Nikon D5000 Proud User Group

prehistorik

Nov 12, 2009
Singapore West
I just want to start this thread for those who are Nikon D5000 users. Feel free to post anything you have in mind to discuss here.

I just love my Nikon D5000 i almost have it sold here to replace it with a Canon EOS 40/50D until i bumped my head off when i printed my photos for the first time and saw how superb the image quality is.

Plus i bought a book from Jeff Revell about the D5000 (From Snapshots to Great shots). it is where i appreciated my gear so much that i didn't learn after all. i highly recommend the book for those who are planning to sell their D5000 in exchange for another. when i read the book i didn't realize how highly capable my gear is although it is pitied against the Nikon D90 so much.

from what i read in the so many threads here when asking about to choose between a D5000 and a D90, almost 99% of them will pick the D90. reasons are, the macho look of the D90 over the boyish look of the D5000. i have hold and used the D90 and i would say its good the only difference i could feel is its more manual controls and easy to reach dedicated buttons. but when i got the chance to print some samples of the two, i didnt see any disturbing difference at all. i like also it lcd screen resolution.

beyond that, i love my D5000. its lighter, cheaper and manageable. how about you????

People get the D90 over the D5000 simply becos D90 have build in AF motor plus it has support for ISO6400.

I got the D5000 since most lens are fitted with motors inside for nikon, so not really a problem for me.

D5000's swivel LCD is something that I have learned to appreciate when I used to use a Canon S3..

Proud owner of the D5000 reporting! :lovegrin:

Even if i got myself another camera body, the D5000 will remain safe in my dry-cab. :thumbsup:

actually I think ISO 3200 still not too bad in certain condition...i left the NR as normal..

proud owner of D5000 reporting in.. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mysticalelitez/4672701646/sizes/l/

My shot, I'll like to compliment D5000 for its good image sensor, 1600 ISO was used at 1/16 without Tripod.

Wishlist: AF 50mm f1.8 for bokeh..

anyone selling cheap? :D

Get the 35mm F/1.8 like me? I dun think there is a 50mm F/1.8 with build in motor right...

yep. AF 50mm /F1.8 doesn't have SWM motor. so have to MF.

But for $160-$180 for that clarity. Its worth it.

Good for you. I still cant handle very well using MF. So the 35mm F/1.8 is for me. Cost twice as more than the 50mm but im happy clicking away. :)

D5000 for me too.

I use AFS lens (35mm F1.8G) or lenses with motor (tamrom 90mm F2.8 macro) to overlook the lack of build in motor.
I use wireless radio transmitter to take care of the lack of infrared CLS.

I really appreciate this lovely body. Ask me to change to D90 I doubt it'll make a great difference at all.

I had 50 1.8 but I honestly can't utilise it as the VF is too small and dark for me to focus properly. Everything looks sharp at a range.
Sold it off to fund for the really lovely 35mm.

Last edited:
D5000 for me too.

I use AFS lens (35mm F1.8G) or lenses with motor (tamrom 90mm F2.8 macro) to overlook the lack of build in motor.

Agree, D5000 is really a great camera of its class. :thumbsup:
BTW, how's the Tamrom 90mm F2.8 macro compare to the Nikkor 85mm F3.5 macro lens in term of the price & the image quality?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, might wanna get the Tammy 60mm f2.0. I'm using it and I love it!

Too bad the Nikkor is Made in China.. if it was a Japan lens I would've considered it also! (call me paranoid :p)

The Nikkor AF-S 60 and 105mm micro are both made in japan, while the 85mm is made in china. :)

Yupp, but the Tammy offers f2.0 and double the working distance of the Nikkor 60mm, so I grabbed it instead.

Hi, might wanna get the Tammy 60mm f2.0. I'm using it and I love it!

Too bad the Nikkor is Made in China.. if it was a Japan lens I would've considered it also! (call me paranoid :p)

don't feel bad if Nikkor lenses are made in China. manufacturer allow these to cut costs in importation. remember, the farther the country of the manufacturing company, the higher it costs in shipping and handling expenses. rather we should be happy about these. otherwise prices of these lenses wont be like these affordable.

in addition, all Nikkor lenses which are made in china, bodies in Thailand, are under the strict supervision of the Japan company who developed it. its only the workforce that has changed but not the quality. the technology, the materials are still by Japan.

I know, it's just a nagging consideration at the back of my mind.

I'm sure the Nikkor 85mm is a good lens. Btw, the 105mm is now made elsewhere now if I'm not wrong. It's no longer a MIJ piece.

I'm new to this NIKON DSLR world, after few selection and a lot of research, i've decided to take D5K as my entry level and most important is the reasonable price.
The outcome(result)...i will give it 90%, the other 10% will got to practice more to earn it.

hi all,

i bought my 1st dslr d5k last mar'10, and just like u im a proud owner. cheers :)

Hi all,

like too check, i can buy a len that without AF motor to use on our D5000?