Nikon d40 wireless remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

hushhourhash

Nov 26, 2008
Hi, this is my first time posting here, I'm a Nikon D40 user who is very happy with my simple entry level DSLR :) Have used it for several school events and it's fantastic for outdoor events but not so for indoors. Was hunting for a wireless remote for the D40 and went to Cathay Photo some time back but they were out of stock. Went elsewhere and the salesman quoted the price for the ML-L3 as $39.90! Was shocked as I had read on the Clubsnap forums that it should cost below $20. Anyway, so glad I didn't buy it then (was tempted to because I had been looking for it for some time and as luck would have it most of the shops I went to didn't have it in stock) because I finally got it at Cathay Photo a few days ago for $16! For newbies like me who are out hunting for accessories, do do some research first (ClubSNAP's a great place)!
Take care, everyone, and enjoy the holidays!

Hi ...
I am gonna get my 1st SLR and was looking for advice for the Nikon D40. How has it been sos far that you have been using it? is the 'live view' important and do you think that the current courts promo for D40 is ok? Does it really matter if this model is launched 2 years ago ?

Thanks

I got my D40 wireless remote at Nikon Centre for $15.

hey there, sorry to hijack.

just wanna ask if those 3rd party wireless remotes at dealextreme are reliable? i'd say tt the price is alluring enough for me to get 1. ;)

There is a mass order now on for the original Nikon remote. Just got one in the last mass order. Check it out.

:bsmilie: - it's common when it's out of stock.
high demand low stock = high price

it is up to individual shops, i bought one for $18.
The boss told me increase few dollars and I am ok with that.

Hi ...
I am gonna get my 1st SLR and was looking for advice for the Nikon D40. How has it been sos far that you have been using it? is the 'live view' important and do you think that the current courts promo for D40 is ok? Does it really matter if this model is launched 2 years ago ?

Thanks

Hi littlegoldfish, the D40 is great! Had it for about slightly less than a year (bought it at best Denki during the CNY promotion) and have no regrets. Of course, I'm quite new to photography so I may not be the best judge, but for someone who has only shot with compact cameras before, the quality and flexibility of the D40 (even though it's 'only' 6.1 MP) is a big jump. Took it along with me on some school trips and covered some school events and it was fantastic for outdoor shots. It's light, and is very fast to power on and focus. The 'low' megapixel count isn't really a problem...unless thinking of printing quite large. My dad got the Canon 1000D for a birthday present, and I somehow found the D40 more comfortable to use. This could be just bias on my part! :)

One concern though was the compatibility with older lenses, because it doesn't have an in built motor so lenses like the AF Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8D won't autofocus, and manual focus can be a bit difficult. I mention this because I was looking for cheaper additional lenses to start with and read on the forums that this lense was excellent value for money especially for macro and night shots. I knew the D40 couldn't have autofocus with this lens but I went for it anyway...no regrets, but I haven't really got the hang of the autofocus yet. This issue also concerns my next target for a value lens - the 85 mm f/1.8...

For a start, the D40 is an excellent choice, but now that the D60 is here...makes it a little harder to choose one for an entry-level DSLR...D60 has more megapixels, dust cleaning system (if I'm not wrong)...As for Live View, for me although I'm a newbie too, I kind of fell in love with using the viewfinder, and now I can't go back to using the 'live view' on any camera...wierd I know!

Hope the sharing helps, hope you find the best choice for yourself and start enjoying your camera soon!
~Hash

Last edited:
d40 users are very lucky in this respect :thumbsup:

my camera now dun have this feature. need to pay much more to get remote shutter release. :thumbsd:

the simple and cheap remote was just great! especially for bulb mode or taking group/couple photo on tripod. no more dashing to get into the pose after setting timer. the alternative is everyone smiling for 15 seconds wondering when the shutter goes off. repeat x 5 :bsmilie:

i used to own d40x. excellent camera for those who don't need the features it doesn't have

yeah! Get it before it's gone from the market! Then you'll only be left with 2nd hand ones.

Yes, do your research first... I bought mine for $16.

D40 is a great entry level DSLR. I have a D60 and its great too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.