Nikon D500

sammy888

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NikonD500?src=hash

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/nikons-reveals-the-d500-dslr/

D500_BF1B_front.low_.jpg

Looks like I was right to not wait for a D400 years ago. Seem like they jumped it and went to a D500.

I wonder if they want to call it D500 to keep to the D5 theme. heh Impressive features along with touch screen and connectivity too.

Last edited:
NIKON D500 OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED on 6th January 2016 !!!

D500 Primary features

Powerful 153-point AF achieves superior subject acquisition performance across a wide range of situations
The D500's Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module offers a dense configuration of 153 focus points (99 cross sensors) that covers an extremely wide portion of the image area, meaning that even fast-moving subjects can be acquired precisely. AF capability is extended down to -4 EV* with the central point and -3 EV* with all other points, making AF usable even in extremely low light or when shooting low-contrast subjects. A newly employed AF engine and 180K-pixel RGB sensor also contribute to achieving exceptional AF performance in a variety of scenes.

High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps for up to 200 shots (14-bit lossless compressed RAW)
The D500 delivers high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps*1 for up to 200 shots in JPEG and in 14-bit lossless compressed RAW, without any drop in shooting speed. Even moving subjects can be tracked accurately across a wide field of view at this rapid rate, taking advantage of the camera's stable viewfinder image and a widest-ever diagonal viewing angle*2 of approx. 30.8°.

Unique benefits of a compact DX system — added agility in telephoto shooting
Nikon's DX-format D500 provides an angle of view equivalent to that of a lens with an approx. 1.5x longer focal length*1. This permits telephoto shooting using smaller, lighter lenses with a shorter focal length, while taking advantage of performance that rivals the D5 FX-format flagship model. The camera's agility is also enhanced by the kit lens, AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR, the lightweight 5x normal zoom lens, which weighs only approx. 1340 g/2 lb 15.3 oz*2 when attached to the D500.

4K UHD video, suitable for professional productions
The D500 can record 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)/30p/25p/24p as well as 1080/60p video for up to 29 min. 59 s*1, with simultaneous output via HDMI available. It is also possible to generate 4K UHD time-lapse movies within the camera. In Full HD or HD mode, the D500's electronic Vibration Reduction function*2 reduces the effects of camera shake in the horizontal, vertical and rotational directions during hand-held movie recording, while Active D-Lighting preserves details in highlights and shadows to capture footage with natural brightness.

New EXPEED 5 image-processing engine achieves sensitivity up to ISO 51200, expandable to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 1640000)
The D500's new EXPEED 5 image-processing engine, as used in the D5, delivers standard ISO sensitivity from 100 to 51200, expandable down to Lo 1 (ISO 50 equivalent) and up to Hi 5 (ISO 1640000 equivalent). It can capture exceptionally high-definition images, while effectively reducing noise even at high ISO settings. The new 180K-pixel RGB sensor (approx. 180,000 pixels) further improves the performance of the camera's Advanced Scene Recognition System, and its flicker reduction for still images reduces exposure variations even under flickering light sources.

Touch-screen, tilting 8-cm/3.2-in. high-resolution monitor ensures more comfortable shooting for professionals and advanced amateurs
The D500's touch-panel monitor enables a variety of functions, including instant switching of images using the frame advance bar and text input — shared with the D5 — as well as touch AF and touch shutter (in still shooting). The tilting monitor with 3-axis hinge structure allows you to shoot from more flexible angles for stills and movies. And its large 8-cm/3.2-in. screen with significantly enhanced 2359k-dot resolution lets you confirm focus in amazingly precise detail.

SnapBridge support lets you link with a smart device via Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi®
The D500 can be constantly connected to a smart device* with the SnapBridge application installed (to be available as a free download), via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This enables a variety of features: you can automatically transfer images taken with the D500 to your smart device, as well as upload them automatically to NIKON IMAGE SPACE. You can also use the smart device to browse images stored in the camera, as well as embed images with its location and date/time information. SnapBridge dramatically enhances the value and convenience of images taken with the D500.

WT-7/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter (optional) enables high-speed wired/wireless LAN communication
Nikon's WT-7/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter is aimed at professionals who need to transfer images more quickly than they can with built-in wireless LAN. When attached to the D500, it allows images and movie files to be transferred to computers* or FTP server via both wired and wireless LAN. The D500 with WT-7/A/B/C can be used as a wireless LAN access point, permitting easy connections with computers and smart devices.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d500-dx-dslr-announced-28651

I saw yesterday two new 18-55 slow lenses. Makes sense now why they kept DX fast lenses in production and at premium cost. I also saw last night article from last April on FX mirrorless F mount unit that speculated announcement early this year or in the fall...has me wondering whether I shouldn't wait yet to pull the trigger on a Df. Anyone think Df price will fall further if they announce new mirrorless camera? I'm a shameless tightwad cheapskate... :bsmilie:

Sorry for topic drift my brain is firing...

