Nikon D3100 from Cathay Photos

hcchua73

Feb 5, 2011
I just sold off my 2-month old Nikon D3100 kit to a nice lady. During the transaction, she noted that the cap for the bayonet mount does not have the Nikon marking. Also, the 18-55mm kits lens did not have the standard black rear lens cap. Instead, it is a cheap white plastic cap that is "stuck" on, not screwed on.

The D3100 kit was purchased from Cathay Photos on 22 Nov. As it was my first dSLR, I did not know what to expect and just took the items given to me as standard. I only realized something was amiss after the buyer highlighted them to me. After being alerted, I checked another lens, the 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR, which I bought together from Cathay. The rear lens cap is a generic one, not the Nikon one.

Not sure if my package is the "standard" one from Nikon and they are trying to cut cost or did Cathay Photos "tampered" with it. Highly suspicious 'cos other lens and bodies bought at other shops (TK Photo and J3:16) do not have such issues.

Can other CSers comment?

I have the D5000, and I assume the D3100 kit should be similar.

The bayonet mount cover should have the Nikon marking. Unless they wanted to save some more money in the D3100 which I doubt.

The cheaper lenses including the 18-55mm come with the white cap and not the black nikon cap. That is normal. My original 18-55mm from Challenger and 55mm f/1.8 from Parisilk both came with the white cover. The more expensive 18-200mm and 70-300mm came with black Nikon caps. Don't know about the 55-200mm.

FYI...AFD 50mm f1.8 also comes with white cap :)

don't freak out, the cap cost about $5...

The 18-55 kit lens that come with my D5000 also only have the white rear lens cap.

But the bayonet mount for my cam has the nikon marking. Most probably this is different for d3100.

I got my D3100 from Harvey Norman in Funan back in Nov. The kit 18-55 lens comes with a white rear cap, not the standard black Nikon ones.

@edutilos-: Nice! I never paid attention to "unboxing" pics when I go through articles/reviews. Now I know what they are for :)
@shark78: I was told by a guy fr J3:16 that it costs about SGD10 and that the D3100 comes with Nikon caps. I guess he can't miss the opportunity to rub it in competitor's face ;)

Thanks to all the rest for verification. At the very least, we know that Cathay is not punking around. Cheers!

Haha! I never saw the use of all those "unboxing" videos until now.

I myself have also "unboxed" a D3100 with my friend before and yes, it is as you've described.

@shark78: I was told by a guy fr J3:16 that it costs about SGD10 and that the D3100 comes with Nikon caps. I guess he can't miss the opportunity to rub it in competitor's face ;)

really? he made a mistake.