Nikon D40x or Canon 400D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell

Jun 18, 2007
Tampines
Hi All, am new to photography. Was thinking of getting a DSLR. Was wondering which will be a better choice, Nikon D40x or Canon 400D?

If i get Canon 400D, will get the promo of purchase-with-purchase EF 55-200 II USM lens as well.

Can advice?

you like which one, you buy which one. it doesn't matter. since you dun have any existing setups.

Hi All, am new to photography. Was thinking of getting a DSLR. Was wondering which will be a better choice, Nikon D40x or Canon 400D?

If i get Canon 400D, will get the promo of purchase-with-purchase EF 55-200 II USM lens as well.

Can advice?

Nikon D40x: Can auto focus only with AF-S and AF-I lenses. Translation: If you intend to let the camera do the focusing, there's not that many lenses that can auto focus with the D40x.

Canon 400D: Can use all EF, EF-S lenses, and many 3rd party ones too.

If going for the Nikon, I'd advise the D80.

Hi Darrell,

Just sharing some of my thought here. I have problem buying a sets of dSLR few month ago. Just like you now. Guess you have been reading all the review and website for both of the cameras? Right? In term of price and value both cameras are very good sets for beginner. Cause, i am a newbie myself. :bsmilie: Two of your choose Nikon and Canon. You will never go wrong with this two big brand. Not saying that other brand are not as great. Just my opinion. Both cameras have very good review and much more affordable them before. :thumbsup: Now you left with handling. Go down to any camera shop try holding both cameras see which ones you like holding it more and work on your budget as well. I do not want to start any Nikon and Canon war here. :sweat: Like Member (jamestan) has say. Canon do have more choice in lenses compare to Nikon. What i did i bought a brand new Canon 400d body and bought two used lenses in CS/Marketplace a 18-55mm (Kit lense) and 50mm f/1.8. You can check it out and compare before you buy any lenses or check Member (zoossh) thread/Sticky on the DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List is very useful! Good luck and hope my post is helpful to you. Cheers! :bsmilie:

Can advice?

EF 55-200 II is only worth getting at around 200 (second hand). If you are interested in mid-low priced zooms, better get D40(not the x) kit and the 55-200VR.

Hi Darrell,

Just sharing some of my thought here. I have problem buying a sets of dSLR few month ago. Just like you now. Guess you have been reading all the review and website for both of the cameras? Right? In term of price and value both cameras are very good sets for beginner. Cause, i am a newbie myself. :bsmilie: Two of your choose Nikon and Canon. You will never go wrong with this two big brand. Not saying that other brand are not as great. Just my opinion. Both cameras have very good review and much more affordable them before. :thumbsup: Now you left with handling. Go down to any camera shop try holding both cameras see which ones you like holding it more and work on your budget as well. I do not want to start any Nikon and Canon war here. :sweat: Like Member (jamestan) has say. Canon do have more choice in lenses compare to Nikon. What i did i bought a brand new Canon 400d body and bought two used lenses in CS/Marketplace a 18-55mm (Kit lense) and 50mm f/1.8. You can check it out and compare before you buy any lenses or check Member (zoossh) thread/Sticky on the DSLR newbie guide + Product/Price/Outlet List is very useful! Good luck and hope my post is helpful to you. Cheers! :bsmilie:

Thanks for the advice... Will feel both the camera then decide. Also will read up on mention links. Thanks again... :)

EF 55-200 II is only worth getting at around 200 (second hand). If you are interested in mid-low priced zooms, better get D40(not the x) kit and the 55-200VR.

Oh, the Canon Promo now offer EF 55-200 II (Purchase with purchase) for $288 i last check...
Thanks for the advice. Will think abt it.

If you get the 400D and can afford it. I would look at just getting the body and purchase a 50mm f1.8 and a mid-range zoom. The kit lens is the weak link in the entry-level Canon system.

Hi Darrell, few weeks back, i also posted the same question. i was deciding between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D. And to add complications to the matter, i was also looking at Olympus E510.

This post is rather lengthy. If you just want conclusion, scroll down to the bottom. :bsmilie:

The idea of getting E510 quickly dies off after some considerations. There are several advantages of the Oly E510 which i thought it would be good to have:- the SSWF for dust reduction and the built-in Image Stablizer. I'm only a starter in slr. So, i wouldn't really tell how good the camera is by just looking at it and taking a few shots from it. Most of my decision making factors came from the reviews that I read online. The Oly E510 is relatively new in the market, so there isn't much reviews on this camera. So, i decided to take this out from the list.

Next, back to D40x versus 400D. Both are good cameras for starters like me. Initially, i was more biased towards getting Nikon, because my brother also owns a Nikon system. Thought that we could save some money on lens and other accessories if I bought a Nikon too.

I went to one of the more popular shops listed in this forum (I shall not mention which). Asked to see the 3 cameras :- Oly E510, Nikon D40x and Canon 400D. This shop told me that there have E510 in stock, but do not have the display set. So, the sales person gave me a E410 instead. He told me that the body is exactly the same as E510. Only difference is the built-in image stabilizer. I wasnt really sure during that time. When I felt the E410, i didnt really like the grip. So, that also made me decide not to consider E510. (by the way, E510 and E410 have totally different bodies. their grip are so different!)

When I asked for the other cameras to compare side-by-side, apparently, the salesperson acted blur and kept the Oly. Didnt have a chance for me to compare all 3 cameras side by side. Anyway, I like the grip of both D40x and 400D. Personally, i didnt quite like this shop. The sales person didnt really want to explain to me the differences in the models. Just said "see what you want lor". He was even making fun of my friend who accompanied me to the shop. The saleperson thought that I didnt understood what he was talking with his colleague. They were joking about the singlet that my friend wore. i told myself never to go back to the shop again.

