Nikon D5000 + Multipurpose zoom lenses?

flyeminent

Dec 24, 2010
Hello everyone, really awesome to join such a community.
As a newbie in digital photography, I would like to hear you friends' advice to make a good and valuable match up for my Nikon D5000.
I am considering to purchase a multipurpose zoom lens and was stuck into these options below:
  1. AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II (good but a little beyond my budget)
  1. 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS (not bad and reasonable price)
  1. 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (even better and still within my budget, but we seldom zoom into 250mm?)
This is the first time that I am buying a lens (other than the kit-lens that I have), so I want to think it over carefully and seek your helps on it.
Are there any drawbacks to use third-party lenses, both in short-term and long-term?
Appreciate in advance for any advice.:bsmilie:

none of the above.. I'd recommend 16-85mm.

Do you need 200mm?

BTW, why do you feel a need to upgrade from kit lens?

Do you need 200mm?

16-85 is indeed a quality lens with a nice range but TS has to figure for himself if he needs the width or reach, and if he minds changing lenses...

Do you need 200mm?

Good point. Honestly, I don't really have a clear picture of why I need a multipurpose zoom lens (as "long" as 200mm). But I did encounter some situations that I cannot zoom close enough to shoot the object (in order to make better composition). Kit lens is a good starting for newbies. I just wonder if it's better that I possess a lens so that I can handle most shooting situations (I may need a wide-angle lens in future). I certainly don't want to change lens frequently.
So you guys seldom use focal length of 200mm or above?

what do you shoot that makes you often doesn't have enough zoom power?

Good point. Honestly, I don't really have a clear picture of why I need a multipurpose zoom lens (as "long" as 200mm). But I did encounter some situations that I cannot zoom close enough to shoot the object (in order to make better composition). Kit lens is a good starting for newbies. I just wonder if it's better that I possess a lens so that I can handle most shooting situations (I may need a wide-angle lens in future). I certainly don't want to change lens frequently.

When I had my Nikon, I found 16-85 to fit me best since the 16mm is very useful for taking photograph during travels.
Of course, once in a while, I wished I had a 200mm or 500mm for that matter.
But those are rare instances.
(I have a Sony a55 now since it fits my requirements: easy to use even by wife/in-laws, liveview focusing. The moral of the story is to understand your requirements.)

18-55mm is a very good lens. It also has a very close focusing distance (good for pseudo-macro shots of food when I was traveling).
I don't even put filter on it since it is cheap to replace.
The moment you buy an expensive lens, you will feel obliged, at least in my case, to put a filter on as a protection.
This however will decrease the quality of the pictures taken by the lens (though probably not noticeable in most instances).

So, find out why you want to upgrade the kit lens first (maybe you want the bokeh effect? or reach? or wide-ness?) and mull over it for a day or two.

Good luck

Last edited:
If you want to take birds , you need at least 400mm above

I am a newbie and if I am taking outdoor photo in general, would it be better to use the af-s 18 - 103 mm VR lens? If I use the af-s 18 -55 mm VR lens and have to interchange with 55-200 mm VR lens, not only it is cummbersome, will it spoilt my camera and even allow dust to get in?

I am thinking, if it is general indoor shoot, maybe the 18-55 standard lens is suitable. Maybe as I am a better photographer, then I may have to look at more lens?

I am a newbie and if I am taking outdoor photo in general, would it be better to use the af-s 18 - 103 mm VR lens? If I use the af-s 18 -55 mm VR lens and have to interchange with 55-200 mm VR lens, not only it is cummbersome, will it spoilt my camera and even allow dust to get in?

I am thinking, if it is general indoor shoot, maybe the 18-55 standard lens is suitable. Maybe as I am a better photographer, then I may have to look at more lens?

I find the 18-55 range to be very convenient and I seldom need anything longer than that.

You will not spoil your camera by changing lenses unless you try to brute force your lens or something. Dust can also be avoided by changing lenses quickly (search up youtube videos on how to do that) and taking precautions like not changing lenses in dusty environment etc. It can also be removed pretty easily.

it wouldnt spoil ur camera. yes, there is a risk of allowing dust to enter the camera, but there r ways to prevent it. point the body downwards, face away from the wind and change quickly.

i find the way this guy changes lenses is kinda risky, but it's fast. haf to keep training ur fingers to do it :bsmilie:
[vid]PiWctOW5p6A&[/vid]

Last edited:
it wouldnt spoil ur camera. yes, there is a risk of allowing dust to enter the camera, but there r ways to prevent it. point the body downwards, face away from the wind and change quickly.

i find the way this guy changes lenses is kinda risky, but it's fast. haf to keep training ur fingers to do it :bsmilie:
not really risky unless u dealing with heavy lens/body or have small/weak fingers

[vid]PiWctOW5p6A&[/vid]

sry but i've to say tat technique in the video is silly.

As a newbie in digital photography, I would like to hear you friends' advice to make a good and valuable match up for my Nikon D5000.
I am considering to purchase a multipurpose zoom lens and was stuck into these options below:
  1. AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II (good but a little beyond my budget)
  1. 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (even better and still within my budget, but we seldom zoom into 250mm?)
This is the first time that I am buying a lens (other than the kit-lens that I have), so I want to think it over carefully and seek your helps on it.
Are there any drawbacks to use third-party lenses, both in short-term and long-term?

I use an 18-105mm on my D5000. Plenty of them at CS B&S. Not bad lens, wide to mid-range zoom. Then you can carry around the 55-200mm VR if you want extra zoom. Both lens will cost you less than the 18-200mm, 2nd hand anyway.

My 2 cents. Cheers! :)

Depend on your shooting style, which everyone is not the same.
When I shot with 70-200, I was pushed to keep shooting at 200mm ;)

I personally rarely use anything above 70mm on my D90. =)
If I were you, I'd go for a wide and 17-50.

I suggest buying the Nikkor 18-200mm vr1 used. You can get a good copy for about 700sgd and is as good as the newer vr2 model except for creep issues and zoom lock.
The sigma 18-200mm OS will not AF on the D5000. You need the HSM to AF.
All the best.

Hmmm, I don't think I like what I saw on the video and I will not be using that method. Having a little dust maybe safer than dropping one of the lens!

Maybe we can point the camera downwards more often while changing so that dust will not be easily collected but really not much different. I guess the best is to ensure the environment is clean and free from moisture before you remove the lens.

Hi
Check out the Tamron 18-270 VR.
It's a very good and versitile lens and priced well.
And it has macro capability and on a DX you will have a range from 27mm to 420 mm
One multi purpose lens like you want.
Eb

Last edited:
I'm a D5000 owner and I use a Tamron 18-270mm.

I find myself using either end of the zoom range and not much of the in between. :bsmilie:

I've found that the current setup suits me. This setup more convinent than having to bring along 2 lenses to cover the same focal range.