Nikon D50, Can it do color IR? Tamron 28-75mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Sorry for the newbie question but I did try searching. According to the sticky, the Nikon D50 is capable of IR but it didn't say if it is capable of doing color.

I'm asking because I just bought a 77mm Hoya R72. Unfortunately, I made errors on my first try, mainly, I didn't set a custom white balance, I used a Tokina 12-24mm (two of my lenses are bad for IR work!) and foliage aren't green yet.

I would've waited until the leaves and grass are back and try to experiment myself but that would mean, my return period at B&H will expire. I need to know if my setup can work, or else, I'll have another unwise investment in my hands.

Thank you.

Brian

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Sorry for the newbie question but I did try searching. According to the sticky, the Nikon D50 is capable of IR but it didn't say if it is capable of doing color.

I'm asking because I just bought a 77mm Hoya R72. Unfortunately, I made errors on my first try, mainly, I didn't set a custom white balance, I used a Tokina 12-24mm (two of my lenses are bad for IR work!) and foliage aren't green yet.

I would've waited until the leaves and grass are back and try to experiment myself but that would mean, my return period at B&H will expire. I need to know if my setup can work, or else, I'll have another unwise investment in my hands.

Thank you.

Brian
Yes, D50 is capable of doing Coloured IR. In fact, it really depends mainly on the IR filter. Hoya R72 do permit Coloured IR as it allow some visible light to pass through as compared to Lee #87 which can only do BnW.

The out of cam colour will be in Sepia like colour and the rest are up to your Post-processing workflow.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
Check the IR-camera list next time!

=) D50 definitely can, based on what the IR regulars say. D80 then got problem.

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Thank you Francis247! You answered my question.

night86mare, I DID check the list. I am fully aware that the D50 is IR capable but my question was, if it can do COLOR IR. The D50 in the list didn't have the (colour) listed so I wasn't sure if it was.

It's clarified now, thank you for your reply.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
I have updated the D50 with Colour in the Cameras Capable of IR Sticky.

StanGetz

Mar 29, 2005
stangetz82.multiply.com

Thank you.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Im using a D50 with Hoya R72 filter ever since i started shooting IR. So, it should not be a problem for u too! Juz that...some lenses tend to have 'hotspot' in the center of the photo. Tokina 12-24 is one of them...cos i had that......:(

anyway, hope to see u in upcoming IR outings.

-stan

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Thank you teerex. I grew concerned when I though the IR capability of the D50 was limited.

Now I'm wondering if the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 is good or bad for IR work. It's not on the list but if I do try it out this week, I'll let you guy know if it creates a hot spot or not.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
Thank you teerex. I grew concerned when I though the IR capability of the D50 was limited.

Now I'm wondering if the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 is good or bad for IR work. It's not on the list but if I do try it out this week, I'll let you guy know if it creates a hot spot or not.
Do test and let us know so that I can update the Sticky also.

Thanks.

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
I will do just that teerex... I just hope the weather improves.. It's supposed to be cloudy (with occasional rain) until next week.

StanGetz, two of my lenses are also on the bad list... The Tokina 12-24mm you mentioned and the Tamron 70-30mm! How unlucky can I get! Oh and I also have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 which although not mentioned on this list, was voted bad too somewhere (I forgot where). However, I will test that as well as with the Tamron 28-75mm.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
I will do just that teerex... I just hope the weather improves.. It's supposed to be cloudy (with occasional rain) until next week.

StanGetz, two of my lenses are also on the bad list... The Tokina 12-24mm you mentioned and the Tamron 70-30mm! How unlucky can I get! Oh and I also have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 which although not mentioned on this list, was voted bad too somewhere (I forgot where). However, I will test that as well as with the Tamron 28-75mm.
Sun is still out, just avoid the afternoons. :thumbsup:

About 2-4 is the period when it's been raining these past few days. Sometimes 5. But slight drizzle only, for short periods. Just take cover and continue shooting when it's over! :bsmilie:

Hot spots can be minimized with larger apertures, I think. At least from my experience with H2. But of course at the expense of DOF.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
As IR works best for landscape shots, my opinion is best lens for Nikon DSLR user for IR is the 18-70 D70 Kit Lens. Guarantee no hot spots, wide enough for most situations. If you want wider go for the Tokina 10-17 ATX, no hot spots also.

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Okay, this is the worst IR shot ever (lol!). I didn't have time but I needed to test the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 before it rains again. NO processing.

I got out, did a WB on the grass, took the shot then came back in. We were on our way somewhere so this was the best I can do at that time. My only aim is to look for hotspots and guess what... HOT SPOT! Ugh!

I was at f/5.6. I haven't tested larger apertures. This was shot handheld. Sun came out briefly. We had flurries in the afternoon when I got back. No time to test again.

I'll do better next week.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
Yeah, very obvious hotspots, hehehe. :bsmilie: Looks even worse than what I get on my H2.

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Confirmed... 4 of my lenses are bad for IR. Only the kit Nikon 18-55mm remains! Doh!

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
Have you tried covering the viewfinder during the shot? It might help a bit.
Hmm, let me try that out. I can't remember if I had my eye on the viewfinder (even though I can't see anything. lol!) but most probably not. I can't wait to try tomorrow. :D

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hmm, let me try that out. I can't remember if I had my eye on the viewfinder (even though I can't see anything. lol!) but most probably not. I can't wait to try tomorrow. :D
What mode are you shooting in? A mode or M mode?
If you shooting in A Mode, Covering the viewfinder will reduce the stray light from entering through the viewfinder and confuse the metering sensor.

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
BTW, what did you used to set your WB?
Did you try using a batch of green grass to set your WB because it still looks a bit reddish.
The out of camera colour should be with a Sepia tint like this.

Hope that it helps. :)

psilver

Apr 4, 2007
I'm shooting with aperture mode set at f/5.6. I hastily did a pre WB on the grass but like I've said, foliage isn't full bloom yet because of this wretched weather. I took a shot but I don't remember if I had my eye on the eyepiece or not.

That sepia tint with dual colors is what I'm after!

Thank you for the tips!

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
I'm shooting with aperture mode set at f/5.6. I hastily did a pre WB on the grass but like I've said, foliage isn't full bloom yet because of this wretched weather. I took a shot but I don't remember if I had my eye on the eyepiece or not.

That sepia tint with dual colors is what I'm after!

Thank you for the tips!
Foliage isn't full bloom yet? 0.o

You WB with grass with the filter on, y'know.. :bsmilie: I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.