Nikon D40x or Nikon D60? Advice needed

autumnbrazzer

Jan 2, 2011
Both 2nd hand priced are similar and which give the edge in taking pictures at night?

Frankly, if you are not sunk into Nikon lenses, a Pentax Kx (~$5xx) or Kr (~$69x) new will give you much better high ISO performance.

Of course they are cheaper if you can find 2nd hand.

Both 2nd hand priced are similar and which give the edge in taking pictures at night?
if you're trying to 'magically' take night sceneries handheld with a DSLR, I would say that neither will outshine the other :)

As a Nikon user, I do have to agree with pinholecam that the Pentax cameras offer incredible 'bang for your buck'. I would assume that D40x and D60 are both < $500 2nd hand, but then the Pentax K-x and K-r are both much newer... :)
I suppose in the electronic age, newer tends to be better most of the time :)

Neither will. They are both old technology, based on the same old sensor.

For night shots with a tripod and low ISO, you can't tell the difference. For handheld shots with high ISO, a body using the newer Sony sensor (A55, A580, Nikon D7000, Pentax k-r) are better.

Thanks alot! The pictures on your thread were awesome with such a simple setup. Looks like im heading for a D3100 since there is video mode too which made be useful for family trips. May i know what the market price for it brand new?

Last edited:
Thanks alot! The pictures on your thread were awesome with such a simple setup. Looks like im heading for a D3100 since there is video mode too which made be useful for family trips. May i know what the market price for it?

1. You do know the video is manual focus, right? For DSLR cameras that can do fast AF in video mode you'll need to look elsewhere.
2. As stated, look in the priceguides section.

I tried finding in the Nikon price guide 2009 - 2010 and does not have Nikon D3100. Maybe u could give me a link?

I tried finding in the Nikon price guide 2009 - 2010 and does not have Nikon D3100. Maybe u could give me a link?

Use the priceguides as a resource. You can use them to get the phone numbers of the recommended shops and call them up.

Or, you could just do a search on CS for D3100 and look for posts where the price and shop were mentioned.

Simple really. Just a bit of doing some of your own footwork.