Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D. For a beginner

skyunicorn

Jul 28, 2010
Hi, I've actually done quite some homework on this and at first I settled on the Nikon D3000 as it's newer and so has more stuff like more focusing points.

However I went down to SLR Revo and the guy there told me that he'd recommend that I get the Canon 1000D instead as its cheaper in the long run to get lenses for it. As the Nikon D3000 does not have a focusing motor in the body, but the D90 has. So my choices of lenses will be limited. Then after more research, I realise that the EOS series from Canon do not have focusing motor in the body either. So why did he say Canon would be cheaper?

Also he said that Canon focuses faster and is easier to use. The prices between this two is like $10 so really it just which is better.

I intend to use it to take photos of my baby indoors (bad lighting), which my PnS really sucks at, and also hope to join the photo outings that I see so many being organized in this forum to learn more about photography.

I am only looking at this two models, even though I understand for a bit more I can get a much better camera like the 500D, D90 etc. But I'm a girl who easily takes interest in hobbies and loses interest just as quickly so I need to keep the cost down to a minimum for a start. :)

I would get the 1000D for I think it's much more user friendly. Why not consider other brand such as Sony as well?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would reccomend Sony as well; it is a great beginner DSLR

but if you were to ask me between the two...1000D definitely;)

takes interest in hobbies and loses interest just as quickly so I need to keep the cost down to a minimum for a start. :)

Opps did not see this line; well then perhaps it will be better to consider sony as it is relatively cheaper and you won;t feel heartache when you decide it is not suited for u

I would get the 1000D for I think it's much more user friendly. Why not consider other brand such as Sony as well?

I've actually looked at the Sony A330, but the biggest names in photography seem to be Nikon and Canon, so if I do fall out of love with this hobby, it would be much easier for me to sell it off. :angel:

I do think that canon is more user friendly, although I'm sure Nikon isn't hard to learn either. Does the D3000 take better photos being a newer model? If I wish to get a lens for it in future would the Canon be cheaper as I will have more choices?

Thank you all for your time to help me out. :lovegrin:

If i am not wrong; lens price is actually about the same; what you pay is what you get....
"take better photos"???---> this brings up the debate of wielder VS equipment...
but in terms of IQ, i believe they are similar...
anyway hope this will help
http://photo.net/beginner-photography-questions-forum/00UQFJ.... you can find similar questions posted by others by using google

Last edited:
hi .
i myself am also a beginner, a very green horn in this area. you can see on my signature.

well before i bought my canon 550D, i tried the nikon D90, the canon 1000D and the sony 3xx and 5xx series. i felt that the sony dslr are much easier to use, and it helps me understand better. there are pictures, and stuffs to make things easier and simpler to do. but then it didnt take me too long to know how to adjust the settings and stuffs in the nikon d90 and the canon 550d. all it took was just 3 trips to courts and play with it.

User friendliness is....in my opinion....personal preference. I know people who swear by nikon ergonomics while others may prefer canon ergonomics.

D3000 is newer but i heard about a d3100 coming out in sept or something. 1000D is a two year old model that's obsolete already. Its been discontinued in some places already.

Image quality wise...there is not much to differentiate.

But I'm a girl who easily takes interest in hobbies and loses interest just as quickly so I need to keep the cost down to a minimum for a start. :)

Consider getting second hand?

Consider getting second hand?

I am considering, however will only get second hand if it's alot cheaper than new, as I can claim $400 if I have a proper receipt. So second hand means cannot claim. The B&S here the prices aren't really low, been hoping to get a good deal but yet to find one.

Actually I see alot of 2nd hands asking for more than retail price. How puzzling...

User friendliness is....in my opinion....personal preference. I know people who swear by nikon ergonomics while others may prefer canon ergonomics.

D3000 is newer but i heard about a d3100 coming out in sept or something. 1000D is a two year old model that's obsolete already. Its been discontinued in some places already.

Image quality wise...there is not much to differentiate.

This is a great piece of advice ! Since it has become obsolete then I guess the only logical way to go will be the Nikon right? Since I can still see posters of the D3000 advert everywhere.

I am considering, however will only get second hand if it's alot cheaper than new, as I can claim $400 if I have a proper receipt. So second hand means cannot claim. The B&S here the prices aren't really low, been hoping to get a good deal but yet to find one.

Actually I see alot of 2nd hands asking for more than retail price. How puzzling...

