Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonHan

Apr 2, 2008
Hougang
Which one will you get if u wanted buy?
Nikon D300 and Canon 50D..
Because I wanted to get one of them and very confuse and don't know what to choose.
So wanted to get opinion from you all..
Thanks..

Many before you tried asking like you did. Usually, they got more confused after getting "advised".

Nevermind if its a D300 or 50D, do you actually know what you are getting? Do you know what you need? If you don't and assuming that this is the first DSLR, I suggest you make it a point to ask yourself those questions. Knowing your needs is the best way to decide on something that matches your needs? At the very least, you can start by handling the cameras. Which of those do you like better in terms of user interface and handling. Which of those do you feel more comfortable with?

There's already one going on here. Can you refer to that thread?

i was in ur shoe also last year. at first i go for nikon, coz i didn;t know canon got make these kind of camera. then i found out that nikon's low end range is a bunch of whackjobs masquerading as dslrs when i compare it with canon's low end cameras. i was thinking like, if i'm gonna pay good money for such low performance camera, i can either forget about it and keep to PnS, or i could look at the next higher range. comparing between these two, the decision is already made up. really no fight lar between canon's xxD series with nikons Dxx and above. it was then decided i would go for canon 40D when originally i wan to buy a nikon D80. dat's why, saving up for nearly a year to get the 40D plus a 24-105L lens. no regrets so far. :)

i was in ur shoe also last year. at first i go for nikon, coz i didn;t know canon got make these kind of camera. then i found out that nikon's low end range is a bunch of whackjobs masquerading as dslrs when i compare it with canon's low end cameras. i was thinking like, if i'm gonna pay good money for such low performance camera, i can either forget about it and keep to PnS, or i could look at the next higher range. comparing between these two, the decision is already made up. really no fight lar between canon's xxD series with nikons Dxx and above. it was then decided i would go for canon 40D when originally i wan to buy a nikon D80. dat's why, saving up for nearly a year to get the 40D plus a 24-105L lens. no regrets so far. :)

i beg to differ. what do you define as a 'whackjob'? it has all the forms and functions to make it a dslr.:nono:

i beg to differ. what do you define as a 'whackjob'? it has all the forms and functions to make it a dslr.:nono:

allow me to explain. (possibility of wrong word choice, i apologize). whackjob here in meaning a function not much better than a prosumer camera but price much higher. or should i say, 'flimsy' build/functions(???) considering the pedigree? i can't be exactly sure, but its the feeling i get when feeling them out. its like something is just not rite with it, but i cant put a finger on it... hard to say lor. whackjob (or some other less offending word choice) is the closest i could offer to describe it. sorry nikon fans.

Last edited:
lol. okay, i respect your opinion. i started off with a nikon d40x and i think it helped me grasp the concepts of photography pretty well. i guess it doesnt really matter what brand or model that you use, as long as you're comfortable with it. and with regards to the TS's question, i'd say, go for the brand that people around you are using, so you can learn from one another, and also borrow each other's gear! :cool:

'Flimsy?' Are you serious?? No offense here but I think it's a rather well-known fact that Nikon's DSLR range including the lower-end range have a generally robust feel and quality to them, that can easily better Canon's low-end offerings. I don't think it's fair to compare the Dxx series with the XXD series since they are priced differently & targetted for different consumer needs too.
I don't think you can use functions found in prosumer cameras such as 10X optical zoom, body image stabiliser, face detection & HD movies as comparisons to DSLRs, which have always been about image quality as the number one priority combined with ease of use & full manual settings & interchangeable lenses.

Last edited:
i think the two cams are targeting two different market segments and it's not fair to compare them side by side..

speaking of which.. to the threadstarter.. do you even know what you are looking for in the first place? or you're just pulled into the nikon versus canon debate.. or you are just an equipment hunter?

Move your ass, go down to Cathay Photo John's, Lords or any of those popular shops. Tell them that you would like to try out these 2 models of camera.
Too many cooks spoilt the broth.

When you hold on to the camera and you heart is pumping. Yah.... take out your heard earn cash or credit card and pay for it.

I'm not saying all these professional advice that you may get here are incorrect. In fact, they are so correct that in the end, you put
on the weighing machine, you get almost balance.

So what ? You still get loyal players in either systems, maybe it be Canon, Nikon or Sony, jumping between them or even end up
owning both of them.

You need to buy something you like and something that suits your own usage. All these comments here are basically
after they already know what they wanted and been there, done it.

Photography is not a cheap investment for all to say. I myself thought I can stop somewhere, but I think it doesn't work this
way. You buy all you need to get your pics show up the way you want it to be. Equipment don't decide everything, your
passion and skills will make significant impact.

Choose one that you feel at this moment works for you, read the specifications and do a 1 to 1 comparison, then
go and "feel up" the body of the camera. hahaha

Didn't know you need a statistical answer to decide for you which camera suits you. Its like making a poll between apple and orrange so that you can decide which you want to eat base on the majority.

Seriously, both cameras are fine. Specs aside, go and feel both cameras like what others say.

Dude...

GO to the SHOPS and feel them in your hands, see which you like better.

TRY out the settings, how you are gonna use them, etc... make sure you like the interface and how you are going to handle it...

go for 50D. It's hot off the stove with the latest and greatest... That is until Nikon comes out with another latest and greatest.

Personally, you must first ask yourself what sort of photos you like to take. Once you've decided on your style of photography, you pick the lenses that will suit your needs. Take into account factors like IS/VR, USM/AFS, ultrafast prime lenses, focal lengths, weight/size etc. THEN, you decide on the camera. The camera is the LAST thing you worry about.

can someone explain why is NIkon made in thailand when Canon is still made in Japan? On two counts I wanted to get a Nikon ( a coolpic and a 90D) and it is the tag that push me away to a sony cybershot and a Canon 50D respectively. No offend for products made in thailand but personally if I am to pay for a Camera and given a choice I would feel better buying something that is made in Japan given it's renowned quality control reputation. So I'd go for Canon 50D.

Wanna-be Nikon owner that didn't get-to-be.

can someone explain why is NIkon made in thailand when Canon is still made in Japan? On two counts I wanted to get a Nikon ( a coolpic and a 90D) and it is the tag that push me away to a sony cybershot and a Canon 50D respectively. No offend for products made in thailand but personally if I am to pay for a Camera and given a choice I would feel better buying something that is made in Japan given it's renowned quality control reputation. So I'd go for Canon 50D.

It really dosen't matter... have you seen what happened to 1DMk3? ;)

Or the countless post on lenses back/front focusing?

Any differece??

I have a Made in thailand D200, and no issues there... I dun see any relevance to a MIJ or MIT unit these days.

And as Cyrn has pointed out. There are plenty of MIJ stuff which have problems... so u want a unit with problems or one without?

Be thankful it's not made in China :bsmilie:

Be thankful it's not made in China :bsmilie:

Well, my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 is made in China, no problems there....

wonderful piece of cheap glass. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.