Nikon D3000 and D5000

valerie91

Nov 6, 2010
Hi,
I need help on whether Nikon D3000 or D5000 is better. Please give me comments. Thanks:)

D5000

why? hmm.I was told that the difference between this 2 is that D5000 is able to watch video while the other can't.

Previously, I have asked a professional photographer advice on D3100. He said that he don't advice because the camera don't have a autofocus motor so a lot of lense can't be used. You will need to pay more for 'AFS' lenses which have motor built into the lens. So you save on the body but ends up paying more for additional purchase of lenses. Hmm. Do you know currently How much is the price of D5000 and is there any place that give a good price (cheaper) ?

Previously, I have asked a professional photographer advice on D3100. He said that he don't advice because the camera don't have a autofocus motor so a lot of lense can't be used. You will need to pay more for 'AFS' lenses which have motor built into the lens. So you save on the body but ends up paying more for additional purchase of lenses. Hmm. Do you know currently How much is the price of D5000 and is there any place that give a good price (cheaper) ?

In case you don't know, the D5000 does not have a AF motor as well

my budget is around $700-$800. I have checked that D3000 has the auto focused. The price list only include the price for D5000 body.

In case you don't know, the D5000 does not have a AF motor as well

D3000, D3100 and D5000 all DO NOT have auto-focus motor built-in in the camera body.

As such, these 3 models of cameras can ONLY do auto focus on AF-S and AF-I lenses (these lenses has autofocus motors built-in in the lenses themselves).

If you want to buy new, your budget is not enough to get a camera body that has an auto-focus motor built in.

If you are willing to get a used camera, your budget can do D50, D70, D70s, D80 and D100.

I suggest you go for the D80 if you strictly want a Nikon with an autofocus motor built in.

Is autofocus motor very important?

D3000, D3100 and D5000 all DO NOT have auto-focus motor built-in in the camera body.

As such, these 3 models of cameras can ONLY do auto focus on AF-S and AF-I lenses (these lenses has autofocus motors built-in in the lenses themselves).

If you want to buy new, your budget is not enough to get a camera body that has an auto-focus motor built in.

If you are willing to get a used camera, your budget can do D50, D70, D70s, D80 and D100.

I suggest you go for the D80 if you strictly want a Nikon with an autofocus motor built in.

my budget is around $700-$800. I have checked that D3000 has the auto focused. The price list only include the price for D5000 body.

Yup, agree with daredevil, for your budget, you can only get 2nd hand bodies with AF motors. D90 and D7000 would be out of your budget. You should check again, where did you see that the D3000 has a motor?

Is autofocus motor very important?

Depends on you.

If you plan on just using a few lenses or new lenses, then you do not have a lot of problem.

But for us who like to use prime lenses, your choices are limited, especially if you are on a budget.

50/1.8 = $190
50/1.4D = $500+
50/1.4G AF-S = $800+.

85/1.8 = $500+
85/1.4D = $1600
85/1.4G = $2200

Sigma 24/1.8 = $720
Nikon 24/1.4G AF-S = $2400+

lenses in bold can autofocus on D3000, D3100, D5000. The ones not in bold cannot.

Last edited:
I double checked already. I think I see wrongly. Currently, I look at the price of D3000 at a shop outside.it's around $780 which comes with free 8Gb SD card, screen protector, camera pouch. I think I'm planning to use a few lenses. I am just a beginner in photography.

I double checked already. I think I see wrongly. Currently, I look at the price of D3000 at a shop outside.it's around $780 which comes with free 8Gb SD card, screen protector, camera pouch. I think I'm planning to use a few lenses. I am just a beginner in photography.

Why not get a Pentax or Sony, that are full-featured and not limited in the autofocus choices? Cheaper too.

I never heard of Pentax before. hmm. Which ones do you recommend for both?

No harm looking at the buy and sell section here actually, should have quite a few people selling away the D3000.

I never heard of Pentax before. hmm. Which ones do you recommend for both?

Pentax is an old and well-respected brand. The K-x is good. For Sony, with your budget, you can get an A290 or an A390. Much more full-featured with built-in antishake too.

By the way, have you read the "What DSLR to get?" FAQ Sticky? I think it would be a good start for you.

I have read up abit on pentax k-x. They say unreliable image stablizer.