Nikon D50 as a pressie...so where do i go from here?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look-Fast

Apr 9, 2006
hi .. i've just received a D50 for my birthday and although i've read reviews on it, the manuals, i still haven't exactly gotten around..er.. the actual using of the camera..

so far i'm using mainly just the auto functions :embrass:

i've signed up for the HOW to use a D50...but apart from waiting for that day,
and looking at all the fab pix u guys are posting...

can anyone tell me WHERE TO START?!!:sweat:

Look-Fast said:
hi .. i've just received a D50 for my birthday and although i've read reviews on it, the manuals, i still haven't exactly gotten around..er.. the actual using of the camera..

Maybe just try shooting with autofocus mode 1st and read 1 or 2 books from the library on basic photography. That ought to be some form of direction you can take for starters.

Practise practise practise as what I say in scale modeling. Applies to photography too.

WHY NOBODY BUY ME D2X AS PRESENT??????? :cry: :cry:

Just shoot more, since it's digital trial and error more.

espn said:
WHY NOBODY BUY ME D2X AS PRESENT??????? :cry: :cry:

Just shoot more, since it's digital trial and error more.

coz u already have 1? hahaha

wonderful prezzie u got there....have fun wif it man....juz go on a walkabout with it and try out everything...u can always check back on the exif data after that if u forgot wat exactly did u do to achieve tt shot...

never been on slr before? try out some of the books in the library...they should increase your understanding on this..

cheers

Look-Fast said:

lucky u! i'm still saving up for my D50!

where to start?
1. take lots of photos
2. enjoy taking lots of photos
3. take even more photos
4. of everything that interests u!
5. select the ones that u like most and showcase them in an online gallery.
6. repeat steps 1 to 5!

woah! what a wonderful gift.

learn the basics and do what zaren has said. and also read up some info (on the net/book/anywhere) on dslr/equipments and how to take good pictures. it will gradually help in the photos you take.

Look-Fast said:

Switch to manual mode.. vary the shutter speed, the aperture and ISO and see what you get.. Since it's digital, the shots are free. One you've mastered that, then you would probably understand exposure and you can proceed to other things such as flash, white balance etc..

thank you all: G-man, espn, Witness, zaren, elfvin, Isisaxon, for the encouragement..

i don't know why but just liked the d50 (for a long while now) even tho' i hv no clue abot taking proper pix ... just like taking pix on holiday trips etc..

will read up and (hopefully with guts) post in some of 'em soon...
(actually still finding my way out in CS..)
many thanks again!

*absolute newbie*
==

Well, first of all, READ THE MANUAL over and over again. Very important. I noticed lotsa ppl dun like to read manuals and ended up asking simple questions like, "How to set to spot metering in my EOS 350D?" when spot metering is not available on the 350D if the fella bothered to read the manual in the first place.

Next, understand the basic terms and concepts that will come across in the manual. Things like Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Metering, Exposure. There's nothing worse den to read a manual and come out half-baked. Relate these terms and think abt how one affects the other. Like for example, shooting at a wide aperture, maximum ISO ur camera can handle, is the shutter speed going to fast or slow? things like dat. :)

After dat, when u gained all these, put it all to the test by going for shoots and stuff like dat. Practice, practice, practice. Probably start with still life like landscapes or scale models. Den move onto faster and faster subjects.

Oh BTW, if u're thinking of travelling overseas with ur camera, do make sure u're thoroughly familiar with it since travel photography is a test of all ur skills ranging from landscape, portraits, macro, etc to produce out-of-the-world photos. :)

The last thing which nobody wants I guess would be to spend a couple of thousand bucks overseas and come back with photos that can't see faces (beautiful silhouettes) or juz a single attempt shot at a babe u spotted down the street with ur telephoto and ended up in the dumps cos its too blurred to appreciate her beauty again in print or on the screen (shooting nature like birds gives u an edge in using the full power of telephotos though). :sweat:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

thanks jsbn

i've prob gone thru the manual twice over..
(but the terms still sound scary now..i'll master it soon...)

