nikon CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
another query from me:
regarding nikon CLS, currently I'm playing with my D90 and SB600

I'm actually came to this point on using multiple flash scenario and like to know more and if possible..

case 1: using D90 in commander mode, triggering 2-3 SB600

case 2: using D90 with SB80/SB900 attached and in commander mode (master) and with 2 SB600 as slaves.

shooting with flashes with above cases, any differences? pro and cons?
is case 1 even considered as a possible scenario with no SB800/900 as master flash?

another query from me:

I'm actually came to this point on using multiple flash scenario and like to know more and if possible..

case 2: using D90 with SB80/SB900 attached and in commander mode (master) and with 2 SB600 as slaves.

is case 1 even considered as a possible scenario with no SB800/900 as master flash?

Yup, case 1 is definitely possible ;)

but what is the difference of pple setting up using SB800/900 in this case?

You might wanna ask in the Nikon forum instead of here... You have a very product-specific question.

ok.

can mod help to move this thread to nikon?

using a SB-800/SB-900 will open the option of using more than 2 groups :eek:

also i'll allow you fire a more powerful from the camera? Cos the built-in is pretty weak, see?

Difference between having SB800/900 as commander, and using pop-up flash, is the greater power of the SB, as well as having more channels/groups (can't remember which one).

using a SB-800/SB-900 will open the option of using more than 2 groups :eek:

also i'll allow you fire a more powerful from the camera? Cos the built-in is pretty weak, see?

And more powerful equals to being able to trigger remote flashes that are further away...

oorh i c.

so however if my flashes are placed nearby, I can actually use my cam popup light with C mode and trigger off the SB600..

alright and you guys mentioned about groups and channels, should there b any differences if different channels are set?

say Grp A: -0.7 EV
Grp B: -0.3 EV

is my abv eg a right one if using a commander speedlight?

without the option above, and only the in-cam popup flash as C, so my 2 remote SB600 can only fire at the same output..

another query from me:

Yes possible, for both senarios. But you may be limited as in the number of groups which you can set. I remember D70 was limited to 1 group only. The D200 onwards are able to control up to 3 groups IIRC.

With a SB-800/SB-900 as commander, you have more groups to control. I.e. flash one as group 1 with a pre-set value and flash two as group 2 with a different setting.

oorh i c.

so however if my flashes are placed nearby, I can actually use my cam popup light with C mode and trigger off the SB600..

alright and you guys mentioned about groups and channels, should there b any differences if different channels are set?

say Grp A: -0.7 EV
Grp B: -0.3 EV

is my abv eg a right one if using a commander speedlight?

without the option above, and only the in-cam popup flash as C, so my 2 remote SB600 can only fire at the same output..

The purpose of setting channels is for the flashlights to be less likely triggered by commander light of another photographer. Suppose you set all your flashlights to channel 1 and another person nearby set his to channel 1 as well. If his commander light fires and your flashlights can receive the signal, yours will fire as well. To avoid this situation, you can set your channel to 2, 3 or 4 and they won't be affected by his commander. However, if you set your commander light to channel 1 and your flashlights to channel 2, they won't be triggered when commander fires ;p

Grouping of flashlight is for you to control the output from each group as you had indicated. You can allocate SB-600 (1) to group A and SB-600 (2) to group B and you will be able to get different output according to your setting.

it's possible.

when using the d90 in commander mode, u need to use the built-in flash if not the remote trigger will not work.

if u r zoom in on an subject, the built-in flash might cause a shadow on ur pic...
alternatively, u can cover up the built-in flash.

case 2 is definitely better

yup yup ok got the pic,
was comparing the pro n cons..

1 SB900 = 2*SB600

i think u can get a su-800 also if u do not wan to have a flash in the front

yup yup ok got the pic,
was comparing the pro n cons..

1 SB900 = 2*SB600

Not necessarily... it all depends on how you use it too.

haha i mean in term of pricing.. :)

haha i mean in term of pricing.. :)

Abt there... in the price list,

SB-600 is about $310 to $375
SB-900 is about $640 to $680

2 x SB600 might be quite fun and offer some creative lighting options. But a bit of a pain in the a$$ to set-up though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.