Nikon D40 or Canon 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarokor

Jan 13, 2007
Hi, I'm newbie for DSLR (In fact I don't even started).
I'm looking for a DSLR camera but cannot decide which is suitable for newbie ?
My intention is looking for better pic. quality than normal compact camera (currently using Sony W1 :embrass: :embrass: ).
- for scenery,
- friends and family outing...etc

Need advises
- Can kindly advise what is the market rate for these 2 models ?
- It comes with what standard items ?
- Thing need to take note while using DSLR camera ?

Thank you ;p

My intention is looking for better pic. quality than normal compact camera (currently using Sony W1 :embrass: :embrass: ).
- for scenery,

Need advises

Thank you ;p

I'd reccomend the D40 for a travel camera. But if you want one for learning purposes, do see if you can get the D50 or the D80 (if you got extra cash)

For scenery, you'd be looking at small aperture performance and sharpness at wide angles.

For portraits, it's on the bigger apertures and sharpness at approx 50mm onwards.

Kit lenses should be sufficient in the initial stage, but soon you'd outgrow them and want something better for better performance...

You can check the price rates on both Nikon and Canon subforum sticky threads on their price guides. Both should come with kits (i.e. a kit lens 18-55 for the Nikon, shld be similar range for the Canon as well) And depending on the company selling them, they may throw in freebies like memory cards, tripods and bags...

Things to note, control of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. These are inter-related and will affect each other. Learn how they can affect each other and what they are for.

Simply, you'd need a higher shutter speed for sports or action shots. And a larger aperture (f4 and below) for less DOF and a smoother Bokeh for portraits. Smaller apertures (f16 - f22) would be great for scenery or situations when you need more DOF.

Changing of lenses should be smooth and not take too long. Also try to do it in a area with as lil dust as possible. Else there would be a higher chance of dust getting onto the sensor.

When using tripods, do use one which is as stable as possible. And if doing a long shutter speed shot, do consider using a remote release cable.

Get a cleaning kit, the most important one should be a blower. Also invest in back-up batteries for both the camera as well as as flash system you would want to use. As for the flash, do consider about your usage preferences as well as budget.

Hope these should be enough for your initial considerations.

Cheers,

I'd say skip a DSLR and just get a prosumer, like the Sony H series.

- for scenery,

Need advises

Thank you ;p

So which one did you choose?

I am also in the same situation as you but leaning more towards the D40 now.

Please don't let anyone misguide you. Visit www.dpreview.com and read the reviews about D40 and 400D. And find out yourself.

D40 is 6 megapixel
400D is 10 megapixel

400D is much better (in every sense of it) than D40. No offense toa ny Nikon user. But, there is simply no comparison between these 2 camera bodies.

400D is a clear winner. I will say, read the reviews, instead of asking personal opinions.

Thanks

Puneet

Please don't let anyone misguide you. Visit www.dpreview.com and read the reviews about D40 and 400D. And find out yourself.

D40 is 6 megapixel
400D is 10 megapixel

400D is much better (in every sense of it) than D40. No offense toa ny Nikon user. But, there is simply no comparison between these 2 camera bodies.

400D is a clear winner. I will say, read the reviews, instead of asking personal opinions.

Thanks

Puneet
agree, but the main point is do you need those features in the 400D? if not why not save the $ for a good lens? the D40 and 400D is about $400 apart (D40 = 900+, 400D = 1300+).

Megapixel isn't everything. ;)

In terms of price and performance, D40 is still a very good entry-level camera, with price so close to a mid-end to high end pro-sumer camera, D40 gives one more flexibity.

Also, D40 and 400D isn't really a fair comparison, though both are the "entry-level" camera from both camps.

And reviews are reviews, take it with a little pinch of salt. One should ask opinion from the real users of the camera, or better, if any of the friends have the cameras, ask them to let one play and feel for it.

agreed. reviews should be used as a guide. still betgter to get hands-on or end user opinions.

price difference is big, can use the difference to get lens or accessories.

