Nikon D5000 or Sony A550?

Bro Ghostfit,

Thanks!

Looks like Sony A550 is my choice liao, on paper.
Will go test it out thoroughly in the camera shops.
Any good shops to recommend?

for A550, u can go to Sony Style at Wisma and test until u happy.

I went there to test out A850 for nearly 1 hour :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Bro Ghostfit,

Thanks!

Looks like Sony A550 is my choice liao, on paper.
Will go test it out thoroughly in the camera shops.
Any good shops to recommend?

Test until you drop in sonystyle. Then buy from MS Color, then join the sony alpha forum and join the outings.

I've written a complaint email to Best Denki about their poor service.
Let's see what is the reply.

it's like that one. you think best denki will send their staffs for photography courses? those sales person have to work 10 hrs a day. go home also tire, still will go internet and self study?

but i agree, if they not sure, they shouldn't smoke you.

Last edited:
compare D5000 with Sony A500 ..similar price tag..

Nikon has more lenses doesnt mean you are going to buy all :) jkin.. for lens choice they do offer good lots of choices.. same for flash

good thing about Nikon/Canon over Sony is their accessories are eazy to find... and they 2 are the 1st to be supported when third party software/accessories/lenses launched.

I still prefer A500 over D5000 if i have to choose again from fresh .. try to buy A500 with 16105 lens its cheaper

it's like that one. you think best denki will send their staffs for photography courses? those sales person have to work 10 hrs a day. go home also tire, still will go internet and self study?

but i agree, if they not sure, they shouldn't smoke you.

Will you buy from a sales person who seems knowledgeable and looks very certain when stating his facts? Or a sales person who seems to hesitate before answering, who like everything also dunno, who say he will go check out for you then still come back 5mins later with no answer? If I am sales person selling you a tv, for example, how much true knowledge do you think I have if I tell you this brand is better that brand, when you ask me which one better? ;)

Managed to get hands-on experience with A550 at Sony Care Centre in Wisma Atria.
The feeling is good, the shutter response is fast, but kind of heavy.

Where can do the same test on D5000?

Managed to get hands-on experience with A550 at Sony Care Centre in Wisma Atria.
The feeling is good, the shutter response is fast, but kind of heavy.

Best Denki, harvey norman, etc

I used Canon 550 with 10-22mm, 70-300mm, 50mm 1.4 etc but to buy others lenses are expensive cost the (IS / VR) is builted in the lens not the body itself. Beside those mentioned, I would also like to point out that the SONY and only one has the "Mirror Reflex Lens" with Auto foucus and yet light in weight ard $1200 from Cathay for birding.

The A550 is a much better choice for me as that's the reason I sold all the Canon stuff and switched to A550 with a walking lens 18-70, 70-300mm and a 500 mm Mirror lens for birding and long range shooting.

Get another Canon S90 for travelling as it light and it similiar to LX3.
with these , my choice is no regrets.

Last edited:
I recently reserved a a550 for myself. Not sure if D5000 is better compared with a350.

Nope. I'd say D5000 and a350 are on par (with the A350 still having the Sony advantages like fast AF in live view, SSS), and the A550 is a big step up!

Basically, all the superstores have demo sets readily available. Or you can go down to Nikon Service Center/Showroom at Fuji Xerox Tower to test it out with a full array of lenses.