Gear:
D70, Kit Lens, Either 2 or 3 x SB800s, Light tent from EastGear:

Exposure:
1/60 sec at F16

01. Without BG light, 2 X SB800s
Wine_02.jpg

02. With BG light, 3 X SB800s
Wine_03.jpg

These are very good shots IMO. Good try and good takes. :)

Just a little suggestion you can try. For the 2nd shot, the light from the SB-800 caught the wine glass and the graded background is a little too harsh. Perhaps you can try angling to flash so that it doesn't catch the wine glass and also put a piece of tracing paper through it to diffuse it.

For the 3rd and 4th shot, maybe you can try a little double exposure technique of painting the bottles with a maglite(poor man's light brush) in the dark and then for the second exposure, expose it with your flash with a slight underexposure for the metered flash reading.

Just some thoughts. Well done! ;)

CLS :thumbsup:

I think I'll use 3 SB800s this weekend for a studio shot ;) heehee... oops I need a D2H/D70 hehe...

CaeSiuM said:
These are very good shots IMO. Good try and good takes. :)

Just a little suggestion you can try. For the 2nd shot, the light from the SB-800 caught the wine glass and the graded background is a little too harsh. Perhaps you can try angling to flash so that it doesn't catch the wine glass and also put a piece of tracing paper through it to diffuse it.

For the 3rd and 4th shot, maybe you can try a little double exposure technique of painting the bottles with a maglite(poor man's light brush) in the dark and then for the second exposure, expose it with your flash with a slight underexposure for the metered flash reading.

Just some thoughts. Well done! ;)

Thanks CaeSiuM 4 the feedback n tips ;p

Had read about the light painting somewhere before, will give it a try sometime soon :)

Espn, there's nothing in these shots that illustrates the strengths of Nikon's CLS. Everything in here has been achievable for at least a few decades using standard photoslaves. Come to think of it, in the studio, you'd probably hardwire everything to begin with.

Nice shots btw.

the back lighting is not done well. i prefer the ones without the backlight.

showtime said:
the back lighting is not done well. i prefer the ones without the backlight.

Thanks for the feedback. Ya, the backlight is too harsh and not natural, need too experimernt more, not sure is it becoz of the limited space i had for the BG light.

Thanks again, appreciate the feedback :)

its more likely because the source is small(speedlight)... a larger source (softer light) might do the trick.

showtime said:
its more likely because the source is small(speedlight)... a larger source (softer light) might do the trick.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Was using 3 SB800. Perhaps i need to diffuse the back light more, but space really very tight :(

Noted your comments :) will try out again next round.

Jed said:
Espn, there's nothing in these shots that illustrates the strengths of Nikon's CLS. Everything in here has been achievable for at least a few decades using standard photoslaves. Come to think of it, in the studio, you'd probably hardwire everything to begin with.

Nice shots btw.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jed, perhaps like you mentioned, everything's been hardwired in studio for the photoslaves, but the CLS on the SB-800s are not done so. Everything's commanded by the main camera which does the respective calculations and then passing it to the 'slave' SB-800s. I'm just pretty awed by what CLS can do, by bringing out the 'ambient' lighting which makes the images look so natural.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, I've no chance to play with CLS, and for one thing is I'm pretty proud of what it can deliver :)

Also... if SB-800s can do these... why do we still want studio lights? :bsmilie: Just kidding ;)

interesting to note that the computer almost get it right in most cases. Exposure is about there but need tweeking to make it go from good to excellent.

Other areas really need work - it appears the tent is not as good as it could be or is it operator error.

Pictures are good starting point for really great still life work. Good effort for seting up.

insomia said:
Other areas really need work - it appears the tent is not as good as it could be or is it operator error.

Hi insomia, Thanks 4 the feedback. Can u elaborate?

Appreciate yr comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies.