Nikon D4s thread - King of Speed has Reborn

Another video for Nikon D4s shutter at 11 fps.

Nikon D4s is the real KING OF SPEED !!

[video=youtube;3xIxPF59qis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIxPF59qis[/video]​

Isn't the 1DX capable of 12 fps?

A quick teaser.

Straight out of camera JPEG. D4s with Nikon 400/2.8 1/8000 s F3.5 ISO 12800
12767848745_614925b64a_b.jpg

Download fullsize JPEG here: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/12767848745_b14b3318d9_o.jpg

This is nice! Just registered interest at CP.... hope they will call me soon. :)

They both have the same sneaky way to get it shoot that way. You have to shoot in Jpeg not in RAW which is a larger file size which I think the cameras (both brands) will need time to process. Like the D4, I can press down the trigger and it will bve about 100+ frames before the internatl buffer rans out but I think for the high speed shutter to work some of the processing power comes into play thus they are not just flipping to keep the shutter up to shorten the shutter movement down but some other stuff is happening also.

But officially Canon did knocks out Nikon as the faster thus far ( it pains me to say this being a Nikon shooter 99.9 of the time) but really in the real world how many would press to whack out 11 to 14 frames per second most of the time? Once the lighting is not that good or the ISO can't be push any higher to get your shutter speed up... how do you even get the chance to whack 10 frames left alone another 1 more frame or two. Also pushing the ISO to the new level of what was it? 400,000+ ? ...to get that one crucial shot in near darkness at the cost of a really poor quantity looking photo quality. Just my view lah... if you had use something like the D4 or D800...any of those higher improve ISO cameras... that one extra one makes very little attraction. I think we are or at least me, pretty damn happy with what we could do already. But for those coming from the lower end or older DSLRs with the more restricted ISO yeilding better quality photos...it looks like a super great feature to see improved upon the D4. But I suspect it is only a matter of a year or less that most of what DSLR that are coming out will have what the D4 series have ..maybe just minus some so-called Pro functions..etc.

That is not to say this new D4s is not a great camera but like myself, a serious hobbist who shoots for work once in a while till what I am now using I can only see myself maybe upgrading if there was a D5 with a lot more landmark advancement thrown in. the D4 is already "alot of camera" for my use. But for those who want to move up to a D4 range from say the D3 series or other semi pro DSLRs, the D4s is the only choice for you... abeit once the market has sold off all the D4 or they looking for buy a second hand one.

The only real thing that can still be improved on the new DSLR I feel will be video functionality. ISO, Megapixel and possibly photo quality..these are all about reaching a point where very little more can be done as a selling point to get people to buy a new camera. The next battle grond I feel is in video. Which is another one more reason for me to stick with the D4 LOL.

Ya I hated that half this and half that memory module for the D4. But I learn to live with it over time with enough of both cards. I was really thinking the D4s when the rumours started flying... that the D4 will be back to an all CF card camera or maybe the SD will take over. But when I hear it is carrying on the same memory arrangement... I could not help by laugh and as more details came to light... half way thru reading them, I already was certain I am keeping the D4. I have no problem with 12,800 for my shots when I have no choice (setting that in AUTO ISO mode as a fail safe). 25,600 was still okay for non pro use but even then I would rather try to keep it to under ISO 5000 for the better grain. That's just me. That is already ALOT of ISO prowess for any shooter to play with. Since the D4, I felt kinda sad for my Manfrotto CF tripod... as more then half the time shooting in the night, I would handhold instead of mounting to the tripod. That is how good the ISO in the D4 has gotten. Right now just that little bit more.. it is great but not a game changer. For me anyway.

BTW since the firmware update for the D4... the image quality and whitebalance has improved alot making it more reason to stay put for now even with the new sensor out.

Last edited:
Skipped the D4 thought D4s will remove the XQD. But no luck. So my thought is since now I'm using D800 with Raw in CF and backup JPG in SD, why not set the D4s in CF in Raw and backup JPG in XQD? just treat XQD as SD card. should be all fine..

Ya I hated that half this and half that memory module for the D4. But I learn to live with it over time with enough of both cards. I was really thinking the D4s when the rumours started flying... that the D4 will be back to an all CF card camera or maybe the SD will take over. But when I hear it is carrying on the same memory arrangement... I could not help by laugh and as more details came to light... half way thru reading them, I already was certain I am keeping the D4. I have no problem with 12,800 for my shots when I have no choice (setting that in AUTO ISO mode as a fail safe). 25,600 was still okay for non pro use but even then I would rather try to keep it to under ISO 5000 for the better grain. That's just me. That is already ALOT of ISO prowess for any shooter to play with. Since the D4, I felt kinda sad for my Manfrotto CF tripod... as more then half the time shooting in the night, I would handhold instead of mounting to the tripod. That is how good the ISO in the D4 has gotten. Right now just that little bit more.. it is great but not a game changer. For me anyway.

BTW since the firmware update for the D4... the image quality and whitebalance has improved alot making it more reason to stay put for now even with the new sensor out.

At the end of the day, the d4s is still a better camera than d4 from any angle of comparison. Whether it is a good upgrade from D3/D3s/D4 to D4s, it is up to individual preference.