Well some are just shams....wanting to make profit at others expense....some are due to certain reasons....namely EXTENDED warrenty e.g. canon can extned for 6 or 12 months can't remember which 1...but have to pay....lens filter...lens hood...extra batteries....etcetc...you have to see what they are offering along...anyway whichever you get just stick with it and never regret till you feel photography will be a big part of your life...then you can start to BBB...:D:D

just my 2 cents

This is a great piece of advice ! Since it has become obsolete then I guess the only logical way to go will be the Nikon right? Since I can still see posters of the D3000 advert everywhere.

That's wrong thinking. You cannot base camera longevity on marketing budget. Both the 1000D and the D3000 are due for a replacement, and it'll come at about the same time.

That's wrong thinking. You cannot base camera longevity on marketing budget. Both the 1000D and the D3000 are due for a replacement, and it'll come at about the same time.

second that. go read more

However I went down to SLR Revo and the guy there told me that he'd recommend that I get the Canon 1000D instead as its cheaper in the long run to get lenses for it. As the Nikon D3000 does not have a focusing motor in the body, but the D90 has. So my choices of lenses will be limited.

He is right to say that in the current Nikon models, D90 and above would have a focusing motor in the body. But to be very exact, your choices of lenses won't be limited. It's just that some lenses will not have Autofocus function on the D3000, but the lens will still fit.

Then after more research, I realise that the EOS series from Canon do not have focusing motor in the body either. So why did he say Canon would be cheaper?

Also he said that Canon focuses faster and is easier to use. The prices between this two is like $10 so really it just which is better.

I don't believe in such over-generalising/sweeping statements that "Canon focuses faster." What nonsense... Focusing speed depends on many factors. I'm certain Brand is not one of them.

Also, you made a wrong statement. All Canon EOS cameras (ie Canon DSLRs) have focusing motor in the bodies. This include 1000D. Hence, you will get Autofocus when you attach a EF or EF-S lens on to the 1000D.

But I'm a girl who easily takes interest in hobbies and loses interest just as quickly so I need to keep the cost down to a minimum for a start. :)
You can take a look at our Buy&Sell section for 2nd hand goods. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can get a very good deal. Some may retain their receipts.

really, if i am given any of these 2 cams with similar lens i have now, i dont see how my photos will improve (i using 40d (buddy gave me good price), upgraded from canon d60 because its almost ups the lorry liao).

He is right to say that in the current Nikon models, D90 and above would have a focusing motor in the body. But to be very exact, your choices of lenses won't be limited. It's just that some lenses will not have Autofocus function on the D3000, but the lens will still fit.

I don't believe in such over-generalising/sweeping statements that "Canon focuses faster." What nonsense... Focusing speed depends on many factors. I'm certain Brand is not one of them.

Also, you made a wrong statement. All Canon EOS cameras (ie Canon DSLRs) have focusing motor in the bodies. This include 1000D. Hence, you will get Autofocus when you attach a EF or EF-S lens on to the 1000D.

You can take a look at our Buy&Sell section for 2nd hand goods. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can get a very good deal. Some may retain their receipts.

Thank you so much for pointing out all the things that are not true, and explaining the lens thing. :thumbsup:

I think I will prefer to have the focusing motor in the bodies, so that I do not need to choose between having a cheaper lens but needing to focus manually, or a more expensive but able to auto focus lens in the future.

really, if i am given any of these 2 cams with similar lens i have now, i dont see how my photos will improve (i using 40d (buddy gave me good price), upgraded from canon d60 because its almost ups the lorry liao).

I guess you are trying to say that camera bodies don't matter so much, it's the lenses that do ?

I think I have pretty much made up my mind thanks to all your feedback.

I'll be getting the canon brand new, unless I find a super duper good deal on a nikon d3000.

thank you very much everyone !

Thank you so much for pointing out all the things that are not true, and explaining the lens thing. :thumbsup:

I think I will prefer to have the focusing motor in the bodies, so that I do not need to choose between having a cheaper lens but needing to focus manually, or a more expensive but able to auto focus lens in the future.

well, then none of the Canon cameras have focusing motor in the bodies.... then how? :D

From your first post, it didn't sound like you're gonna be heavily invested in this hobby, so why worry about future lens purchases, which are all hypothetical at the moment?
The way Nikon package and market their entry-level cameras, my assumption is that they're not targeted at photographers who intend to amass a collection of 'exotic' lenses.