Nikon D40 Metering And Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

def.p0et

Aug 13, 2007
Hello everyone.. I just bought this dSLR camera(nikon d40) and have been experimenting with it ever since. Has always been my Hobby to 'shoot' since young.. but this qns has always bug me and i tried searching on the forum.. but none answered my qns.

1st: metering onli works for P,A,S mode right? How come it doesnt work on the M mode.

2nd: I tried to meter off an object then recompose and zoom.. however the meter goes off. how come? even the shutter/apperture changes.

3rd: once the exposure is lock, i cant change the focus isit?

4th: for manual mode, exposure lock doesnt work isit?

thx for answering in advance.. :)

have you read the manual?

yes i did. but i just kinda don get it when i tried on my camera.. would appreciate those experienced advice on the metering and focusing relationship. how they are related, if it is. And why it doesnt work on M mode.

all mode beside manual mode, you ask the camera to decide the aperture or shutter setting for you.

when on manual mode, the metering only show you a indication, of what combination of aperture and shutter is the correct exposure, so you have to decide do or do not fellow the suggestion of exposure meter.

since you able set the aperture and shutter speed yourself on manual mode, why you still need the lock it??

not sure about D40 has AE or focusing lock button, you should referring to your owner manual

yup i do have AE/AF-L button. Set it to exposure lock. hmm. metering only so happens when u set it to centre-weighted and spot metering settings and also dynamic and single AF mode?

I realised that the shutter and app changes when its on closest sub AF and also when metering is matrix..

which setting will the exposure lock.. and which setting will it not locked?

Hello everyone.. I just bought this dSLR camera(nikon d40) and have been experimenting with it ever since. Has always been my Hobby to 'shoot' since young.. but this qns has always bug me and i tried searching on the forum.. but none answered my qns.

1st: metering onli works for P,A,S mode right? How come it doesnt work on the M mode.

2nd: I tried to meter off an object then recompose and zoom.. however the meter goes off. how come? even the shutter/apperture changes.

1) Metering works on all modes, including M mode. But on M mode, u have to change the ISO or Aperture or Shutter speed urself to ur liking..

2) U have to use the AE-L button to lock ur exposure, then use shutter release button half-press for auto focusing..

3) No..read up manul on AE-L

4) I think it should works..but on M mode, u have full control, hardly use the exposure lock..

1. In M mode, you adjust the shutter speed and aperture yourself. There is still a meter in the viewfinder to tell you the exposure (+ or -).

2. You must perform a exposure lock. You can use the AE-L/AF-L button or configure the shutter release to lock exposure when half-press. Refer to the manual for more information.

3. You can still re-focus. It depends how you configure your exposure lock.

4. Why do you need to perform exposure lock in manual mode. The shutter speed and aperture do not change unless you change it.

You usually do exposure lock with spot or center weighted metering. It does not make much sense to use matrix metering.

BC

It should still work in the form of a bargraph telling you whether your setting will give over exposure or underexposure.

If the setting is already at the maximum aperture of the lens, when you zoom the maximum aperture for certain lenses may change, so that will in turn change the shutter speed to maintain the exposure value.

It may be your setting, if you set to AE/AF lock, you lock both. If you set it properly, you will only lock the exposure and not the focus, so you should still be able to AF.

In manual mode, the exposure is set by you, so it's supposed to be 'locked' already and should not change unless you change it.

brudder,
all your problems you mentioned, can be solved if you just use M mode. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thank you very much.. and errr.. sometimes, situations just doesnt allow u to use Manual mode.. haha..

i dun think i can.. anyway, i was reading few threads on metering.. im confused.. if i wanna meter of 'reference A', does reference A have to be in focus to be metered correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.