20MP...the sweet spot for digital in 24X36 imo.

4K video...wonder the quality of pulled stills...

I bet D500 if it comes in at strategic placed price point will sell well. What do you all think?

Last edited:
This looks great for wildlife and sports photography. Wow, cant wait.

crap !!! :(
I bought d810 because I've been waiting replacement of d300s for tooooooo looooong.
This d500 is even better. And that viewfinder, completely a different look to compare of those previous DX cameras.
Should have waited a bit longer ... *sigh*

I wonder if this will be the end of the line last great hurrah for pro model DX Nikon DSLR???

Last edited:
The D500 should sell well.

Waiting for all the video goodness in the d500 to trickle down to the DXX00 series. Am excited now at the potential prospect of an inexpensive 4k camera with 12+ stops DR and an ultra-efficient codec and all that good Nikon ergonomics.

Seems to be approx US$2k. Good to manage my own expectations while waiting for Nikon SG to release the official pricing.. and see how to fund it.

5 Reasons Why The New Nikon D500 is a 7D Mk II Killer

1) 10 FPS Burst with 79 Raw Image Buffer Depth

Having a 10 frames-per-second continous burst puts it level with what Canon's 7D Mark II offers, but the 79 raw image buffer depth far exceeds the 31 raw images of the 7D II.

2) 153-AF Points

So the Canon 7D Mark II has 65 all cross type AF points. Nice. The D500 has 153-AF Points, 99 of them being cross type. That's pretty impressive, right? Well that's because it use the same autofocusing system as the newly-announced D5.

3) 4K Video

Yep. That's right. I remember a time not so long ago when Nikon didn't do video mode very well. Well, maybe they still won't do it well with the D500, but looky here - Nikon has put a 4K video mode in (with a 1080 60p option) one of their consumer DSLRs before Canon did. Nikon was quiet in 2015 but it is the quiet ones that you have to watch out for. Then there auto ISO smoothing to make ISO changes during recording smoother and a 3-axis electronic vibration reduction to create a smoother-looking video.

4) Always On Wireless

It features 'SnapBridge' - kinda sounds like a combination of two card games - that allows the camera to always be connected wirelessly, doing away without the need to establish a connection everytime you need to use it. It uses Bluetooth to keep the camera connected to your smartphone constantly, which should in theory make transferring images quick and easy. Apparently, Nikon will be putting this into all future cameras that they release.

5) 0.7 More Megapixels Than The 7D Mark II!!!

You do the math: 20.9-megapixels of the D500 vs 20.2-megapixels of the 7D Mark II - imagine how much larger you can print those images! Or maybe don't bother.

Still, there is every possibility that the D500 could shoot the better image. It certainly has a higher ISO capability: 100-51,200 ISO range that's expandable to 50-1,640,000 ISO. The 7D Mark II goes up to ISO 25,600 (expanded).

It's Gonna Be a Good One

I am really looking forward to testing this out. I don't know who we have to sleep with to get our hands on one quick...I guess it's either me, Lok or the Bloody Producer that will have to get busy then...

Pricing set at $2000, which is more than the $1.5k Canon 7D Mark II.

http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/5-reasons-the-new-nikon-d500-is-a-7d-mkii-killer

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d500-dx-dslr-announced-28651

I saw yesterday two new 18-55 slow lenses. Makes sense now why they kept DX fast lenses in production and at premium cost. I also saw last night article from last April on FX mirrorless F mount unit that speculated announcement early this year or in the fall...has me wondering whether I shouldn't wait yet to pull the trigger on a Df. Anyone think Df price will fall further if they announce new mirrorless camera? I'm a shameless tightwad cheapskate... :bsmilie:

Sorry for topic drift my brain is firing...

20MP...the sweet spot for digital in 24X36 imo.

4K video...wonder the quality of pulled stills...

I bet D500 if it comes in at strategic placed price point will sell well. What do you all think?

A little too late in my case. I was waiting for the D400 back then but came to the decision that it will never come about back in 2012 and jump on the D4. This D500 is impressive with the new features but having moved on to the FX, I see little reason to consider it. The added bells and whistles taken away, the improve IQ due to a new processor..etc, a camera like even a D7000 is able to do the job. For 90% of shooting situations that don't need the fastest action AF speed, tracking very complicated subject ..etc The Nikon Df is more then up to the task for a few years to come if you buy one now.

At even this point in time, I think the D810/D4s are still good enough cameras for pros.

But as someone also mentioned here, the D500 will be popular with wildlife shooters looking to save on lens price versus focal length issue.

Good things come to those who wait.
Very nice surprise I must say.
Auto AF tuning - need more info on this!!

while i have been using FX for a bit, this is going to be killer! Nikon has not made me so interested in a cam body since the D3s