Status
Not open for further replies.

uy_uil

Deregistered
Nov 3, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

a very new newbie here..please enlighten me!

i'm upgrading from a PnS Sony Cybershot to a Nikon D50 very soon..
i had my hands on the D70 for quite some time (on loan) previously and i'm
very happy with the results and speed.

going with my D50 will be either AF-S DX 55-200mm or the cheaper
AF 70-300mm. The price difference seems attractive, for such a poor student like me.
however, can anyone here explain whats the diff betwn AF-S DX & AF lenses? how's the performance difference?

i've read kenrockwell's site but i'm still unsure which to get. He sounds too pro and perhaps his needs are different from mine.

for a beginner like myself, which lens would you guys recommend? i was quoted thru email
by AP-Funan:
D50 kit: $1120
55-200: $365
70-300: $235
all b4 GST.. i suppose can git abit lower if i go over and do some bargaining. hahas!

please help. thanks!

AF-S just has an additional motor, - Silent Wave Motor. AF-S is an abbreviated form for AF SWM. SWM provides a quieter and faster focusing than normal AF glasses.

DX lenses are Digital format lenses, with image circles only enough to cover a Nikon DSLR sensor. Not meant for film bodies as the film's frame is twice the size of the DSLR's sensor.

As for purchasing, I suggest you purchase from TK Foto @ Beach Road, 2nd level Shaw Towers instead. Price & Service sure number 1 :thumbsup:

uy_uil said:
Hi all,

Better to wait as the D80 just release they maybe price drop :dunno:

Get more quote before buying. ;)

YMMV

longkangman said:
Better to wait as the D80 just release they maybe price drop :dunno:

Get more quote before buying. ;)

YMMV

Hi,
aware of that, my recent 'research' have proven me tht.
D80 is officially out today. will definitely get more quotes b4 buying.
will be buying after my exams in abt 2 weeks time. if not i'll flung all modules.

thanks for reminding though!

uy_uil said:
Hi,
aware of that, my recent 'research' have proven me tht.
D80 is officially out today. will definitely get more quotes b4 buying.
will be buying after my exams in abt 2 weeks time. if not i'll flung all modules.

thanks for reminding though!

not out today but was announced.. shd be out within few mths..
so u hav to wait for a few mths b4 it arrive in SG..
and so is the 70-300 VR..
:thumbsup:

uy_uil said:
Hi all,

for a beginner like myself, which lens would you guys recommend? i was quoted thru email
by AP-Funan:
all b4 GST.. i suppose can git abit lower if i go over and do some bargaining. hahas!

Judging from your lens choices, they cover mid-tele end, so if multiply by 1.6 crop factor, your wide angle is 55 * 1.6 = 88mm. Will you foresee yourself using those focal length most of the time? Have you tried the kit lens 18-55mm and 18-70mm?

As for D50, take note that the top LCD panel doesn't have light. So if you are a night shooter, this may be a issue. I heard some people carries a torch light with them.

jeffhiew said:
As for D50, take note that the top LCD panel doesn't have light. So if you are a night shooter, this may be a issue. I heard some people carries a torch light with them.
That's what people used to do when the above panel LCD doesn't have light. It's nothing new.

dun tink w/o lcd light on top panel will caused any prob. most area r well lit, and if not there always moonlight..
but if u r shooting under reallydark places den a small torch light is a mus..
handphone also got light.. ;)

jeffhiew said:
Judging from your lens choices, they cover mid-tele end, so if multiply by 1.6 crop factor, your wide angle is 55 * 1.6 = 88mm. Will you foresee yourself using those focal length most of the time? Have you tried the kit lens 18-55mm and 18-70mm?

Yup, i was having the 18-70 on the D70. the range was fine for me, definitely getting the kit (18-55)
need the longer lens cos i'll be doing some travelling.

As for the top panel light, not much of a problem i suppose. my handphone can double up as torch if there's a need.

the two lenses are worth considering but any idea which one would suit a beginner like me? will the more expensive lens compensate in terms of performance?

uy_uil said:
Yup, i was having the 18-70 on the D70. the range was fine for me, definitely getting the kit (18-55)
need the longer lens cos i'll be doing some travelling.

