Nikon.....correct pronounciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by kongg
Just curious........wats the correct pronunciation????

Neee Kon or Nai Kon???

:)

I always use Neee Kon

Originally posted by Klause

I always use Neee Kon

NeeKon for me too.....any Nikon spokesman want to comment on this?

Originally posted by kongg
Just curious........wats the correct pronunciation????

Neee Kon or Nai Kon???

:)

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's a Japanese name.
Nee-cone is how a Japanese would say it.
Nee-kon is how an English speaker would say it.

Should be "Nee Kon". Nai Kon is the American pronunciation. And Nikon came from "Nippon Kongaku" or something, and you don't say "Nai Pon" right? ;p

Regards
CK

I've always pronounced it

Kne-Kon. a sort of short e as that's how I heard Japanese pronounce it in the mid 70s :)

I feel it's fine either way you're pronouncing it.. I don't think Nikon will mind it either. Everybody knows what you're talking about either way you say it.

Similar situation like Linux... should it be Lee-nucks or Lie-nux??

Originally posted by willyfoo
I feel it's fine either way you're pronouncing it.. I don't think Nikon will mind it either. Everybody knows what you're talking about either way you say it.

Similar situation like Linux... should it be Lee-nucks or Lie-nux??

Linus Torvaulds himself pronounces it as "Lee-nucks". Some also pronounce Linix (as in Unix).

Regards
CK

Originally posted by etman

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's a Japanese name.
Nee-cone is how a Japanese would say it.
Nee-kon is how an English speaker would say it.

IMHO, this is the most correct explaination.....:bsmilie:

Hi

i always thought that the correction pronounciation should be:

"kenna con" :D

pple became lazy, so they shorten it to nacon, which somehow became Nikon over the years......

most pple who buy into the Nikon system don't really know what they are actually buying into something and kenna conned

:devil:

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

i always thought that the correction pronounciation should be:

"kenna con" :D

pple became lazy, so they shorten it to nacon, which somehow became Nikon over the years......

most pple who buy into the Nikon system don't really know what they are actually buying into something and kenna conned

:devil:

If it's that bad, why did Kwannon choose a Nikkor lens on it's first camera? It must be good! :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If it's that bad, why did Kwannon choose a Nikkor lens on it's first camera? It must be good! :)

Regards
CK

and the story goes.....

There used to be a camera company selling crap to these bunch of gullible people, hence the company calls them "Can Con".....

as time goes by, this name slowly changes until it becamse "Cancon.... Canon" :p

Originally posted by rueyloon

and the story goes.....

There used to be a camera company selling crap to these bunch of gullible people, hence the company calls them "Can Con".....

as time goes by, this name slowly changes until it becamse "Cancon.... Canon" :p

You see, once upon a time, Cancon dunno how to make lenses. So they approached Nippon Kongaku (Nikon) for a lens. Then they Con people that it's their camera. Shamless. tsk.

:rbounce:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You see, once upon a time, Cancon dunno how to make lenses. So they approached Nippon Kongaku (Nikon) for a lens. Then they Con people that it's their camera. Shamless. tsk.

:rbounce:

nah...u got it all wrong.

Precisely because Canon doesn't know how to make lenses they decide to approach Nikon for a lens. It didn't take them THAT long to figure out the crap that Nikon is actually selling to their Kenna-Con customers though ;)

So, Canon decided to make their own lenses rather than being conned, like Nikon's customers. Now, Canon makes better lenses. :devil:

Originally posted by rueyloon

and the story goes.....

Actually Canon thought they "can con" nikon customers to buy thier product since nikon customers are all kenna conned already. So they decide to stick Nikkor lenses onto the first canon cameras.

however, true blue discerning Canon users hated that Nikkor piece of crap, so Canon turned to making their own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.