Nikon D3S (Need Help)

GeneralApex

Nov 15, 2010
Hi,

I have a few enquiry, hope you guys can help.

1) Raw image taken from D3S and open in PS or LR, color is different from D3S screen. (PS i open image without PS workspace)
Is there a way to make D3S screen color par with RAW image color in computer?

2) Is there any way to set D3S screen color to get the result of (What i see in screen is what i get in computer?)

3) What is Picture Control? Does it affect raw?

Thanks and Regards :)

Raw is unprocessed. What you see on the camera LCD is a jpeg rendering of the photo, and that is after it is processed by the camera according to the settings in your picture styles setting. If you want to get the same exact look as the image in the camera when you open the raw file, you need to use Capture NX or View NX.

Thanks daredevil123 :)

But if i want to use PS or LR, no matter what, the result in D3S screen will be definitely different from PS or LR right?

*****Just a question,

Can i ask, when you taking a photo, is it no matter what system you using the color in screen and raw will be different? Then how you determine a photo you took on spot is acceptable when you want to use PS or LR to Post Process? or is there any method you can do to make it right in screen or what you got in screen is what you get in computer?

Hope to understand all these as it been bothering me for quite a while.

Thanks and Regards

RAW gives you the ability to apply different exposure controls to your image to get the look you want. Picture control is a set of pre defined controls applied to your RAW iamge in camera. These do not affect the RAW image (you can change picture control in post processing), but do affect the resultant JPEGs. Nikon software like Capture NX2, View NX etc will recognize picture controls applied by the camera.
On a side note, I do not trust a camera's LCD since it is too bright, contrasty & uncalibrated. I trust the histogram more to give me an idea of the exposure latitude on the spot. The remaining parameters can then be adjusted in post processing on a computer with a calibrated screen.

Thanks daredevil123 :)

But if i want to use PS or LR, no matter what, the result in D3S screen will be definitely different from PS or LR right?

*****Just a question,

Can i ask, when you taking a photo, is it no matter what system you using the color in screen and raw will be different? Then how you determine a photo you took on spot is acceptable when you want to use PS or LR to Post Process? or is there any method you can do to make it right in screen or what you got in screen is what you get in computer?

Hope to understand all these as it been bothering me for quite a while.

Thanks and Regards

You may shoot Raw + JPEG and use the JPEG file as reference when post process.

Hi GeneralApex.

With NEF raw files, when it is opened up by LR, only the white balance data is used to render the picture from the NEF file. By default LR uses the ADOBE Standard profile for colors.

If you see & like the JPEG color profile of the D3S, you will manually need to go to the Lightroom Develop Module, Camera Profile & manually select the camera profile (aka as picture controls in the camera, they have the similar names) used to take the picture. The colors will then be very close to the actual color profile of the in camera JPEG. ;).

The picture control does not have any effect at all on the NEF when it opened by Lightroom or Photoshop.

On the other hand if the NEF file is opened with View NX2 or Capture NX2, then all the settings from the camera picture control is applied to render the image for display.

I hope this clarify things for you. :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for your verification and great tips :)