Nikon CoolPix 775 Pictures Too Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cci[RR]us

I have this Coolpix 775 digital camera, and I must say that it's rather good for a cheap digital camera for average use.

But I'm having this problem of dark pictures. If I take shots indoors, the photos will look very very dark. The situation is slightly better if I take the photos outdoors. Photos taken at 12pm will look like photos taken at 6pm. :(

I'm using AUTO mode by the way.

To overcome this problem, I increased the EXPOSURE setting from 0 to +1.3 or sometimes +1.7. This is really troublesome as the setting do not stay after I off the camera. Sometimes I do forget to set the exposure and my pictures will appear to be horrible.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

PS: I heard that ISO also plays a part too. Sorry I'm a newbie so I dunno the difference between ISO and Exposure. How do I change ISO in 775?

Originally posted by mpenza
did you use flash indoors?

It's set to auto mode, and the flash is always on.

I'll try to post the pic later.

Below are the photos taken at 1900hrs at somewhere in Shenton Way... Don't you find them kinda dark?

Auto mode:
DSCN0054.JPG

Night Shot mode:
DSCN0055.JPG

Auto mode +1.7 Exposure:
DSCN0056.JPG

just as I expected. the pics appear "dark" because the sky is too bright. but overall the pic is about moderately gray which is what the camera tries to achieve.

just as I expected. the pics appear "dark" because the sky is too bright. but overall the pic is about moderately gray which is what the camera tries to achieve.

So what should I do? Maybe you could give me some pointers, or direct me some newbies' guide to digital photography?

Thanks.

when your shot includes a lot of sky, use +EV to properly expose the foreground objects, or use centre-weighted metering and meter the foreground objects.

when your shot includes a lot of sky, use +EV to properly expose the foreground objects, or use centre-weighted metering and meter the foreground objects.

I understand the first part, but what's centre-weighted metering?

I'm reading the chapter on Fine Tuning Exposure now... very informative.

Originally posted by cci[RR]us

I understand the first part, but what's centre-weighted metering?

I'm reading the chapter on Fine Tuning Exposure now... very informative.

not too sure whether you camera has it. you got to check out the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.