And xqd? Using it and loving it. So much faster than CF and much more reliable too.

I think the Nikon D4s is a worthy upgrade. I can understand why the XQD card format system is still debatable, but the improvement on the sensor is pretty good!

At the end of the day, the d4s is still a better camera than d4 from any angle of comparison. Whether it is a good upgrade from D3/D3s/D4 to D4s, it is up to individual preference.

And xqd? Using it and loving it. So much faster than CF and much more reliable too.

how and why so ??

Have been using CF Cards since they hit market place at a whopping 4MB's.... never had a failure.

how and why so ??

Have been using CF Cards since they hit market place at a whopping 4MB's.... never had a failure.

More than once you can see people send camera in to repair due to CF card error. The pins are quite thin. I have it happen to me once on an old camera. one of the pins bent. Would be a pain if it happened on assignment. And if you ever hold a XQD card, you will also realize it is smaller but built tougher. And every XQD card is weather resistant, with wide operating temperature range. For CF, you need to get the Extreme or Extreme Pro to get that kind of operating conditions.

Any idea when we will start seeing a price drop for the other cameras? Thinking of getting a D610 or D800 to replace my D90

Any idea when we will start seeing a price drop for the other cameras? Thinking of getting a D610 or D800 to replace my D90

Prices have already plunged in the USA and in HK. You may wish to consider getting the camera there. Please note the warranty issues involved.

Skipped the D4 thought D4s will remove the XQD. But no luck. So my thought is since now I'm using D800 with Raw in CF and backup JPG in SD, why not set the D4s in CF in Raw and backup JPG in XQD? just treat XQD as SD card. should be all fine..

It lies with the issue that XQD is not that affordable, even for hardcore shooters like myself, I only have 3 XQDs and can't bear to splurge more because we don't know where the memory format will take off, or die.

I'm fine with both storages, the XQD is pretty nifty, just that it's quite 'proprietary' in a way.

For the D4S, as my concern is lowlight, that extra push in 12,800->25,600 isn't that much of a lure. The images have been severely NR'd in the process, it almost looks like Canon's output whereby the details have been harshly sacrificed, I'm guess this is a trade off.

It will really need to take more than just a new sensor to push the D4 folks to D4S. Myself? I'm very happy with the D4, I don't foresee myself changing it anytime soon until I can no longer use it.

D4 to D4S is like buying a 1.6 Civic, then you take a look at the 1.8 Civic and you tell yourself, worth the upgrade?

D3S > D4S, hmm even so, I doubt many will jump. My irk with D2X was the ISO, and the buffer. D4 satisfied me fully with a large NEF buffer and high ISO.

Given that I'll lose probably 3K (depreciation) and topup another 2K for the 4S, I'd rather take that 5K and go holiday...

ROI is excruciatingly slow on a D4, buy/sell a D4S, the ROI is even more painful. The D600 has a faster ROI rate.

More than once you can see people send camera in to repair due to CF card error. The pins are quite thin. I have it happen to me once on an old camera. one of the pins bent. Would be a pain if it happened on assignment. And if you ever hold a XQD card, you will also realize it is smaller but built tougher. And every XQD card is weather resistant, with wide operating temperature range. For CF, you need to get the Extreme or Extreme Pro to get that kind of operating conditions.

Actually, I like CF card size, old man like me sometimes can't even see the SD card on the table. Haha.

Yes, the pin bent issue happened on a $5 card reader, the card reader got bent. Dumped it. Abused the D4 quite a fair bit, have no issues with the pins.

The XQD is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast though... just that now even the N-series are at USD200+ for 32GB, if the price comes down, can order 1-2 pieces more. Even SD cards rose in price on Amazon. Got it at USD27 earlier. Dang, should have ordered more.

Actually, I like CF card size, old man like me sometimes can't even see the SD card on the table. Haha.

Yes, the pin bent issue happened on a $5 card reader, the card reader got bent. Dumped it. Abused the D4 quite a fair bit, have no issues with the pins.

The XQD is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast though... just that now even the N-series are at USD200+ for 32GB, if the price comes down, can order 1-2 pieces more. Even SD cards rose in price on Amazon. Got it at USD27 earlier. Dang, should have ordered more.

Actually the N series 32GB are $99 USD a piece. I just got one more. The S-series 32GB is at $199 USD.
H-series seems to be discontinued.

Actually the N series 32GB are $99 USD a piece. I just got one more. The S-series 32GB is at $199 USD.
H-series seems to be discontinued.

Checked regularly, the N-Series are at $199. Unless I've once again been c**k-eyed. :|

The H-series has been d/c for sure.

Checked regularly, the N-Series are at $199. Unless I've once again been c**k-eyed. :|

The H-series has been d/c for sure.

I have been checking constantly too... 32GB N series is $99.95. Check adorama and b&h. I just got mine from adorama last month. The reciept and my wallet says $99.95 too... The 64GB N series and 32GB S series are going for $199.95.

Here is the link btw..
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007049-REG/sony_qdn32_t_32_gb_xqd_card_125.html

Last edited:
Street price with local warranty SGD7k plus. Grey import / shop warranty is about SGD 6.5k.

There are a quite a number of used units listed on the Nikon B&S section. Go & check it out.