Nikon D100 AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

adree

Dec 9, 2003
Mars
www.adree.net
Hi all,

I've come to notice after taking pictures, when viewed on lcd, or when taking a subject through the viewfinder, the subject will be in focus, and sharp. However, after viewing the images on the computer, at full size, the image tends to be soft. I've always thought it could be my technic was wrong, ie, shaky hands etc.
My friend, a pro photog, with his own lens and my D100, and it's same results. Soft on the focused areas when view full size on the computer.

So I am wondering, is there anything wrong with my camera, or any known problems with the D100, or whether it needs to be recalibrated, or that both of us just have terrible technics?

Does anyone have any clue? :dunno:

Dude, sharpening & post processing, is a part of the DSLR package ;) Perfectly normal to get 'unsharp' images after downloading from the camera itself.

You can apply USM/Sharpness in photoshop to attain the sharpness level you want.

NEVER trust the LCD for sharpness/brightness/focusing. It can only be used to check your framing. Brightness/Exposure use the histogram.

i will first use the more sharp feature on the D100 if that is still unsatisfactory, then id go to photoshop. yes normal settings for the D100 results in unsharp pictures. nothing wrong with your technique.

Maybe the resolution was set as low in the cam body and became "soft" when blown full on the screen?

So what kind of settings for sharpness do you guys set on ur D100? leave it on auto, normal, high?
and what kind of settings do you guys use for USM on PS?
I normally shoot at medium fine.

Jay said:
Maybe the resolution was set as low in the cam body and became "soft" when blown full on the screen?

just to clarify your misconceptions, if the resolution is too low and blown too big on the screen, the image will not become soft. it will become pixelated... hard edged square pixels will result.

adree said:
So what kind of settings for sharpness do you guys set on ur D100? leave it on auto, normal, high?

i shoot at high sharpness on the D100. and dont use much usm on ps...

adree said:

I only shoot on RAW/NEF and occasionally on JPEG Fine.. I use it at normal sharpening.. and yes.. i do sometimes notice softness in my images.. nothing that the unsharp mask in NC4.1 cant rectify..

Status
Not open for further replies.