most of the time i take frens/family in the pix with some scenery behind..
i'll try and make sure i get SOMETHING sharp in the shots.. (not nec a babe though..:D )

btw, do you guys think it's too soon to be thinking of getting some dry cabinet for my cameras? (i've got a nikon 5700 digital cam too and no proper storage )... ? :dunno:

Look-Fast said:
thank you all: G-man, espn, Witness, zaren, elfvin, Isisaxon, for the encouragement..

i don't know why but just liked the d50 (for a long while now) even tho' i hv no clue abot taking proper pix ... just like taking pix on holiday trips etc..

will read up and (hopefully with guts) post in some of 'em soon...
(actually still finding my way out in CS..)
many thanks again!

*absolute newbie*
==

why not start A Photo A Day? join in the fun! :D

Look-Fast said:
btw, do you guys think it's too soon to be thinking of getting some dry cabinet for my cameras? (i've got a nikon 5700 digital cam too and no proper storage )... ? :dunno:

Dat shud b e 1st on ur wat to buy next list!

Look-Fast said:

:

Congrat on your new toy... me just got mine too...but have to tighten belt and save..:( btw, where did you sign up the "HOW to use a D50..." is it the one at Nikon website...the D70s, D70, D50 Workshop conducted by Steven...me thinking of joining also, if the timing is right.

Look-Fast said:
thanks jsbn

i've prob gone thru the manual twice over..
(but the terms still sound scary now..i'll master it soon...)
Basically its always the same old few that sound extremely intimidating - Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, Metering. Learn what is each about first, den draw a relationship to each other and how one will affect another.

Flash take ur time to learn, no rush. I can say even after 2yrs, I haven't mastered the use of flash yet oso.

Also basic handheld techniques too. Dun forget it. :)

most of the time i take frens/family in the pix with some scenery behind..
i'll try and make sure i get SOMETHING sharp in the shots.. (not nec a babe though..:D )
Hmm... U can make use of the opportunity to learn abt composition and rule of thirds as well.

As for sharpness, it depends very much on ur handheld techniques. Fancy stuff like Image Stablisers serves to complement a good handheld technique and not a replacement. :)

Its never too soon to buy a dry cabinet or dry box. I'm not very sure, but check out Consumer's Corner. I think Skyestang got some lobangs on Dry Cabinets. Check to double confirm.

steve75 said:
Congrat on your new toy... me just got mine too...but have to tighten belt and save..:( btw, where did you sign up the "HOW to use a D50..." is it the one at Nikon website...the D70s, D70, D50 Workshop conducted by Steven...me thinking of joining also, if the timing is right.

thanks! congrats on your's too!
the course ... it's on april 23 sunday from 2-5pm..
join me la!

i mailed them, details below:

The Photographic Society of Singapore
30, Selegie Road, Selegie Arts Centre
Singapore 180030
Tel : 63343361 Fax : 63344657
web: www.pss1950.org
email: pss1950@singnet.com.sg

Operating Hours:
Mon - Fri (2.00pm - 10.00pm)
Sat & Sun (12.00pm - 6.00pm)

zaren said:
why not start A Photo A Day? join in the fun! :D

i know! i keep looking thru that section
and the beautiful shots posted in there,
i'm abit shy to start... :sweat:

Look-Fast said:
thanks! congrats on your's too!
the course ... it's on april 23 sunday from 2-5pm..
join me la!

i mailed them, details below:

The Photographic Society of Singapore
30, Selegie Road, Selegie Arts Centre
Singapore 180030
Tel : 63343361 Fax : 63344657
web: www.pss1950.org
email: pss1950@singnet.com.sg

Operating Hours:
Mon - Fri (2.00pm - 10.00pm)
Sat & Sun (12.00pm - 6.00pm)

Ok, thanks