Nikon D3000 for Beginner? Advice needed

autumnbrazzer

Jan 2, 2011
Is this a good camera for me as it would be my first DSLR? Is this camera good in low light?

Lens to recommend for normal shooting purpose? Thanks alot

now came out new d3100. with video recording.you may consider d3100 also. all the dslr are really good for low light. all the DX will perform almost as good as any DX format. d3100 low light performance is as good as d300s.
lens i could recommend nikon 35mm f 1.8g af-s dx. good for low light shooting. and the lens focal length is close to standard lens after 1.5 crop :thumbsup:

Last edited:
yup like what unknown123 said is true

the new D3100 is upgraded version of the D3000, higher megapixel and a video function
the D3000 good when your on a tight budget but with a 10.1 mp vs a 14.1 mp ofcos the IQ in D3100 is much better but do reconsider this

both DSLR doesn't have IBM (in built motor) so you can't auto focus on lens like AF, AF-D, AF-G you only can use AF-S lens which can be quite expensive

Thanks for the advice, but im not into video but purely photo takings so i think the video is useless to me and i have a tight budget. Other model to recommend for entry level DSLR?

If you are on a tight budget such that even the D3100 is out of reach, then I think a pre-owned D60 or a D40/D40X is quite sufficient for a beginner 1st dslr. You can get the cam & the std 18-55mm lens for $500 & less in the B&S. My nephew has the D60 & he likes it so much as it fits into his purpose & lifestyle that he wont even want a D90 from me free . It's less complicated, takes "brighter,more saturated" color pics off the cam, relatively lightweight & if I may say so quite stylish compared to some others :) The D3000 is less favoured & I know of some beginners who regretted having this model instead of saving up for a better one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but im not into video but purely photo takings so i think the video is useless to me and i have a tight budget. Other model to recommend for entry level DSLR?

With such a tight budget, the other models to be considered are: Nikon D3100, Canon 1000D, Sony A290, Sony A-390.

I have made some comparison in this link below:

Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D vs Sony A290 / A390 vs Nikon D3100

Was thinking of having 2nd hand set purchase at the buy and sell area. What would be good ? Was looking at Nikon D40x and Nikon D60, which would be better

Last edited:
With such a tight budget, the other models to be considered are: Nikon D3100, Canon 1000D, Sony A290, Sony A-390.

I have made some comparison in this link below:

Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D vs Sony A290 / A390 vs Nikon D3100

CCD is actually better then CMOS. CCD have better noise leh they are more costly :sweat: . abit wrong information. lecia use CCD. hasselblad use CCD.

both CCD and CMOS have their strength and weakness.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am a beginner too and i am using the D3000, so far i am pretty pleased with it. it is light and easy to use with the guide mode. Do take note though that the pictures do get a fair bit noisy above ISO 800 and as i have a big hand, looking for a battery grip for it now.

Other than that i love my D3000. :)

Cheers.