Nikon D40 with 18-200mm/18-250mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyGlass

Jan 21, 2008
CCK
hi guys,

not sure if this has been discussed but im a d40 user and i am looking to get a walk about lens.

current set up is the kit lens and 55-200mm - enough said as i already experience the limitations of the "quick switch"

so it boils down to the tamron/sigma 18-250mm dc os or the nikkor 18-200mm.

prices not really much difference i think (2nd hand?) so i like to hear from the ground users before pounching on the lens..

yes i hear the nikon d40 is a beginner camera and not worth it to match up with these type of lens. Thing is im not afraid because i can use the lens for future camera bodies and i'll ultimately need a walkabout lens anyway

Thanks for browsing!

Last edited:
hi guys,

not sure if this has been discussed but im a d40 user and i am looking to get a walk about lens.

current set up is the kit lens and 55-200mm - enough said as i already experience the limitations of the "quick switch"

so it boils down to the tamron/sigma 18-250mm dc os or the nikkor 18-200mm.

prices not really much difference i think (2nd hand?) so i like to hear from the ground users before pounching on the lens..

yes i hear the nikon d40 is a beginner camera and not worth it to match up with these type of lens. Thing is im not afraid because i can use the lens for future camera bodies and i'll ultimately need a walkabout lens anyway

Thanks for browsing!

18-200 price is quite steep.
Do you often shoot at 200mm with your 55-200 lens? What is the most commonly used focal length for this lens? Review your shots and look closely at the EXIF information.

18-200mm for the nikkor is steep..for the sigma it's unbelievable.

but the thing is i'm picky and very inconsistent with what i shoot. Yes sometimes long shots at birds nesting, sometimes children playing or at family gatherings.

i prefer not to be cast into a category since my interest is general photography.

Hi read up on dpreview.com they have comprehensive reviews of most lenses.

my advice is for you to try the sigma first if you are keen on getting it... i was about to buy it 2wks ago, when i mounted a new piece on my D5K, it can't focus! yes you read it right, it can't focus, manually and automatically... there appeared on the screen is F--! i dunno what that means, but i've tried 2 copies... the salesman even mounted it on another D5K body... same thing happened... i got the tamron 18-270mm instead!

yeah i read about your issue..really sad..im sure you would have love to get it there and then...

anyway i think it works on older cam bodies like a d60 or d40..there are d60 users out there with it on and sure kicks a$$

Now thinking of getting it perhaps in taipei since the prices are cheaper there..any views or shops recommendation there?

Hi read up on dpreview.com they have comprehensive reviews of most lenses.

Nope, their lens reviews are quite lacking as they've only recently started. Photozone.de is much more comprehensive.

Nope, their lens reviews are quite lacking as they've only recently started. Photozone.de is much more comprehensive.

really? oops, my bad. i've only used their body reviews in hindsight. good point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.