Nikon compact cameras lousy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultchris

Jan 28, 2004
was at John 3:16 earlier on .. and this guy told me tat Nikon makes the best slr but the worst compact cam .. is it true?

tho i use a nikon dSLR, getting a nikon compact have nv come into my mind... not even once.
but well, i have not use a nikon compact be4, so can't say much on its performance.

I own a nikon dslr and a nikon compact. I would have to say nikon compact are not the worst but also not the best. In terms of certain features it may be lacking as compared to other brands but personally, i feel that it is sufficient for my usage.

As for dslr, definitely one of the leaders in technology (and price also, as we consumers are paying for their heavy advertising also :cry:)

thanks ut the shop person at john 3:16 told mi tat the pictures taken with a nikon compact is pixelated .. do u encounter tat prob ??? Instead he told mi to get a Fuji one ard tat price but i really dun like the design ....

Unless you own the Coolpix 990 or 995. I still keep mine after so many years.

hmmm .. how about the current L series ? anyone has an idea ??

Was using coolpix 8700.. and it's great cam. can shoot in RAW also.
Not sure you catogeries this as compact cam.
hmmm .. how about the current L series ? anyone has an idea ??

ok .. thanks for all the replies .. hopefully someone who has used the L series can give mi some advise . All advise r deeply appreciated !

There is a large range of nikon L series and each of them can be very different in terms of lens quality, zoom range and resolution. The later generation of L series (L14 and L15) are a major improvement to the earlier versions. L15 even have vr capability packed in (for a low price as compared to S series like S7c with vr but much more x).

It really depends on ur budget and what u r looking for. My fren uses a L5 (also with VR) and the pictures look great. Ultimately, its really e way u take pictures that determines how good the picture looks.

Btw, wonder who told u tat nikon compact not good in John 3:16. I am a frequent buyer from there, so someday go down nag at him... ;)

i'm using the p5000. although may not match up the top compacts around but it can hold its weight against the usual suspects. my company photographer was surprised at the IQ of the camera and regretted getting something else when he was buying a new compact for the company.

I've been using Nikon SLRs and dSLRs for more than 20yrs. But I never fancy their compacts.

IMO, Canon and Fuji compacts are better.

ok .. i was thinking of getting the L14 though .. but its made in vietnam ...

got a coolpix s6.... well performance is so so... only plus point is 3 inch lcd...;) well thinking of getting a lumix... the only compact with wide angle lens...

whats the best recommendation besides coolpix L series for a low budget of Below $300 ? No Fuji , Kodak ... thanks

whats the best recommendation besides coolpix L series for a low budget of Below $300 ? No Fuji , Kodak ... thanks

A used Canon G2. Should be around $250 to $300 now depending on its condition. It was one of the best compact camera at that time, on par with the Coolpix 9000. Its larger CCD sensor means less noise and better image quality. I know a commercial photographer who still uses his G3 (almost the same as the G2, except for some added features) for product shoots.

There are people who buy their compact cameras because they "like the design". There are those who buy theirs because of its lightweight, its long zoom, its anti-shake feature, its battery life, its large screen, its PRICE, its compactness (is there such word?) or its brand name, etc. Ultimately, we are going to look at the images it produce, so why not go for image quality? I am sure most Clubsnappers will agree with this. No point buying a camera which looks 'cool' but the images suck. A very good example is Casio compact cameras. They look cool, small and have anti-shake features BUT the image looks bad (from my experience, no amount of Photoshop work can clean up images from a Casio camera. The noise level is unbelievable). However, Casio is good for making calculators and watches (I wear a G-Shock watch and use their scientific calculators).

So... folks, the choice is yours (after all it is your money that you are spending, not mine).

There are people who buy their compact cameras because they "like the design". There are those who buy theirs because of its lightweight, its long zoom, its anti-shake feature, its battery life, its large screen, its PRICE, its compactness (is there such word?) or its brand name, etc. Ultimately, we are going to look at the images it produce, so why not go for image quality? I am sure most Clubsnappers will agree with this. No point buying a camera which looks 'cool' but the images suck. A very good example is Casio compact cameras. They look cool, small and have anti-shake features BUT the image looks bad (from my experience, no amount of Photoshop work can clean up images from a Casio camera. The noise level is unbelievable). However, Casio is good for making calculators and watches (I wear a G-Shock watch and use their scientific calculators).

So... folks, the choice is yours (after all it is your money that you are spending, not mine).

Datz what I mean when I said Canon and Fuji compacts are better. The IQ. :thumbsup:

Nikon has a few good compact digicams: the 9xx series with the articulate lens, the 8400/8700/8800 which have very good lenses (but VERY slow response). For the longest time, Nikon compact digicams have the slowest response time. The P5100 should be pretty fast but the lens is just not as good as the competing G9 at the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.