Anyway, forget abt this shop. If you really want to see and feel these cameras, without anyone disturbing you, you can go to the new Courts at Tampines (next to Ikea). They have all of the above cameras on display. Free for customers to try out. Salesman hardly come and disturb... :thumbsup: . But price wise may be a bit on the high side. They have the Olympus E510 on display too. The grip is also excellent. Very different from the E410.

Conclusion:
Now, i spent about 40 minutes at Courts Tampines to feel and try out the D40x and 400D. Both felt good in my hands. Grips were excellent. Finally, i found the tie-breaker between the two cameras. I noticed that for the D40x, if you need to change settings like ISO, White Balance, AF mode, you need to go into the menu and find the functions you need. In the 400D, there are actually buttons on the body which you can access easily. I find it a lot more convenient to have these buttons easily accessible. Finding them in the menu will definitely take up more time. I realised that higher end Nikon dslr (like the D80), have the buttons easily accessible on the body. But the D40x does not. You'll need to scroll thru the menu to reach those functions. Actually, at the point, i wasn't sure if it is really so. I asked one of the salesperson at Courts. He told me that it is true.

So, this became the critical factor that made me chose the Canon 400D over Nikon.

By the way, i didnt get the camera from Courts. I bought it from John 3:16. I think their price is still reasonable. Shall not mention too much on them too..

Hope this help in your decision making. Good Luck!

(Note: All these are my personal opnion. I may be wrong in what I said above and I do not mean to say which camera is more superior than the other. The factors mentioned above are important to me, but may not be important to other people. Everyone is free to choose what they like. I have my own critiria for camera selection, others also have their own criteria. I've made my choice. It is your choice now.):sweatsm:

Hi Darrell, few weeks back, i also posted the same question. i was deciding between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D. And to add complications to the matter, i was also looking at Olympus E510.

This post is rather lengthy. If you just want conclusion, scroll down to the bottom. :bsmilie:

The idea of getting E510 quickly dies off after some considerations. There are several advantages of the Oly E510 which i thought it would be good to have:- the SSWF for dust reduction and the built-in Image Stablizer. I'm only a starter in slr. So, i wouldn't really tell how good the camera is by just looking at it and taking a few shots from it. Most of my decision making factors came from the reviews that I read online. The Oly E510 is relatively new in the market, so there isn't much reviews on this camera. So, i decided to take this out from the list.

Next, back to D40x versus 400D. Both are good cameras for starters like me. Initially, i was more biased towards getting Nikon, because my brother also owns a Nikon system. Thought that we could save some money on lens and other accessories if I bought a Nikon too.

I went to one of the more popular shops listed in this forum (I shall not mention which). Asked to see the 3 cameras :- Oly E510, Nikon D40x and Canon 400D. This shop told me that there have E510 in stock, but do not have the display set. So, the sales person gave me a E410 instead. He told me that the body is exactly the same as E510. Only difference is the built-in image stabilizer. I wasnt really sure during that time. When I felt the E410, i didnt really like the grip. So, that also made me decide not to consider E510. (by the way, E510 and E410 have totally different bodies. their grip are so different!)

When I asked for the other cameras to compare side-by-side, apparently, the salesperson acted blur and kept the Oly. Didnt have a chance for me to compare all 3 cameras side by side. Anyway, I like the grip of both D40x and 400D. Personally, i didnt quite like this shop. The sales person didnt really want to explain to me the differences in the models. Just said "see what you want lor". He was even making fun of my friend who accompanied me to the shop. The saleperson thought that I didnt understood what he was talking with his colleague. They were joking about the singlet that my friend wore. i told myself never to go back to the shop again.

Anyway, forget abt this shop. If you really want to see and feel these cameras, without anyone disturbing you, you can go to the new Courts at Tampines (next to Ikea). They have all of the above cameras on display. Free for customers to try out. Salesman hardly come and disturb... :thumbsup: . But price wise may be a bit on the high side. They have the Olympus E510 on display too. The grip is also excellent. Very different from the E410.

Conclusion:
Now, i spent about 40 minutes at Courts Tampines to feel and try out the D40x and 400D. Both felt good in my hands. Grips were excellent. Finally, i found the tie-breaker between the two cameras. I noticed that for the D40x, if you need to change settings like ISO, White Balance, AF mode, you need to go into the menu and find the functions you need. In the 400D, there are actually buttons on the body which you can access easily. I find it a lot more convenient to have these buttons easily accessible. Finding them in the menu will definitely take up more time. I realised that higher end Nikon dslr (like the D80), have the buttons easily accessible on the body. But the D40x does not. You'll need to scroll thru the menu to reach those functions. Actually, at the point, i wasn't sure if it is really so. I asked one of the salesperson at Courts. He told me that it is true.

So, this became the critical factor that made me chose the Canon 400D over Nikon.

By the way, i didnt get the camera from Courts. I bought it from John 3:16. I think their price is still reasonable. Shall not mention too much on them too..

Hope this help in your decision making. Good Luck!

(Note: All these are my personal opnion. I may be wrong in what I said above and I do not mean to say which camera is more superior than the other. The factors mentioned above are important to me, but may not be important to other people. Everyone is free to choose what they like. I have my own critiria for camera selection, others also have their own criteria. I've made my choice. It is your choice now.):sweatsm:

Wow... Thanks for your time to share valuable experience with me. :)
Actually i kinda made up my mind on getting Canon 400D. Especially you sharing with me the differences of the 2. :thumbsup:
Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.