Nikon D5000 or Canon 500D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paolo

Apr 15, 2009
Hi good fellas!!
Pls help me in choosing my 1st DSLR.. i am at a crossroad now in choosing either the Nikon D5000 or the Canon 500D..
Pls guide me.. I have done a small research on both dslr.. let me just highlight a bit of wat make me having this headache..

I love the 'animated' menu on the Lcd of the Nikon showing of how the aperture works when u set it and the thumbnails pics of the auto scene setting that u want to snap a pic.. i find it very very helpful for a beginner like me.. i don't find that on Canon.. on the other hand, i found out that the Nikon lens are very expensive than the Canon lens which in fututre i might be having problems getting new lens..

Most of my friends are using canon so that might be very helpful to me too..

So pls, if u have time, give me some advice.. thanks! God bless you!

They are in a different league

while 500D is a mid range DSLR

the D5000 is in between the entry-level and mid range

why? because the D5000 has screen nearly the size of mid range cameras and video function but yet no in built AF motor

crippling the use af of older lenses on it

i would get the 500D

seeing as your friends use canons you'll be able to trade lenses, and personally i reckon the canon lens system is a lot simpler to understand and use.. its either ef or ef-s, all ef lenses will work with canon dslrs and ef-s ones work with all 1.6x crop dslrs... so not much hassle when it comes to finding a new lens that works fully with ur camera later.

Personally I think the animated menu is patronising to people who know what they are doing. It also takes a lot longer to hunt through the menu when you're trying to find a certain feature.

MelbourneGuy is right

canon's price is good at entry levels cams up to 50 D

anything higher they're same as nikon

if you have a budget canon is better

have to admit they think for their customers pockets as well

if not nikon will do well

then again it's your choice

we can only advice you

If you are in fact considering the Canon 500D and Nikon D90, take a look at my thread on the topic. It's exhaustive.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510366

By the way, if you're not going to use the movie mode on the 500D (which I see as a bit of a gimmick), then you can save yourself a couple of hundred $ and just get the 450D. I personally think the image quality is superior to the 500D, though just not as many megapixels.

once again agree with melbourneguy

just as if you do not need the movie mode of D90

get the D80 and only trade-off is the difference of 2.x megapixels

and not as though you're going to need all the megapixels stated

and it is at least a few hundred dollars difference in price

as for image quality (D80 vs D90) i'm not sure as compared to the image quality of 450D vs the 500D but one things for sure

the iso sensitivity of the D80 is better then the D90

I know the dilemma you're in cos it happened to me 2 years back before I got my 1st DSLR the Nikon D60. Basically the D5000 is a very good upgrade of the D60 almost paring with the D90.

My suggestion is go to a shop and try both cam out and see which one your're most comfortable with. Go with your first instinct and rarely you'll be wrong cos the cam will just be a tool and good photography is 99% about skills. It's true that the D5000 wil require a lens with inbuilt motor but as a beginer, a kit lens will keep you good for at least a year.

Technical comparison you can look at this website :http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

Do let us know when you do decide on which one. Good luck:devil:

i went to audio hse to check out the cam.. and ask the guy.. which is better... nikon vs canon..
he said his personal preferance is nikon.. as the color is better
then he took same pic.. with both cameras.. and said nikon can shoot the au natural color, which canon has a software which will "enhance" the color....
i dont really know what he meant, coz i tot the output of canon looks better????
i am a newbie hence i cant really appreciate his meaning... pls enlighten???

and he kept promoting the d60...:dunno:

i went to audio hse to check out the cam.. and ask the guy.. which is better... nikon vs canon..
then he took same pic.. with both cameras.. and said nikon can shoot the au natural color, which canon has a software which will "enhance" the color....
i dont really know what he meant, coz i tot the output of canon looks better????

Which Canon DSLR did he use to compare with the D60?:dunno:

The colors output is per individual preference bah.

But he's bull when he says Nikon can shoot natural color and Canon can't. It's all in the settings/post-processing.

Snap some shots in their default JPG settings using your own memory card on both cameras, and, bring it home to review them on your monitor.

See which camera's outputs suit you better.

With due respect, you've been fed a bunch of BS, as already pointed out.

Ask a salesman a question and you'll most likely get a biased answer which favours moving old stock or chasing the biggest profit margin.

There are a huge number of differences between different vendors, but colour isn't something I'd pay any attention to. Both Canon and Nikon allow you to adjust your white balance and use preset colour modes so you can pretty much forget about that. Pay more attention to the ergonomics, features, price, value for money, and most definitely the choice of available lenses.

With due respect, you've been fed a bunch of BS, as already pointed out.

Ask a salesman a question and you'll most likely get a biased answer which favours moving old stock or chasing the biggest profit margin.

There are a huge number of differences between different vendors, but colour isn't something I'd pay any attention to. Both Canon and Nikon allow you to adjust your white balance and use preset colour modes so you can pretty much forget about that. Pay more attention to the ergonomics, features, price, value for money, and most definitely the choice of available lenses.

Totally agree...i think we shdn't ask the salesman to recommend a camera....they always give different answer...

I also thinking to get my 1st DSLR.....still choosing between Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D....i think most probably will go for Canon..since can get more lenses in cheaper price in the future...

Btw, do you all think that the coming PC fair can get a good deal? or shop like John316 or MSColor also offering good deal now?

Btw, do you all think that the coming PC fair can get a good deal? or shop like John316 or MSColor also offering good deal now?
From previous PC/IT shows, price may not be cheaper but will get more freebies. To get a really good deal go to those shops recommended and bargain really hard. If possible get a cheaper deal than the PC show AND get all the same freebies:sweatsm:

Thank you good people.. i went to the shop and get the feel of both cameras again.. and after a careful consideration ( almost 45 minutes i play around with the two cameras).. i decided that what suit me best and what i really need is in the Nikon D5000. I am truly happy with what i choose after u guys have help me quite a lot in terms of advice.. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

Congratulations:cheergal:

Now it's time to rock & roll:vhappy: and start the learning process. Do post your photos for the seniors to comment. Fastest way to learn. Enjoy:devil:

Sure!! I'm addicted to my 1st dslr!! woohoo!!!

congratz. Now go to shoot shoot and show us the pictures.. hehe
hw much you bought for ur D5000?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.