Nikon D100 review on Computer Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this review a complete CRAP, a total waste of space..... I can't believe they actually put this SHITTY piece up on the newspaper.

firstly, almost everything is copied from somewhere, the "review" is only 2 sentences.. and it contains wrong infomation.

Computer Times has the worst reviews on digital cameras, printers, scanners, etc. After reading the reviews, you will still not get any better picture of the features, pros and cons of the equipment. Everything the reviewers say is so general it basically works for every similar equipment! Any idiot can write that sort of reviews. Those who write the reviews are very likely not avid photographers themselves or people who have used/understood the equipment for some time. PIECE OF BIG CRAP!

in fact...many computer magazine or website write crap review or cheat to make manufacturer happy

IMO, most (or even almost all) computer mag/website in S'pore are like that....what they do is copy out the spec and features from the manual...take some photo and then they call that a "review"

I dun want to mention names but u can see it yourself....ever wonder why pple can come out review almost everyday and also, look at the length and content of the review.....does is sounds like advertisement or a fair and balanced review (ie. talk abt both good/bad pt of the product)?

I can take up to 1 mth to finish a review and my review can be 10-20 PAGES long .....some me pple say that they are too long for them to read, however most pple tell me that all my reviews are very comprehensive and detailed

:thumbsd: :thumbsd:

This is what I call a lazy man's review. Actually quite similar to some UK magazine reviews. DPreview still have one of the most comprehensive reviews around.

;p Once, I did find one review useful.... I only knew that Casio QV2900UX is released here when the review came out in Computer Times. The review was quite crappy (the reviewer doesn't know much abt photography) but it alerted me to the availability of the camera.

Many SG "news reporters" are actually "news readers"; similar many SG "stock analysts" are indeed "stock commentators". That is the state of Singapore press, so sad.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Maybe Clubsnap can approach SPH to offer our services when it comes to editorial materials concerning photography?

they will paid u S$30-$50 for your hardwork...which is definitely not worth it as they can make use of your work to earn much more

Hi,

I know someone who writes for Computer Times personally - for obvious reasons I shall not divuldge his identity.

Apparently, CT reviewers are under some rather stupid rules set by CT for their reviews:

1. Cannot compare other similar products - Since CT is a weekly publication and people tend not to keep it, readers have no way to refer back to reviews of "other products". This is unlike magazines like PC Mag etc where there's always a available reference, benchmark, etc. Reviewers are always different, and they might not know about the other products anyway.

2. Cannot any how condemn the product coz manufacturers will not be happy. In fact, they try to put it in positive light. Otherwise, when the manufacturer is unhappy with the review, they won't advertise anymore, and that means lost revenue.

2.5 : Combination of 1 + 2, can't really make a comment like "The Nikon D100 produces sharper images than the S2 Pro/D60/whatever", coz Fuji/Canon will come after CT.

3. Not enough reviewers, so they anyhow assign stuff to any reviewer. Then you get non-gamers reviewing games, non photographers reviewing cameras and the like.

In the end, they can't really give an objective review of the product because they are so restricted. it ends up like it is - simply a rehash of product information and what the reviewer thinks of it.

So that's the situation as it is. Sad.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by kamwai

they will paid u S$30-$50 for your hardwork...which is definitely not worth it as they can make use of your work to earn much more

No, they pay more than that for articles, depending on length, your credentials, etc. Note: Articles, not reviews.

Regards
CK

Well, I find the standard of Computer Times is dwindling...I remember last time I used to look forward to each and every issue of Computer Times, now I find it's just another "Classifieds" section.

Seldom find articles that interest me, and when I do, they already tell me something I already know.

Originally posted by qhelix
Well, I find the standard of Computer Times is dwindling...I remember last time I used to look forward to each and every issue of Computer Times, now I find it's just another "Classifieds" section.

Seldom find articles that interest me, and when I do, they already tell me something I already know.

me too, i kept all issue since the very first issue...there was even a special edition which is in CD-ROM form...

however, i started collecting computer times as my mum say that they occupies too much space...i stopped collecting CT since last year

hey !!!! look at it this way...at least we have something humourous to laugh at...look at the bright side. :D

yes, CT used to be an exciting morning read. nowadays i just flip though it, now that Fundee mentions, it will be another 'jokes section'

Status
Not open for further replies.