- for scenery,

Need advises

Thank you ;p

Hi Tarokor,

Don't think its fair to compare D40 with the 400D. Firstly, you may be forcing the age old Nikon VS Canon debate to appear in your thread. 2nd, the two cameras are meant for uses of different proficiency and budget.

With what you described, maybe you can look at it this way:-

DSLR VS prosumers - some claim DSLRs can do things prosumers can't. others claim vice-versa. my take is with a DSLR, you have the option of more control and greater extremes in selecting what you shoot. I like to shoot at low apertures to get that bokeh, plus i like the feel of a conventional slr in my hands. Most prosumers can't reproduce that effect.

Canon or Nikon? - or any other brand, really depends on your individual preference and photog history. I tried both entry-level cams and find they're quite nice. Canon is also known for its vast array of lens that you can incorporate into your system. On the other hand, i leaned towards Nikon's entry level dslrs cos i think they have a more vivid color reproduction. Some others swear by Fuji, Oly and/or Sony, etc for some features they can appreciate. You should go ard and try them out before deciding.

950 or 1500 bucks? A case of budget. How much you can spend to get yourself a camera is a key factor to most of us here, I'd reckon. Are some features good to have or a must have to you? Write these down or ask ard, and you'll know that you can maximise your money to get you a set that can help you to develop the camera eye. You can always catch the BBB bug later on when you've decided.

Why should u be embarrassed over using one of sony's prosumers? I've seen a photographer take astonishingly good photos with his Fuji Z10, and I think you can too, with your current setup.

According to your preference, I'm thinking you can determine your zoom range, thats all. Scenery you can do with wide lens, and for people you may want to shoot them closer. So a lens with something like an 18-70 or 18-125 will fulfill most of your needs.

All the best in researching for a camera that meets your needs. Cheers.

So appreciate you guys feedback :thumbsup: .
:( really hard to decide :dunno:

Got any recommendation beside the original lens, what type of extra lens I should get ?
(for camera my budget is $900 to $1400 but lens I really don't know the market price)

Thank you once again ;p

The most crucial difference is that the D40 body does not have a focusing motor. Means you'd be restricted to only AF-S & AF-I lenses. The rest of the lenses you have to manually focus.

For the 400D, there's no such restriction.

But one point to note though, both bodies are relatively small and slightly difficult to grip properly especially when in use with bigger lenses and with flash.

The 400D has a vertical grip option. Not sure if the D40 does.

Got any recommendation beside the original lens, what type of extra lens I should get ?
(for camera my budget is $900 to $1400 but lens I really don't know the market price)

Thank you once again ;p

Depending on which camera you get, you will be opening yourself to other options. If I'm not wrong both cameras come with 18-55 kit lens. It should be enough for your use at this moment, but you may wanna see how much you have left once you bought whichever kit. Might wanna invest in a travel lens (i.e.18-200) like me cos I kiasu dun wanna miss out on the action. X)

Or if you want to try longer zooming, you can get a 55-200 zoom lens.

Once again, there're so many options. Think it might be better off if you concentrate on getting your kit first.

some1 selling new E500 n asking for $750, if u want something out of the nor...well just a suggestion since u dun have any system yet..

If you only have $1400, then 400D is the way to go. As for extra lens.. let us know how much extra money are you going to save or spend in near future for the new lens?

The price guide for lens can be found here.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=20

Thank you once again ;p

Any idea these 2 models what is the market price now ?

Any idea these 2 models what is the market price now ?

Do some research! Don't expect to be spoonfed!

Call up MS Color, got to bargaincity.com.sg, or walk to cathay, etc and ask!

Do some research! Don't expect to be spoonfed!

Call up MS Color, got to bargaincity.com.sg, or walk to cathay, etc and ask!

:thumbsd:

:thumbsd:
:dunno: i don see any wrong... those question have been asked million of times... most member just sensor the "Search" from their eye and only see "Post"

Status
Not open for further replies.