Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Auto

Apr 7, 2008
West West West area
Dear All,

Previously i am using Canon 450D. Due to itchy backside, so intend to look for something different which 450D dun have. I had sold out all my Canon.:cry:

I still stuck at this few item as mention on tittle, have no idea what brand and model i should go. So, at here i would like to have some comment from all of you.:dunno:

Again, also thinking to get new or used from CS,

Live is so diffitcult.:(

It's only as difficult as you make it to be.

You just have to find out what is that you need. Maybe you can ask yourself first what was it with the 450D that you found lacking? If you don't even know what is it you want, even the top of the line cameras might not be able to satisfy you.

It's not much use asking people to help you decide. All the info you need, you can find it online. Plenty of discussions have been done about each of the cameras you mentioned. At the end of the day, you have to evaluate all the information you found and decide for yourself which suits you best based on your needs and budget.

Sorry if I may sound hard or crude, but your post doesn't say much about why you want a new camera, so maybe you just need to think about that first before simply asking which to buy.

Good Luck!

Dear All,

Previously i am using Canon 450D. Due to itchy backside, so intend to look for something different which 450D dun have. I had sold out all my Canon.:cry:

I still stuck at this few item as mention on tittle, have no idea what brand and model i should go. So, at here i would like to have some comment from all of you.:dunno:

see what you need. For me i would look for noise control at iso1600 and above among other things.

Dear All,

i bought 450D:( after one week sold it away, then get D300 and very happy till now:bsmilie::

is D300 or D90 better?
i want to take pics at iso 800 or 1600 (if possible)

is D300 or D90 better?
i want to take pics at iso 800 or 1600 (if possible)

Do research. They've been compared on dpreview already.

There is numerous reason of why you should and why you should not.
I was a user of D300 and now D3.
My opinion for you is D300.

I will let the others tell you why it should be D300, and also canon users
to let you know why 40D :)

About the same for both imo.

i bought 450D:( after one week sold it away, then get D300 and very happy till now:bsmilie::

Welcome to the Dark Side...:devil:

There is numerous reason of why you should and why you should not.
I was a user of D300 and now D3.
My opinion for you is D300.

I will let the others tell you why it should be D300, and also canon users
to let you know why 40D :)

Being an ex 40D user myself and now switched to the Dark Side, I would say go with D300...IMHO, D300 beats 40D in the following aspects:

1. Better high iso noise control
2. Advanced CLS system
3. More reliable flashes when taking multiple shots. You seldom get dark/missed pics on Nikon. When I was using 40D + 580EXII, out of 5 continuous shots, at least 1 or 2 is dark.
4. Ability to use excellent Nikkor Manual Focus lens. They are cheap n good compared to the AF versions like for like!
5. 51 AF pts vs 9 AF pts on 40D. People will tell u they only use the center AF pts so there is no pt having so many AF pts yaddayadda...wait till you get focus shift and your protraits turn out not sharp then u will regret like I used to...
6. Canon only keeps the good stuff on the 1D series whereas for Nikon, the hi end technology will trickle down to the lower end models. Example, only the 1D series gets 45AF pts, even the newly announced 5DMkII only has 9 AF+ 6 AF Assist pts...:dunno:

My advice is since you had sold your Canon stuff, go for Nikon...

5. 51 AF pts vs 9 AF pts on 40D. People will tell u they only use the center AF pts so there is no pt having so many AF pts yaddayadda...wait till you get focus shift and your protraits turn out not sharp then u will regret like I used to...
6. Canon only keeps the good stuff on the 1D series whereas for Nikon, the hi end technology will trickle down to the lower end models. Example, only the 1D series gets 45AF pts, even the newly announced 5DMkII only has 9 AF+ 6 AF Assist pts...:dunno:

i am another from 450D to D300, and i am very happy with what my camera can perform now.

Everyone has their reason why they choose things over, mine is mainly due to advance CLS and the marketing trend of C disappoint me, as what coolsigg mention in point 6. You will never get the pro features in the C lower end as they will always be keeping them in the 1D series, wherelse the darkside will eventually pass down the features over the years.

And like what coolsigg mention, i was one of the dudes who keep insisting why the need of 51 af points, and after using it, i would say, it will be a feature i look in cameras if i ever upgrade again.

It really make focusing more accurate and allows you more angle and perspective to choose from with large aperature lenses, you will not experience recomposition and losing focus in photos again :thumbsup:

Get a Red. Problems all solved.

Might be i will do it as well. But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??

What some brother mention above absolutely correct, Etc, 45pts and high ISO, this also some of the reason i gave up Canon. i also able to get almost same spec like D300 from canon if i pay more$$$

Besides, those use D300 mind to share where you bought and how much and freebie u get via PM. Thanks.

Last edited:
But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??

Err, so? Do you really need 100+ lenses, most of which duplicate each other?

Might be i will do it as well. But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??

What is more impt is that the brand u finally choose must have the lenses that meets your needs...

Canon have alot of pro grade telephoto lenses from 300mm onwards...but do u need them and can you afford them?

For me, along as the brand have 24-70, 70-200, Macro and some common primes (35/50/85), I am ok liaos...

actually from wat i had read from mag and thread here, d90 is enough if sports is not the main objective. d300 has a solid body and iso higher.

My answer for you.

Got the D300 in July @ $2300 with grip @ $350.

3047307177_069a27c330_b.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.