Nikon D3100 REVIEW & High ISO 12800 test

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
First of all, we would like to say thank you for Sony that producing a good new sensor for the Nikon D3100.
Some people say that the new Nikon D3100 is using the same sensor with Sony Alpha A550.
Believe it or not. ;)

Anyway, here is the link to review:
Nikon D3100 Review - Page 1
Nikon D3100 Review - Page 2

High ISO test in this link :

033535_big.jpg

033536_big.jpg

What's next ? BBB ?
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Who has put D3100 on the Buy Buy Buy list ?

:think: ;p :devil:

Nobody has interested ...

:cry:

Maybe I'll buy one for my grandson birthday this weekend. :thumbsup:

Hotwork77, are you born in 1977 ? And have Grandson already ? :think:

Happy Birthday for your Grandson ! :)

Urm.... that could mean his age .... depending on when he signed up of course... Of course I could be wrong...

D3100.... :think: Me kid is hinting me for a DSLR... But I shall wait and see for D90's replacement... see how....

I wonder when will it land on Singapore. Anyone has any idea?

Primary specs look impressive. However, I would need to consider the issue of lack of AF screw and also assess buttons design. Would hope to read more on review...especially Dpreview to look at the whole cam first...:)

Primary specs look impressive. However, I would need to consider the issue of lack of AF screw and also assess buttons design. Would hope to read more on review...especially Dpreview to look at the whole cam first...:)

The problem is... whether D90's replacement will ignore the AF screw altogether as well... Thanks for reminding me about the AF screw... look's like I'll have to pass it then.

:eek:

i plan to buy one for my pet turtle this weekend.

Maybe I'll buy one for my grandson birthday this weekend. :thumbsup:

why is it that some primary impression of the new D3100 is of a toy? haha... I thot the specs is pretty good...seems to be targetting to challenge the 550D...Entry level doesn't necessarily means toy-like in my opinion... as much said, I would never buy the new D3100 for my pet guppies...:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Not a bad start for this newcomer...

First of all, we would like to say thank you for Sony that producing a good new sensor for the Nikon D3100.

Some people say that the new Nikon D3100 is using the same sensor with Sony Alpha A550.
Believe it or not. ;)
actually, Nikon has been using Sony-designed sensors for quite awhile in their cameras other than in their top range D_ series, all the way back to the D100 I think... thing is, the D3100 seems to be the first non-D_ series camera to not use a Sony-designed sensor, as the Mpixel count and size seem to be different from Sony sensors...

------------------- D3100 --------- Sony "14.2" pixel sensor (A550, A560, NEX-5)
Size ----------- 23.1 x 15.4 mm ------------- 23.4 x 15.6 mm
Image Size ------ 4608 x 3072 ---------------- 4592 x 3056

could this be the start of Nikon designing all their own sensors?...

EDIT: just to clarify, when I mention "D_", I mean the cameras with only 1 numeral digit after the character "D", such as D1, D2, D3, etc...

Last edited:

I'm still wondering how you deduced that I was born in 1977? I'm already 98 and still mobile. 77 is my lucky number which is also the number of my house. Nice to know you. Anyways, we are OT already. ;)

why is it that some primary impression of the new D3100 is of a toy? haha... I thot the specs is pretty good...seems to be targetting to challenge the 550D...Entry level doesn't necessarily means toy-like in my opinion... as much said, I would never buy the new D3100 for my pet guppies...:bsmilie:

C'mon guys...D3100 is no toy. The specs are good. It is however a good camera to start with as the controls are simple enough to learn. BTW my grandson is 32 this year and I'm not a teenager. I'm still young at heart and I can speak your modern day lingo. :cool:

C'mon guys...D3100 is no toy. The specs are good. It is however a good camera to start with as the controls are simple enough to learn. BTW my grandson is 32 this year and I'm not a teenager. I'm still young at heart and I can speak your modern day lingo. :cool:

Agree !

Just read the D3100 specs, it much better than current D3000.

This new D3100 is definitely not a toy.
Sometimes I think that it's too advance to be a starter DSLR already.

;p

I think I'm already hit by the BBB. I've been living too long with the terrible ISO performance in D3000...

I have fixed the link at the first post.

Here is the link for comparison between Nikon D3100 against other DSLR:
NIKON D3000 vs D3100 vs D5000
NIKON D3100 vs CANON EOS 60D

Btw, any of you could find any more sample from D3100 test/review that taken with ISO 12800 ?

:think: