Nikon D40 maintenance (and general DSLR maintenance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadiusVector

Jul 31, 2008
Okay!

Some of the questions here maybe ultra NOOB but kindly bear with me :D

1) What are some of the most important factors to consider when handling the DSLR?
2) How can I clean the sensor of the camera in case dust gets in ?
3) I dont have a dry box but should I invest in one? Is the dry box only used when the camera is not used for extended periods ?
4) Is it okay to store the camera "lens face down" inside the camera bag?

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

1) Never drop your dslr and shoot in raining conditions unless yours is the weatherproof type. Change lens quickly with your back facing the wind and camera facing down. Dont change if too windy and dusty.
2)Raise the mirror and use blower. if stubborn spots use appropriate cleaning tools. its not easy nor too hard. If unsure its best to send to service centre and let them do it for you.
3)Definately but get a dry cabi instead of dry box. can organise your camera, lenses, accesorries better.
4)It will be wiser to let it lie flat if not will subject to bumps and knocks.

Wonderful that was informative, thanks

Any more suggestions?

Thinking aloud:

1) Don't drop it on concrete, don't expose it to water or sand, exercise some care when switching your lenses.

2) Lots of threads, but e.g. tilt your camera so the sensor element faces down, try using a blower. If doesn't work, send to service centre for professional cleaning, or buy kit to clean it yourself if you're willing to try.

Either way, determine first if the dust is significant enough as some minor specks can be painted out in Photoshop.

3) IMO go for a dry cabinet instead. A small one of 30-36 litres will be fine if you're staying amateur.

4) No issues for me but only if the bag's well padded + the DSLR is a snug fit between compartment walls.

Okay!

Some of the questions here maybe ultra NOOB but kindly bear with me :D

1) What are some of the most important factors to consider when handling the DSLR?
2) How can I clean the sensor of the camera in case dust gets in ?
3) I dont have a dry box but should I invest in one? Is the dry box only used when the camera is not used for extended periods ?
4) Is it okay to store the camera "lens face down" inside the camera bag?

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

for sensor cleaning i advise u to send it to nikon service centre to have it cleaned

That was very informative again guys, much appreciated

I understand that lens-changing is one of the most important aspects of maintenance

Also, Im worried about fungus growth on the lens - how often does this occur, and what are some of the main causes of this ? I had a friend whose lens was spoilt due to this

Also, a bit about the dry box/dry cabi - What would be the cheapest one that does the job well? I just need one big enough to fit one Nikon DSLR

if you get a dry cabi you dont have to worry about fungus growth, jus set the humidity level according to the manual. Usually this is between 45% to 55%. fungus grow when there is high level of humidity for long periods of time. i suggest you get this model AD-50L. you can put in at least 2 camera bodies, 3-5 lenses and other accesorries.

Status
Not open for further replies.