Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
2) touch screen
3) better variable LCD
4) higher ISO
5) higher fps

Hope the pros here can offer advice.

Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
2) touch screen
3) better variable LCD
4) higher ISO
5) higher fps

Simple: do you really need any of these factors you listed here? Or is it just itchy pocket and the feeling (or hope) that a supposedly better camera will give you better pictures? Which of the functions of the 650D did you miss recently?
#1 Don't mistake resolution for image quality. You wouldn't be able to tell which is which when seeing the images.
#2 What's wrong with buttons? It's a fashion trend.
#3 How many times do you really need it?
#4 The maximum ISO is higher, true. How many times do you need it?
#5 Do you really need it?
Keep in mind: you will change also the camera system, which means: different menu, different buttons, different terms ... Have you checked about any Nikon camera that is comparable?

2) touch screen
3) better variable LCD
4) higher ISO
5) higher fps

1) Shouldn't have any difference in picture quality.... It's usually the lens that will affect this parameter.
2) How often do you think you will use this feature? I feel that hardware buttons and navigation is way more responsive than touch ones. And also, touch screen = juice drainer
3) LCD - ya....maybe this is a reason... but again, how often do you find it useful? I do find it tempting for me (as a Canon user), but many times, I find that I don't need it.
4 & 5) D7000 also have higher ISO and fps... And I think people are "dumping" D700 and D7000 for D600, you may be able to get some good deals for D7000.

It's one of the most crappy website I've came across for comparisons. This websites contains quite an amount of false information. For Reviews, I would rather turn to DPreview or some other more reputable websites.

Snapsort is a bad joke... pointing out 'large sensor' for Nikon when Canon has the same size. What jokers are this?

I didn't read up on the actual dimensions.. But I always thought Nikon have a wee wee bit larger sensor than Canon :bsmilie: (cos of the 1.5 vs 1.6).

wolvie77 said:
2) touch screen
3) better variable LCD
4) higher ISO
5) higher fps

650D is definitely better, because its so much newer. But to me, if your D5000 is working fine, its not worth an upgrade. Image quality should be about the same. Maybe the Nikon has better dynamic range at lower ISO. If u really need touch screen, then I got nothing to say.

My few cents:

>> Not big enough to be worth the money

2) touch screen
>> Whats the point? Because of the DSLR form factor and handling, you are using the viewfinder anyway, so to touch the screen, you need to remove your eye from the viewfinder to access the touch screen. What the advantage? - think it over.

3) better variable LCD
>> Does it help your photography? Generally no unless you like to do a lot of odd angles (and I do mean a lot to make it worthwhile)

4) higher ISO
>> Not really that significant. 650D is the same sensor since 550D. Shoot in RAW and a good NR program will close the gap.

5) higher fps
>> Not a big deal. How much would you need? 30fps?

Bottom line, not worth the money over the small differences. You are not moving up with such a purchase.
Look to a D7K if you need an upgrade for Nikon.

Snapsort is a bad joke... pointing out 'large sensor' for Nikon when Canon has the same size. What jokers are this?

+1
Why oh why!
So many ppl like to quote SnapSort.
So much so that it has generated enough web hits to their site and search engines start to display it as one of the top sites for relevance.
Its just a crappy brochure comparator that shows nothing of actual camera performance.

I didn't read up on the actual dimensions.. But I always thought Nikon have a wee wee bit larger sensor than Canon :bsmilie: (cos of the 1.5 vs 1.6).
Yes, you are right. But this difference is irrelevant in real life.

- Not really. Canon is known for clipping highlights easily and the Nikon has better dynamic range.

2) touch screen
- Meh. When you consider the only real use of this is for autofocus in live view/video where the Canons are lousy anyway... Not worth it.

3) better variable LCD
- Can be helpful true.

4) higher ISO
- But it's not really better - Canon mushes up the details a lot to make the files "look" cleaner.

5) higher fps
- Barely

Honestly, you won't feel much of a difference. Jump ship to a sony A57 instead and you'll notice a huge difference. ;)

Yes, you are right. But this difference is irrelevant in real life.

ya..the only "big" difference will be moving up from APS-C to FF (and/or larger formats).

ya..the only "big" difference will be moving up from APS-C to FF (and/or larger formats).

Not really, he can switch to an APS-C camera with more features, etc etc. It will still feel like a massive step up from his current D5000.

Saw some of the D5100 promos around the island. Looks like a D5200 is coming.

In my opinion, the only real difference between the D5000 and 650D is that can only use AFS lens with the D5000 while the 650D can use any EOS lens whether for full frame or for crop sensor.

As long your investment into the system is not too heavy, feel free to jump ship anytime.

The touchscreen is pretty neat to have if you like to experiment with portraits,
599349_10151062600793166_1182919579_n.jpg

559284_10151062601458166_1419773428_n.jpg

Taken very easily with the 650D flip screen + touch screen select AF point.

Last edited:
Reportage said:
Saw some of the D5100 promos around the island. Looks like a D5200 is coming.

In my opinion, the only real difference between the D5000 and 650D is that can only use AFS lens with the D5000 while the 650D can use any EOS lens whether for full frame or for crop sensor.

As long your investment into the system is not too heavy, feel free to jump ship anytime.

The touchscreen is pretty neat to have if you like to experiment with portraits,

Taken very easily with the 650D flip screen + touch screen select AF point.

Correction.... you can use any F-mount lens on the D5000 but you may not get af. ;-)

I still prefer fast PDAF over the slow CDAF on the Canons. ;-)

Correction.... you can use any F-mount lens on the D5000 but you may not get af. ;-)

I still prefer fast PDAF over the slow CDAF on the Canons. ;-)

I thought 650D using hybrid Contrast and Phase detection? Correct me If I'm mistaken... *Thou I do agree it's damn slow for the 650D live view focusing*

SkyStrike said:
I thought 650D using hybrid Contrast and Phase detection? Correct me If I'm mistaken... *Thou I do agree it's damn slow for the 650D live view focusing*

They put some pdaf on the sensor, but it only works with a few lenses and is still incredibly slow as the reviews and tests show. It's far from a proper pdaf system.