yourself.

Don't trust that website fully, it compares cameras in terms of technical specifications only. D7000 definitely is better specced than the other cameras (not so much 60D), but that doesn't mean it will be the best camera for you. They don't take into account things like ease of use, comfort of camera grip, camera interface etc., which are very subjective and depends a lot on yourself.

Hmm then the best is for me to go down to the shops can try out myself right? And its my first time buying a dslr and around 3rd or 4th time using a dslr, so i'm not sure about camera functions/interface/shortcuts etc. Any place to read up on it first?

Hmm then the best is for me to go down to the shops can try out myself right? And its my first time buying a dslr and around 3rd or 4th time using a dslr, so i'm not sure about camera functions/interface/shortcuts etc. Any place to read up on it first?

there r user manuals online for u to read for the nikon bodies. select the non-printable version of each user manual.
D5100 user manual
D7000 user manual
D90 user manual

if they r too complicated for u to understand, u can also read up dpreview's reviews on these cameras under operation and controls
D5100 operation and controls
D7000 operation and controls
60D operation and controls
D90 operation and controls

to try out these cameras, u can try heading down to NSC and CSC. they have display sets for u to play all u want.

Last edited:
If you don't mind the distance travel, head over to NSC at Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Tower level 10. The whole nikon library of bodies and lenses are practically there, further down at vivocity, Canon Showroom is there for your to try. I'm not too sure, but I think you should be able to try other lenses in the canon showroom as well. There's another bigger canon showroom nearby, but I forgot the building's name. Good luck :)

Yup.. Best for u to go hold it and try out the weight. Just try holding it, looking through viewfinder, try changing aperture/shutter speed/exposure etc... See if ur grip is ok.. (I find Canon 550Ds a little small for my hands w/o the batt grip)

Alright thanks! I'll head down after my exams. :)

This would be my choice too...D7000 (again my personal choice and I may be biase)

Hi I just started to take up photography as my interest.
I'm just a newbie with a budget of around 1000 bucks, so i was wondering which DSLR to buy, Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 550D.
If i have a little bit more budget, which DSLR to buy then?
Thanks!

Of cos is D5100....

I was wondering what will the Canon Users tell you if you post this thread in the Canon section as well...

I was wondering what will the Canon Users tell you if you post this thread in the Canon section as well...
Hehehe.... funny you can already guess lo... but go try see how.... make sure it is titled with Canon first.

there r user manuals online for u to read for the nikon bodies. select the non-printable version of each user manual.
D5100 user manual
D7000 user manual
D90 user manual

if they r too complicated for u to understand, u can also read up dpreview's reviews on these cameras under operation and controls
D5100 operation and controls
D7000 operation and controls
60D operation and controls
D90 operation and controls

to try out these cameras, u can try heading down to NSC and CSC. they have display sets for u to play all u want.

Thanks Irvine for sharing the link.
Any idea is this link the same as what we get in D5100 box, and in the CD?

Thanks Irvine for sharing the link.
Any idea is this link the same as what we get in D5100 box, and in the CD?

the CD actually contains the viewnx2 software only. the manual downloaded from the webbie is exactly the same as the hard copy of the manual u will get upon ur purchase, which is found in the box. it's actually for those who had lost their original manuals and wish to reprint the manual again, which is why the product number is required if u want to download the printable version of the manual. otherwise, it's still available to other people, just that it cannot be printed. it's great for those who wish to know more about the selected nikon camera.

the CD actually contains the viewnx2 software only. the manual downloaded from the webbie is exactly the same as the hard copy of the manual u will get upon ur purchase, which is found in the box. it's actually for those who had lost their original manuals and wish to reprint the manual again, which is why the product number is required if u want to download the printable version of the manual. otherwise, it's still available to other people, just that it cannot be printed. it's great for those who wish to know more about the selected nikon camera.

Thanks for clerify, I have printed my maual from the CD i got it in the D5100 box.