As for the top panel light, not much of a problem i suppose. my handphone can double up as torch if there's a need.

the two lenses are worth considering but any idea which one would suit a beginner like me? will the more expensive lens compensate in terms of performance?

i would suggest getting the d50 kit + sigma 70-300 (ard $320). it performs better than the nikon 70-300, but not very sure if its better or worse than 55-200 (most probably better).

ExplorerZ said:
i would suggest getting the d50 kit + sigma 70-300 (ard $320). it performs better than the nikon 70-300, but not very sure if its better or worse than 55-200 (most probably better).

did a check on Sigma site. Its MSRP is $200 USD. Seems a strong competitor with 55-200mm in terms of cost and performance. both aperture range are the same. The sigma also has a switch for changeover to macro too..

any users out there?

uy_uil said:
did a check on Sigma site. Its MSRP is $200 USD. Seems a strong competitor with 55-200mm in terms of cost and performance. both aperture range are the same. The sigma also has a switch for changeover to macro too..

any users out there?

im using it :bsmilie:, pretty good consider its price :thumbsup:

Why dun give sigma 70-200 a try...its a little expensive...but you will have HSM and f2.8..

westwest1 said:
Why dun give sigma 70-200 a try...its a little expensive...but you will have HSM and f2.8..

hahas, the 70-200 is way off my budget (its abt 5x more - correct me if i'm wrong), i'm still a real newbie. can't invest on that yet, if not, dad's gonna kill me and stop giving me $$
hahas.

i think i'll still stick with the 70-300mm since it has macro capability. Something which i wanna go into.

At least you're gonna have two lenses... haha, which is good!

My 2nd hand D70 is only stuck with an 18-70...but i've no complains of it. I've yet to decide whether to get a Sigma 70-300, a 50mm f/1.8, or a SB600..because everything comes out from my own wallet... -.-

metallilan said:
At least you're gonna have two lenses... haha, which is good!

My 2nd hand D70 is only stuck with an 18-70...but i've no complains of it. I've yet to decide whether to get a Sigma 70-300, a 50mm f/1.8, or a SB600..because everything comes out from my own wallet... -.-

I'm still hoping for the price of D50 to drop, once D80 are well-stocked. hopefully, there's some crazy discounts for D70s.. (am i thinking too much).

some IT Shows are round the corner. If i'm not wrong, they used to give memory cards, dry cab, tripods etc. for such models. I should wait awhile more i guess. SB600 is way out of my budget. hard saved money!!

total budget for the whole system: 1600 and below!

uy_uil said:
Hi all,

i had my hands on the D70 for quite some time (on loan) previously and i'm
very happy with the results and speed.

going with my D50 will be either AF-S DX 55-200mm or the cheaper
AF 70-300mm. The price difference seems attractive, for such a poor student like me.
however, can anyone here explain whats the diff betwn AF-S DX & AF lenses? how's the performance difference?

i've read kenrockwell's site but i'm still unsure which to get. He sounds too pro and perhaps his needs are different from mine.

by AP-Funan:

please help. thanks!

hey just for your info...

price quoted by MS w/GST when i was there..

D50 Kit 1188
55-200 270
70-300 250

uy_uil said:
I'm still hoping for the price of D50 to drop, once D80 are well-stocked. hopefully, there's some crazy discounts for D70s.. (am i thinking too much).

some IT Shows are round the corner. If i'm not wrong, they used to give memory cards, dry cab, tripods etc. for such models. I should wait awhile more i guess. SB600 is way out of my budget. hard saved money!!

total budget for the whole system: 1600 and below!

might want to consider a 2hand system
e.g d50 kit ($800) + sigma 70-300 ($250) + SB600 ($300) and finally a 50/1.8 ($170 - New) :thumbsup:
personally i recommand get flash new cos mine ended up in holiday twice liao :cry: ... heng still under warranty

drewdam said:
hey just for your info...

price quoted by MS w/GST when i was there..

D50 Kit 1188
55-200 270
70-300 250

Hi drewdam,

may i know when was it quoted to you? MS Colour is very near my place! hahas!

uy_uil said:
Hi drewdam,

may i know when was it quoted to you? MS Colour is very near my place! hahas!

this Monday only...

Status
Not open for further replies.