Nikon D3s discussion thread

Hi...just recently changed to the D3s and loving every minute of it....EXCEPT...Vertical Focusing.

Is it just me having trouble with the '3 finger movement' just before snapping? How do you all over come it?

Missing the MBD10's toggle stick.

Hi...just recently changed to the D3s and loving every minute of it....EXCEPT...Vertical Focusing.

Is it just me having trouble with the '3 finger movement' just before snapping? How do you all over come it?

Missing the MBD10's toggle stick.

Hmm bro what do you mean by vertical focusing? Focusing while in portrait position? And I also don't quite understand the '3 fingers movement'? Haha...

Anyway... AIYA! Irritating and stubborn dust speck got into my sensor finally on the top right-hand corner of my sensor. No amount of shake could get it off! :angry:

am a DX user. Would love to upgrade to FX.
But the only problem Im facing is my DX lens.
What are the disadvantages if Im using DX lens with FX body ... :cry:

thanks

Hmm bro what do you mean by vertical focusing? Focusing while in portrait position? And I also don't quite understand the '3 fingers movement'? Haha...

Anyway... AIYA! Irritating and stubborn dust speck got into my sensor finally on the top right-hand corner of my sensor. No amount of shake could get it off! :angry:

Bro how did that dust get in? are you going to NSC to clean your sensor?

Anyway what the bro above mentioned i think is the small joystick in MB-D10. coming from a D700 with that handgrip to D3s i think i know what he miss...hehe

Not sure if its just me but i find the overall D3s weight is lighter than D700 + MB-D10 - is that true? I don't have my D700 to weight it now... :cry:

Bro how did that dust get in? are you going to NSC to clean your sensor?

Anyway what the bro above mentioned i think is the small joystick in MB-D10. coming from a D700 with that handgrip to D3s i think i know what he miss...hehe

Not sure if its just me but i find the overall D3s weight is lighter than D700 + MB-D10 - is that true? I don't have my D700 to weight it now... :cry:

Yup I remember reading somewhere that D3s is lighter than the D700+MB-D10...

I have no idea how the dust got in. Just realised it two days ago! I keep my 24-70 on the camera almost all the time, so really no idea how dust could have gone it so deeply, and such a stubborn one, refusing to be 'shaken' off.

I heard D3s gets free sensor cleaning while within warranty period. Is that true?

I have no idea how the dust got in. Just realised it two days ago! I keep my 24-70 on the camera almost all the time, so really no idea how dust could have gone it so deeply, and such a stubborn one, refusing to be 'shaken' off.

I heard D3s gets free sensor cleaning while within warranty period. Is that true?

zoom lenses r like air pumps, basically it will suck in air and dust from the outside into the lens and can even get onto the sensor. besides, 24-70 extends out a fair bit when zooming. so i believe that's the cause.

didnt nikon made an announcement long time ago that sensor cleaning is no longer free, even if the body of any model is on warranty?

why not try blowing it off first? dry and loose dust can be blown off by a strong blower.

Last edited:
Yap... i never own but have try both. Just find those holding of D3S is good. To me i find D3s grip much better the D700 with Bat grip.

Oh my.... how the dust gets in? My 24-70 also 90% mounted, don't scare me leh... By the way how you know the dust got stuck there - from your photos or do you physically saw it on the sensor?

Gd luck at NSC and let us know the outcome!

URANIUM 2K: Hi, the 'three finger thing' well it's the fact that when taking shots in the portrait position, in order to focus, have to have one finger pressing the custom button, while the other 2 toggle with the dials to choose the focusing box position.

Wonder why they did away with the little joystick from the MBD10.:(

Anyone knows any way around that apart from having bigger hands???

URANIUM 2K: Hi, the 'three finger thing' well it's the fact that when taking shots in the portrait position, in order to focus, have to have one finger pressing the custom button, while the other 2 toggle with the dials to choose the focusing box position.

oh... i see... Does the AF-ON button help in this case?

Oh my.... how the dust gets in? My 24-70 also 90% mounted, don't scare me leh... By the way how you know the dust got stuck there - from your photos or do you physically saw it on the sensor?

Gd luck at NSC and let us know the outcome!

Probably like what Irvine said, dust got "sucked" in by the zooming, etc. Got to know why I shot at F11. Noticed an out-of-place spot then double checked at f22, confirmed... Tried the sensor cleaning shake but didn't quite work. Probably have to try mirror-up and blowing soon, but i'm just worried that it'll end up having more dust on it, haha...

It is, definitely. And depending on what battery you use. I hated the weight of the D700 + battery grip and even changed to the EN-EL4a instead of the 8xAA and still it was marginally heavier.

It is, definitely. And depending on what battery you use. I hated the weight of the D700 + battery grip and even changed to the EN-EL4a instead of the 8xAA and still it was marginally heavier.

So the myth is confirmed! ..lol

Probably like what Irvine said, dust got "sucked" in by the zooming, etc. Got to know why I shot at F11. Noticed an out-of-place spot then double checked at f22, confirmed... Tried the sensor cleaning shake but didn't quite work. Probably have to try mirror-up and blowing soon, but i'm just worried that it'll end up having more dust on it, haha...

Now i need to be extra careful when dealing with zoom lenses. I think it will be better if you let the pros hand your sensor cleaning, else later you introduce more dust in, not worth it IMO for an expensive camera.

Now i need to be extra careful when dealing with zoom lenses. I think it will be better if you let the pros hand your sensor cleaning, else later you introduce more dust in, not worth it IMO for an expensive camera.

That is true... I tried blowing it off. I huffed and I puffed and I...... still didn't manage to blow the speck of dust off... Looks like a visit to NSC is inevitable. :cry:

That is true... I tried blowing it off. I huffed and I puffed and I...... still didn't manage to blow the speck of dust off... Looks like a visit to NSC is inevitable. :cry:

i think you need big bad wolf of the three little pigs to help you... haha

ok jokes aside, i think NSC will be safer - at least if touchwood they scratch your sensor probably they will change a new d3s for you. this is what happened to me for my 24-70. ;p

I shoot regularly in vertical and believe it or not, that difficulty you described with the lack of joystick was a key reason for me deciding to give the D3S a miss - for now at least.

Am really hoping the successor to the D3S will have the joystick which D700/D300 users have the privilege of using. Otherwise, no choice, have to get used to fiddling with 2 hands...

NSC will charge for sensor cleaning even with warranty with your D3s. :cry:
I find that overall handholding of the D3s is much better than the D700. It sits into your palm much better, allowing for a better fit.

NSC will charge for sensor cleaning even with warranty with your D3s. :cry:
I find that overall handholding of the D3s is much better than the D700. It sits into your palm much better, allowing for a better fit.

Any idea how much they charge? Do they charge differently for different models?