Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D

miloddog

Apr 8, 2010
HI all,
need your advise here. i'm very new to this new hobby, i have read alot from here but and still confused on which is more suitable for me..

to me i like night scenery and portrait with some dreamy feel.. i would like to take candid shots too...

pls advise me..

sorry if i did not phrase it correctly...

thanks!!!

The D5000 and 550D are in slightly different categories. The D5000 is more like the 1000D, a budget body.

Both will give you all the controls you need for your shots. For the "dreamy feel" this would be more related to the lens you use, and all DSLR makers have the right lenses for that.

I suggest going out and feeling/testing the cameras, see which is the most comfortable in your hands. Also, don't forget to test Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc.

if you dont need the video mode.

can always get a second hand 400D and fast lenses like the f2.8 or faster lenses.

thats another option you might want to consider.

The D5000 and 550D are in slightly different categories. The D5000 is more like the 1000D, a budget body.

Both will give you all the controls you need for your shots. For the "dreamy feel" this would be more related to the lens you use, and all DSLR makers have the right lenses for that.

I suggest going out and feeling/testing the cameras, see which is the most comfortable in your hands. Also, don't forget to test Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc.

Actually, personally, I find the D5k to be exactly the same level as the 550D.

incase nobody's figured out each brand has cameras that compete with each other on levels...

d3x = 1ds III
d3s = 1dIV
d700 = 5dII
d300s = 7D
d90 = 50D, 40D
d5000 = 550D, 500D
d3000 = 1000D

however the D5000 is getting a little outdated now so i would go with the canon...

incase nobody's figured out each brand has cameras that compete with each other on levels...

d3x = 1ds III
d3s = 1dIV
d700 = 5dII
d300s = 7D
d90 = 50D, 40D
d5000 = 550D, 500D
d3000 = 1000D

however the D5000 is getting a little outdated now so i would go with the canon...

I wouldn't put D90 as the same category as 50D.

Personally I wouldn't pick a camera solely based on the specs of the camera. DSLRs are systems and consideration should be made for lenses and flash units. Cameras gets outdated every now and then but lenses and flash units don't.

If budget is limited, I would go for the D5000 kit + 35mm f/1.8.

Actually, personally, I find the D5k to be exactly the same level as the 550D.

Agree with you on this, the build of the D5000 is more than what I would expect from an entry-level camera.

depends on yr budget...if you are on a tight one, take the d5000, many shops are selling it real cheap...The quality of the d5000 is excellent too...Used one before...

hi there, another newbie here. anyone know whr i can get d5000 at the lowest price? thanks

hi there, another newbie here. anyone know whr i can get d5000 at the lowest price? thanks

Look at the priceguide section.

I think now going for 1199 for the kit 1 and 1469 for kit 2 (18-55+55-200).

If I were you I would probably go for D5000 body (if you can find it) and 35mm f1.8 or 17-50 f2.8 second hand!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondocheesemonster/sets/72157623000515425/

Can look at my set for an idea of what that combo looks like. The more recent ones are using 5000 + 17-50, some are with 35, and the macro was using 60.

I got it for $1050 from MS Color early last month. D5000 kit 1 with freebies (8gb, additional original batt and a bag). Other shops like Cathay Photo and Alan Photo selling about same price

HI all,
need your advise here. i'm very new to this new hobby, i have read alot from here but and still confused on which is more suitable for me..

to me i like night scenery and portrait with some dreamy feel.. i would like to take candid shots too...

pls advise me..

sorry if i did not phrase it correctly...

thanks!!!

D5000 is not a bad camera except the resolution on the LCD abit bad..can see the dots clearly, even worst than my sony T9 PNS camera..same pixels but resolution can be seen easily..I got a 550d because of this..

I wouldn't put D90 as the same category as 50D.

Personally I wouldn't pick a camera solely based on the specs of the camera. DSLRs are systems and consideration should be made for lenses and flash units. Cameras gets outdated every now and then but lenses and flash units don't.

If budget is limited, I would go for the D5000 kit + 35mm f/1.8.

Hmmmm. But considering he/she is a newbie/beginner, is it wise to get the kit + the 35mm lens? My friend advised me to start humble. Train with kit lens and familiarise with the body functions first, then if i decide to upgrade lens, then buy. His advice was that it wasnt recommended for beginners to start with prime lens. Any insight on this?

Just understand that with the 550D, any and all EF/EFS lens for the EOS mount will autofocus. D5000 lacks an in-body autofocus motor so do take note when you are buying lens.

Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic feature built in stabilization so what happens is that any lens will seem to have IS/VR built in which can be tremendous savings.

But it all depends what you intend to do as some camera systems do the same job more efficiently in some areas.

as for which lens to start with?

My recommendation would be the 18-55mm + 50mm f1/8 combination which is well suited for travelling or the 28-300 lens for an all in one solution at the expense of picture iq. The more specialized lenses should be left alone until you figure out what you want to do with the system and just what the lens can do.

Last edited:
depends lah. actually the only drawback of d5k is lack of AF motor. but if you are like gonna get a 35mm f1.8 only then it's fine.